Mass Effect 1- General Protection Fault Error

by Kienowa

Original Post

Mass Effect 1- General Protection Fault Error

★★★ Novice

I am getting a general protection fault error when I start Mass Effect 1. The splash screen comes up and then I get the message. I believe this all started happening after I moved my games library to a different hard drive on my PC. Alice the Madness Returns is also crashing now when I start it up. I have tried verifying the game files of Mass Effect, re-downloading, moving it back to the C drive, and re-downloading it on the C drive. It still gives me the error. I have tried running Origin and the game admin mode, and xp pack 2 and 3. I downloaded patch 1.2, ran it, and started the game, but it would not start using it either. It just kept asking for my cd key. I would put it in but it would not recognize it because it kept popping back up over and over again. I am running Windows 10 Creators Edition- 64 version. Does anyone have any ideas that might fix my problem? The picture attached is the error I get when I try to load the game after verifying the files.  

Message 1 of 13 (3,149 Views)

Re: Mass Effect 1- General Protection Fault Error

★★★★★ Expert

I'm running ME1 on WIn10 Pro/64-bit (all updates) with no problem.  So it's not the Windows version.  Please provide a DXdiag report so we have something more to go on. 

See this post:  How to post the relevant info when you create a question.

Message 2 of 13 (3,128 Views)

★★★ Novice

https://hastebin.com/ahorizaboz.tex

I will say at one point earlier when I had the game, before I moved the game I did install the MEUITM mod pack, but I don't believe that should have anything to do with this because I have re-downloaded and reinstalled the game multiple times since then. This should be a fresh install. I deleted all config files in My documents folder and installed from scratch. I still get this error every time. Like I said the issue seemed to start when I moved my games to the different drive. All my other games verified and updated but ME1 and Alice: The Madness Returns seemed to have messed up. Contacted EA and support said change you Origin library back to the C drive; download and install there; and it should work, but it didn't. 

Message 3 of 13 (3,122 Views)

@Kienowa

"GMatrix2D" is a Scaleform class type, I would assume this is a PhysX problem.

Try this version of the "NVIDIA PhysX Legacy System Software"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 13 (3,109 Views)

★★★ Novice
Sorry Holger, that didn't seem to work. Thank you for the suggestion. Funny thing is I downloaded it on my old laptop and the game runs fine on Windows 10. Well to an extent, my laptop is old. I'm wondering if it is not an NVidia thing. My laptop has an AMD card in it.
Message 5 of 13 (3,087 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

General protection fault is most often a graphics driver issue. I recommend downloading the latest Geforce drivers and performing a clean driver installation.

Here's a guide. Step 1 is outdated. Use the Windows search function to find the control panel.

I got the error with MEIUTM once, but it contained more detail.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 13 (3,069 Views)

@Kienowa

I second @Fred_vdp here, preform the clean installation of the driver.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 7 of 13 (3,060 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thanks Hero and Holger. I will try this next. I see that NVidia just released a new driver a few days ago so now would be a good time to try that. I also had some issues with my gpu driver with Windows Creator’s edition dropped. Finally got that fixed, but who knows it might be stemming from that.
Message 8 of 13 (3,050 Views)

★★★ Novice
Sorry Fred and Holger. I called Fred Hero by mistake.
Message 9 of 13 (3,049 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Well Fred, I just tried that. I did a clean installation of the drivers and still got the same error. I installed the legacy driver and ran that and I still got the error. I also tried deleting the Open Al files and using a new version of Open AL from the Mass Effect Wiki. I will say that sometimes now I am getting the error and sometimes it just crashes at the splash screen. Do you guys have any other ideas? This is really starting to get old. Oh yeah before that I installed the official 1.2 patch from the Bioware site, and when I do that it asks me for my cd key, I put it in, and then it keeps asking me. It never accepts it. I have also tried running every compatibility mode of Windows there is. I've ran Origin in compatibility mode.  I'm about to give up. It just looks like I will never play this game again. I've seen multiple posts about this error. I don't know why they haven't fixed this yet after so many years. Is there any possible way to get the file it says is missing, or is it really missing? I don't even see a list of files that looks like that.

Message 10 of 13 (3,038 Views)