Betreff: Indoctrination Theory and Canon

by holger1405

Original Post

Indoctrination Theory and Canon

★ Novice
  1. So I need BioWare EA to answer my question really badly. I didn’t really understand the ending of MassEffect 3 because when I was done I saw indoctrination Theory and people saying how the ending didn’t make sense. Like harbinger flying away without stopping Shepard. I want to know if the theory is canon and BioWare confirmed this or if the ending you gave us was real and what you meant.

Message 1 of 8 (2,848 Views)

@commandershep17 

This is a gamer help gamers board, you will not get a official BioWare statement here.

The Indoctrination Theory was however debunked by Bioware on several occasions.

Here is one.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 8 (2,817 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for a source. I wonder what the canon ending that BioWare wants. I see a lot of people saying that BioWare debunked the theory, but they never show a source.

Message 3 of 8 (2,808 Views)

@commandershep17 

There is no canon ending to ME3, simply because you as the player can choose your ending out of several different endings. 

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 4 of 8 (2,786 Views)

★ Novice

Oh, makes sense ),:

Message 5 of 8 (2,777 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

That quote doesn't really debunk it.

The entire gist of I.T is that Destroy has shepard wake up and resist indoctrination and the lover not putting the thing on shows that.

People take bioware quotes way out of context to say the theory is debunked when their more Straight foward quotes debunks that sentiment. BioWare has said on many occasions it's a valid interpretation and defended its place on the (now gone) bioware fourms. So saying to someone like its factually debunked is just not true.

Message 6 of 8 (1,959 Views)

[ Edited ]

@SlapTrapGaming 

It never was debunked directly, but they said enough imho.

But even if you insist on that, the whole idea of the IT theory was that the entire ending sequence is basically a dream/hallucination.

That on the other hand would mean that the game as no ending at all until more content would be released.

Well, more content got released after the IT was introduced, the Citadel DLC. There is nothing in this DLC that would support the theory in any way. 

And now 8 years have gone by without any content for ME3 released at all, so by this point the Indoctrination Theory is basically pointless.

Message 7 of 8 (1,946 Views)

★ Novice

Not exactly. I see it more as you finish the ending yourself.

You make shepard. You design what he looks like and what he does and becomes. In a way YOU are Shepard so if you choose Destroy you ''wake up'' and its up to YOU the fan to finish it.

Sure would many find it lame? Yeah but thats how i interpret.

also Citadel DLC's context wouldn't make sense to support IT.

Message 8 of 8 (1,918 Views)