ME1 at 3840x2160 DSR - New Startup Error

by nerdwithbigstick

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ME1 at 3840x2160 DSR - New Startup Error

★★★ Novice

Until recently, I was able to use Nvidia's DSR feature to "force" the game to supersample the resolution up to 3840.  This gives cleaner textures and applies a gaussian filter that makes it look very good for its age, without any modding required.  (DSR is a feature you can set in the Nvidia Control Panel, under Global Settings; choose the resolution upscale (i.e. 2x, 4x) you want and set the amount of filtering - of course if you are already using a 4K monitor there isn't much reason to set this unless you want to go up to 8k and push back down to 4K output which would have the same effect.  Primarily DSR feature is for users who want cleaner textures on older games, like this one.  It can also negate the need for anti-aliasing since the sampling is effectively supersample AA.)

ANYWAY - within the last few weeks, I'll say maybe a month, the game will no longer launch at any resolution above 1980x1020.  

I don't know whether this is an Nvidia driver conflict or some other settings conflict.  I confirmed the resolution setting is the problem as I had previously repaired, and reinstalled, the game.  So it's a vanilla Origin install.  You can confirm this issue by changing your settings in the MassEffectConfig executable and then attempting to launch the game, assuming you've set up DSR under the Nvidia CP and are running at a non-native resolution.

Has anyone else run into this and found a fix?

Message 1 of 5 (2,430 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ME1 at 3840x2160 DSR - New Startup Error

★★★ Novice

I just wanted to follow up on this.  DSR becoming non-functional is a known issue with Nvidia under the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10.  It does not affect all users and is not drvier-specific.  There is no official solution.  It is not specific to Mass Effect - when it occurs, it happens universally, including on the Windows desktop.  In other words - it is conflict in the way Windows handles the display.  I was not able to find any explanation, but a perusal of the Nvidia forums shows multiple cases of this.

I reset Windows 10 using the OS recovery options, and the issue resolved.  I personally believe this is a Windows problem and not necessarily an Nvidia problem, but it is likely brought on by a set of specific conditions related to legacy artifacts on either the OS or the Nvidia drivers, or both.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (2,892 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@nerdwithbigstick

I have Windows set to higher than native resolution, DSR set to 4X, and can play ME with good performance and no issue but I do notice that the resolution does drop to what the in-game setting is.

Currently using driver ver. 388.43, what drivers are you on? Maybe post your Dxdiag here?

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

barry.png
Message 2 of 5 (2,420 Views)

@nerdwithbigstick

Like @EA_Barry I also have no problem wit DSR (1440p) and ME1.

I am still at 388.13. 

A DxDiag would be helpful.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 5 (2,414 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just wanted to follow up on this.  DSR becoming non-functional is a known issue with Nvidia under the Fall Creators Update for Windows 10.  It does not affect all users and is not drvier-specific.  There is no official solution.  It is not specific to Mass Effect - when it occurs, it happens universally, including on the Windows desktop.  In other words - it is conflict in the way Windows handles the display.  I was not able to find any explanation, but a perusal of the Nvidia forums shows multiple cases of this.

I reset Windows 10 using the OS recovery options, and the issue resolved.  I personally believe this is a Windows problem and not necessarily an Nvidia problem, but it is likely brought on by a set of specific conditions related to legacy artifacts on either the OS or the Nvidia drivers, or both.

Message 4 of 5 (2,893 Views)

Community Manager

@nerdwithbigstick

Thank you very much for posting.

barry.png
Message 5 of 5 (2,373 Views)