Mass Effect 1 - Switching from Steam to Origin (DLC Issues)

by Witchiddy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 1 - Switching from Steam to Origin (DLC Issues)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So, I have the entire Mass Effect trilogy on Origin, but when I first got Mass Effect 1, I got it on Steam and did a whole playthrough of it. Now I'm doing my second playthrough because I realized I skipped a lot of stuff in my first playthrough. And I mean a lot. 

I started the new game on Steam, however I wanted to amp up my game a bit. I managed to tinker with the BioEngine.ini file to get the graphics to match the Ultra High settings I had it set to, however Garrus' face was bugging me. I knew the Origin version had a patch that addressed the issue, and that the Steam version never got it.

Before making the attempt to switch over to Origin, I downloaded Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station for my Steam version of the game. Upon opening Mass Effect 1 in Origin, I hit "Continue", knowing my saves would transfer. However, I get greeted with the message that it cannot load my save due to my Origin version of the game not having BDtS and Pinnacle Station. Naturally, I checked the "Additional Content" section on Origin and found nothing. Some Google searches later, I read that the Origin version of the game is apparently supposed to have both DLC included, yet upon checking the "Downloadable Content" section in-game, it was empty.

Am I just forced to play on Steam and deal with Garrus' low-res face (a silly reason to want to switch to Origin, but it really sticks out to me) or did I goof up somewhere and there's an easy fix?

Message 1 of 4 (720 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 1 - Switching from Steam to Origin (DLC Issues)

@Witchiddy

For the Garrus textures:

AFAIK the low quality Garrus texture problem was never fixed, not on Steam and neither on Origin.

You can make it better by editing the "BIOEngine.ini" (as described in this post, I assume you already did that) but the only way to really fix it is to use a high definition Textures Mod like MEUITM.

For the DLC problem:

The two ME1 DLCs are included in the main game files by now and don't show up under "extra content". 

Did you made your save games under a different language as you use now?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,055 Views)

All Replies

@Witchiddy

For the Garrus textures:

AFAIK the low quality Garrus texture problem was never fixed, not on Steam and neither on Origin.

You can make it better by editing the "BIOEngine.ini" (as described in this post, I assume you already did that) but the only way to really fix it is to use a high definition Textures Mod like MEUITM.

For the DLC problem:

The two ME1 DLCs are included in the main game files by now and don't show up under "extra content". 

Did you made your save games under a different language as you use now?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 4 (1,056 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yeah, I figured that Garrus' textures were never fixed and won't be without the use of mods, so I kind of gave up and will just have to tell myself that his face will be nicer in Mass Effect 2.

And if the DLC in the Origin version aren't stated to be "extra content" that could explain why I never saw them in the screen yet I was told that they're in the game regardless.

I didn't save my games under a different language, the only difference I've really made to the game on Steam is editing the "BIOEngine.ini" file and installing the DLC through an EA downloads page.

Overall, I've decided to just kind of stay with Steam since I've had no issues with it now and I've already configured Mass Effect 2 to grab the saves from Steam. 

Thank you, though, for confirming that the ME1 DLCs are included but not as "extra content"! ^^

Message 3 of 4 (668 Views)

@Witchiddy

You're welcome.

Message 4 of 4 (651 Views)