ME1 Save/Load not working. Tried all other options! Please help!

by Mjmandk

Original Post

ME1 Save/Load not working. Tried all other options! Please help!

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Please help! I can't load or save any saves!

This is completely fresh install followed by ME1 Recalibrated and ALOT + Metium texture packs.

And completely new character starts.

I have went through the majority of other posts regarding the save and load problems.

None of them have worked for me.

Everything is installed in the default locations

Turning on/off cloud saves in Origin

Putting everything off read-only

Administrative rights on the exe file as well as white listing both the game and save folder in iobit malware fighter.

Changing defaultenginge savepath

Nothing has worked.

I noticed yesterday that in Mass effect/Binaries that it had created 2 folders named completely random names, one of them being "ers" and then other something in the lines of "rogram files x86"

In those folders there actually were a save file from a test character saving right after the intro.

I have no clue as to why these folders have been created when the DefaultEngine.ini has always been either the default or the full location with "" included.

I also noticed that instead of the regular save file, apart from the "Profile.MassEffectProfile" file, I somehow now have 3 zip files in the document/Bioware/Masseffect/save folder named:
John00_01

John00_QuickSave
John01_01

Inside each of these folders there are 3 .SAV files named:
player.sav

state.sav

WorldSavePackage.sav

I honestly have no idea where to go next, and this is starting to frustrate me beyond compare.

I'm running Windows 10.

Please help me!

Sincerely Mikkel

Message 1 of 7 (1,335 Views)

Re: ME1 Save/Load not working. Tried all other options! Please help!

★ Novice

By adding the usual "C:\Users\...\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Save" in savepath in the engine.ini

I can confirm that it is only after adding that, that the game will create these weird folder in binaries, where this time it is called "ers" and in here the new save files will be found.

Seems to me, this will be the only way to play it from now on.

Message 2 of 7 (1,298 Views)

@Mjmandk 

Try this:

• Make sure "Cloud save" in Origin is disabled.
  • Close Origin completely.
  • Go to your "Documents\Bioware\Mass Effect" folder and move the "Save" and the "Config" folders to your desktop.
  • Start Origin > Start the game from the Origin game library > test.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 7 (1,297 Views)

★ Novice

If you can confirn that it will continue to work as long as I can see the saves and still load them in this "ers" folder. Then I am completely fine with this, and don't need it to work any "better".

If it won't then, then I will give your options a go. Standard smile 

Message 4 of 7 (1,284 Views)

@Mjmandk 

@Mjmandk wrote:

If you can confirn that it will continue to work as long as I can see the saves and still load them in this "ers" folder. Then I am completely fine with this, and don't need it to work any "better".

It should continue to work.

But neither ME2 nor the ME2 config utility will "see" your saves if they are in your game folder and there is a chance that ME2 gets the same problem.

This is also most properly not a Zip file in your "Document/Bioware/Mass Effect/save" location.
Windows only somehow assigned the file extension of the Saves to the Zip program. The "player.sav", "state.sav", and "WorldSavePackage.sav" files are the normal content of a ME1 save file.

I suspect that this either a botchered "BIOEngine.ini" or a permissions issue on your system.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 5 of 7 (1,235 Views)

★ Novice

There shouldn't be any permission issues since I am the only user on this PC, with full administrative rights.

If it is a botched BIOEngine.ini, I would suppose reinstalling it would work, al though that clearly didn't fix anything, since I had already reinstalled it twice. 

I guess I will just deal with this issue when it comes to ME:2, next time. Standard smile

Message 6 of 7 (1,202 Views)

@Mjmandk 

@Mjmandk  schrieb:

There shouldn't be any permission issues since I am the only user on this PC, with full administrative rights.

Since Windows Vista no user Administrator account has full administrative rights.
All programs are executed in user mode without administrative rights, that's why you get prompted for administrative permissions from time to time.

It gets even more complicated if it comes to write permissions for protected spaces like "Program Files (x86)".

Mjmandk  schrieb:

I guess I will just deal with this issue when it comes to ME:2, next time. Standard smile

Hope it works without problems. Standard smile

Message 7 of 7 (1,177 Views)