Mass Effect 1 in game menu no longer responds to mouse click or highlights menu

by HecticBru

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 1 in game menu no longer responds to mouse click or highlights menu

★ Apprentice

Hello, I have the strangest defect with Mass Effect 1 on Windows 10 64bit. The mouse cursor in the game menu moves but does not highlight menu options or respond to mouse clicks. I can't see any others having this issue in forums after a quick look. I have tried a corded mouse, bluetooth mouth and laptop track pad. This happens on both my laptop and desktop pc both running windows 10 leading me to believe it is not a mouse issue or issue with one of my platforms since the defect occurs on both. Please can you advise? Thanks

Message 1 of 13 (7,945 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 1 in game menu no longer responds to mouse click or highlights m

Community Manager

@HecticBru Sorry, to clarify what I mean is that the Origin overlay sometimes doesn't play well with other overlays.

If disabling the Origin one works for you that's great. However some games use Origin In Game for invites and such, so if that's a problem for some folks they might want to start by disabling other overlay programs. Once they find the specific conflicting program they should be able to disable this if they want to use OIG. 

In your case if you don't use OIG you can just leave it off though. 

I can assure you that we are well aware of these issues, but having more info about what programs can be a factor when folks have issues is helpful.

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 10 of 13 (10,424 Views)

All Replies

Re: Mass Effect 1 in game menu no longer responds to mouse click or highlights m

★ Apprentice

No others are having this issue. suggest reporting in a longer post people are adding to here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-1/Mass-Effect-1-Unable-to-get-the-mouse-to-work-properly/m-p/51...

Message 2 of 13 (7,907 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am having exactly the same issue except in Windows 8. I've run ME 2 and 3 with no problem but 1 does not respond to my mouse or my keyboard. I can't even alt-ctl-del out.  I have looked everywhere to see what might cause this strange issue. I wanted to play the entire trilogy which I just bought and can't. 

Message 3 of 13 (7,866 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes, it's really bad. Thanks for posting and sharing added win 8 experience. Enough have to experience this and report for them to do something I think. Hopefully it affects other games too and they patch the client. The force Origin close option is not a solution - needs fixing.

Message 4 of 13 (7,861 Views)

★ Apprentice

Guys, gals, seems it's not a fix (so don't 'accept solution') but disabling Origin in game seems to once again recognise mouse input in-game. The bug is with the Origin client. I have no idea if this then prevents you exporting profiles between ME1 and ME2.

Workaround: Right click your game icon in Origin, click 'Game Properties', tick the 'disable Origin overlay for this game' checkbox

Message 5 of 13 (7,826 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This worked for me, thanks!

Message 6 of 13 (7,733 Views)

★★ Novice

SAME PROBLEM, SOLVED BY UNTICKING ""ENBALE ORIGIN IN GAME""

Message 7 of 13 (7,632 Views)

Community Manager

@denniskit1234 Thanks for the post. This is usually due to a conflict with another program, perhaps if you try turning off any program with an overlay (conflicts between overlays can cause weird issues) you can find the source of the issue?

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 8 of 13 (7,620 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_David wrote:

@denniskit1234 Thanks for the post. This is usually due to a conflict with another program, perhaps if you try turning off any program with an overlay (conflicts between overlays can cause weird issues) you can find the source of the issue?

Thanks. 

EA_David it's certainly the Origin client causing this. There are multiple other threads on the forum about this and I've tried to share the information about having to turn origin 'in-game' off. I'm still unclear if anyone on the Origin team has investigated or registered a defect for fixing. Thanks

Message 9 of 13 (7,611 Views)

Community Manager

@HecticBru Sorry, to clarify what I mean is that the Origin overlay sometimes doesn't play well with other overlays.

If disabling the Origin one works for you that's great. However some games use Origin In Game for invites and such, so if that's a problem for some folks they might want to start by disabling other overlay programs. Once they find the specific conflicting program they should be able to disable this if they want to use OIG. 

In your case if you don't use OIG you can just leave it off though. 

I can assure you that we are well aware of these issues, but having more info about what programs can be a factor when folks have issues is helpful.

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 10 of 13 (10,425 Views)