Re: MASS EFFECT BRING DOWN THE SKY for free? - NO KEY NEEDED

by max_exter

Original Post

Hero (Retired)

You need to kill Free Download Manager, it sounds like.  This is the link that worked for me (and I just tested it.  It works):

http://lvlt.bioware.cdn.ea.com/bioware/u/f/eagames/bioware/masseffect/dlc/MassEffect_BDtS_EFIGS.exe

If you still get that message, you need to disable or uninstall Free Download Manager.  

Message 31 of 110 (22,910 Views)

★★★ Novice

Does anyone know why delivery of Bring Down the Sky is currently by this method? It seems like it would be infinitely simpler to put this DLC on Origin as a free item, so it could be downloaded and installed like Pinnacle Station. Other DLCs in Mass Effect 2 actually are just autodownloaded because of the connection between Bioware and EA services.

tl;dr: Why do we have to manually download and install this when BDtS is a free DLC? It seems like it would be a LOT simpler to just roll it into the main client download or have it autodownload and install given that there is no price or code required.

Message 32 of 110 (22,286 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Best guess?  It's be cause ME is older than the other two games, and it predates Origin.  At the time of release, this was how they handled DLC.  Pinnacle Station also doesn't behave like the ME2 and ME3 DLC.  

Message 33 of 110 (22,265 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm trying to install BDts, and I'm getting the common "Mass Effect not found. Please reinstall from original location" error that others have reported. I've played ME for several years on this laptop. I've searched the various forums and done everything (running Steam, running ME, opening and saving a game file, closing out and retrying; also running various .exe files in the root folder to help Windows recognize the game's location) that has been recommended, but nothing is working. I'm running ME on Steam, on a laptop running Windows 7. Any other suggestions? I have BDtS installed with ME1 on my desktop and have enjoyed it, so this is just to get it running on my laptop for when I travel.

Message 34 of 110 (21,876 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same Issue.

"Game not found"

Please advise.

Message 35 of 110 (21,566 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Can you post the link where you downloaded BDtS from?

Message 36 of 110 (21,555 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

You need to kill Free Download Manager, it sounds like.  This is the link that worked for me (and I just tested it.  It works):

http://lvlt.bioware.cdn.ea.com/bioware/u/f/eagames/bioware/masseffect/dlc/MassEffect_BDtS_EFIGS.exe

If you still get that message, you need to disable or uninstall Free Download Manager.  

I will also add that these games were purchased seperately - These versions of ME 1, 2, and 3 are not part of the Trilogy pack offered on Origin.

I have noticed that when the ME1 is launched, I can view the credits for both BDtS and Pinnacle. Does this mean the DLC's are already installed? If this is the case, why is it still telling me "game not found" instead of; "already installed".

Message 37 of 110 (21,550 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Ok, that's the right link (and based on the writing style of the quote, something I wrote).  If it's already installed, you'll be able to see Pinnacle Station and the Asteroid mission on the map in the Normandy.  If it's not, you won't.  

As for why, the installer for BDtS is probably looking for a specific file to ascertain whether or not ME is installed.  That's how the 1.02 patch works, so it's not out of the question.  What the file would be, however... for the patch, it's MassEffectLauncher.exe (a zero byte file with the same name in the root of the ME install directory will do).  I don't know if that's the case for this.

Message 38 of 110 (21,543 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Ok, I've duplicated the problem, and it really is looking for the presence of MassEffectLauncher.exe.  

So, open Notepad, then go to File -> Save As, change the file

type to All (VERY IMPORTANT), name the file MassEffectLauncher.exe, and then navigate

to the root of your Mass Effect directory, which is probably %programfiles(x86)%\origin games\mass effect\ 

and click Save.  

Then try running the installer again.

Message 39 of 110 (21,541 Views)

★★★ Novice

Well done.

Kudos.

Many thanks, indeed.

Message 40 of 110 (18,542 Views)