Mass Effect 1 - Unable to save (Career/progress)

by Caerban

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 1 - Unable to save (Career/progress)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello,

Every time I try ME1 the game's progress isn't saved, my Career (character profile) doesn't exist anymore, same for my save files, only the default Male Shepard profile is in the list.

Funny thing is that the 'resume' option is available in the main screen. So somehow it remembers I started 'something'. Resuming doesn't work unfortunately because the saved info is lost.

I checked the Bioware folder on my D drive, my saves are there woohoo! But wait, they're 0 KByte and all saved at the same moment (when I quit the game). Doesn't make sense.

So after quitting the game all progress is overwritten by a 0 KByte version, which contains nothing

Although my profile has some KBytes, ME1 won't recognize it anyway.

Some extra info (also on the screenshot I added to this post) that might be usefull:

- Cloud saving is turned on, but also cloud doesn't save my progress.

- My OS Windows 7 (64 bit) is on C drive, while all Doc/User data is on my D drive. This is to boot Windows faster and to keep my C (500 Gb SSD) drive safe from the ever growing data in Doc/User folders.

Does anyone know what to do?

Kind regards,

Caerban

Message 1 of 12 (23,542 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 1 - Unable to save (Career/progress) (retry)

@Caerban

Have you tried turning cloud saves off ? to see if saving works ok locally

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

View in thread

Message 3 of 12 (25,491 Views)

All Replies

Mass Effect 1 - Unable to save (Career/progress) (retry)

★★ Novice

Hello,

First my apologies if this thread appeared twice on this forum. I can't find it anymore altough I posted it about 20 minutes ago. I edited my post several times in a row (english is not my native language) and then suddenly it wasn't on this forum anymore:

Every time I try ME1 the game's progress isn't saved, my Career (character profile) doesn't exist anymore, same for my save files, only the default Male Shepard profile is in the list.

Funny thing is that the 'resume' option is available in the main screen. So somehow it remembers I started 'something'. Resuming doesn't work unfortunately because the saved info is lost.

I checked the Bioware folder on my D drive, my saves are there woohoo! But wait, they're 0 KByte and all saved at the same moment (when I quit the game). Doesn't make sense.

So after quitting the game all progress is overwritten by a 0 KByte version, which contains nothing

Although my profile has some KBytes, ME1 won't recognize it anyway.

Some extra info (also on the screenshot I added to this post) that might be usefull:

- Cloud saving is turned on, but also cloud doesn't save my progress.

- My OS Windows 7 (64 bit) is on C drive, while all Doc/User data is on my D drive. This is to boot Windows faster and to keep my C (500 Gb SSD) drive safe from the ever growing data in Doc/User folders.

Does anyone know what to do?

Kind regards,

Caerban

Message 2 of 12 (23,577 Views)

@Caerban

Have you tried turning cloud saves off ? to see if saving works ok locally

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 3 of 12 (25,492 Views)

★★ Novice

I moved the installation to C drive to see if that worked, but no.
Turning off cloud worked for me, unfortunately this turns off cloud for all the Origin games.

What I noticed during my disappearing savegames is that when the main screen menu comes up (After 'press any key screen'), there's a message in a bar that says: 'Updating content'.
Updating what? It happened every time.

I think that is the moment my profile/save become broken. With cloud turned off there's no more updating as well.

They should change the message to: 'Messing up your content' Standard smile

Should I report this issue to EA Support as well? Or are they active on this forum?

I prefer cloud being enabled so I won't mess up the saves from games where cloud system works properly, but for now this will work.

Thanks for the advice! Standard smile

Message 4 of 12 (23,548 Views)

@Caerban

No harm trying to reach a game advisor - see this link 

Have you tried right mouse clicking the game shortcut in origin and selecting repair etc ?

Photo of my New Speeder 

Message 5 of 12 (23,548 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for the link Standard smile

Yes repair option was one of the first things I tried, it's one of the thing I got used to do from Steam games that have an error. But I got so used to cloud on Steam that I forgot about it that this could cause an issue in Origin.

Well at least I can play it now and meanwhile I'll inform a game advisor. This is an old game but maybe if the error is somehow cloud related they might want to know about it.

Kind regards,

Caerban

Message 6 of 12 (23,510 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1 - Unable to save (Career/progress)

★★★★★ Novice

I've had similar experiences before, and it turned out that my anti-virus blocked the creation of ME's save files. I was using Avast Premier, and the component responsible for the issue was the Ransomware Shield. Once I disabled it, the problem was gone. I know it's been a long time, but hopefully this is what you're looking for.

Message 7 of 12 (23,082 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you

Message 8 of 12 (20,573 Views)

★★★ Novice

Well, my saves don't work - with or without Cloud Storage. No Antivirus - only Windows 10 anti-malware software. And when it saves it says "saving the content", but all I can do is switch between my three characters, that I've played for 10 minutes, and none of them have saves. I installed Origin Games - so Mass effect on the D disk, instead of C, but the saves directory in Origin when I click on properties shows disk C. I will try to run the game on administrator, perhaps with Compatibility to Win XP. I've played Mass Effect 1 on many computers. I just bought this copy couple of days ago - it is my FIFTH copy of the game - I wanted to show support for great RPG/Shooter. And instead I cannot play.

Three screen captures says how it looks. There are no saves on computer - there is only one profile in Documents - should be 4 (I created 3).

Message 9 of 12 (20,323 Views)

★ Guide

Thanks! That solved it for me!

Message 10 of 12 (18,582 Views)