General protection fault crashes

by Selvator

Original Post

Accepted Solution

General protection fault crashes

★ Guide

I decided to go play Mass Effect again but I keep running into crashes.

The crashes are very random but so far seem to only happen in the citadel.

I got through the whole prologue without a single crash.

It happens randomly when I talk to NPC's, then suddenly crashes with a "general protection fault" message.

The details are different every time.

When I reload the game and do the same conversation over again it doesn't crash.

The game crashes every 10-30 minutes completely random and I can't find out why.

I don't use any mods for this game.

I have tried both Steam version and now on Origin but both crash in the same way.

It's really annoying because it's so random, I can just reload the game and continue but EVERY time I want to talk to an NPC I must save the game because there is a change it crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is what the crash log says:

[1892.615] Log: Trying to advance a quest to a task that has already been accomplished for this quest
[1904.232] Critical: appError called:
[1904.232] Critical: Rendering thread exception:
General protection fault!

History: GZLibFile::~GZLibFile() Address = 0x1159e9c5 (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe]
GZLibFile::~GZLibFile() Address = 0x115a1d7e (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe]

[1904.232] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)

That is just the last part.

I run on windows 8.1

Message 1 of 29 (18,675 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: General protection fault crashes

@Selvator

Good thinking with the disk change.

I assume you also disabled the windows XP SP 3 compatibly mode and you use a unchanged INI file?

I'm still focused on the Audio. Could you disconnect your Xonar U7 (disable it in the device manager first) from the machine and use your Motherboard audio for a test run?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View in thread

Message 17 of 29 (18,796 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@Selvator

Please, create a DxDiag and post it with your next reply.

Furthermore, go to your "<drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect\DirectX" folder and run the "dxsetup.exe" > restart and test.

If that not helps, download the patch 1.02 from here and install it > restart and test.

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 2 of 29 (18,647 Views)

★ Guide

Sure thing, it should be included now.

Message 3 of 29 (18,639 Views)

★ Guide

I updated direct X and restarted my PC.

After that I played some more and after about 15 minutes another crash:

[2757.292] Critical: appError called:
[2757.292] Critical: Rendering thread exception:
General protection fault!

History: GZLibFile::~GZLibFile() Address = 0x1159e9c5 (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe]
GMatrix2D::EncloseTransform() Address = 0x1154005a (filename not found) [in D:\Games\Origin Games\Mass Effect\Binaries\MassEffect.exe]

[2757.292] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)

The update doesn't work, it says it can't find the game.

I have the origin edition of Mass Effect installed now and checking the executable it's already at 1.2

Message 4 of 29 (18,631 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Selvator wrote:

The update doesn't work, it says it can't find the game.

I have the origin edition of Mass Effect installed now and checking the executable it's already at 1.2

@Selvator

I know,  both Steam and Origin install version 1.2, but the patch nevertheless solved the "General protection fault" issue for some people in the past.

I can't guaranty it, but install the Patch anyway. You need to move the installation EXE to the game directory, then it will find the Game.  

I will now look at your DxDiag and reply later.

Message 5 of 29 (18,624 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Selvator

PANDEMONIUM interesting choice for a Machine Name, to bad it's program in the moment. Wink

A "General protection fault" error can have many reasons, so let's first cover the basics.

There are newer, WHQL signed drivers for your Xonar U7 at the Asus web side, I would suggest you install them,
especially because you have errors about the AsusU7UILauncher.exe in your DxDiag. (Or is there a specific reason you use this driver)

There is also a newer driver for your 970 out, please install 368.39 if you haven't done so already.  

Do you have Orgin or steam Overlay enabled? If so please disable it.

There error reports, as you said, change with about any new entry, so if installing the Patch, installing the new drivers and disabling the overly don't solve the issue, I would suggest to run SFC /scannow to see if your system-files are in order.

Message 6 of 29 (18,615 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

You should see my other hardware what names they have :P

That's quite a bit I can try, thanks for taking the time to help me ! Standard smile

I just returned from work and I'm also checking the live steam from E3 so on my other screen I will do all the steps you provided.

I will report back with my findings.

EDIT1:

The audio driver is the latest version from the Asus website.

There is a newer out but that one is specifically for Windows 10, it doesn't work on windows 8.1 64bit.

It has crashed a couple of times but that's usually because of skype, it does weird stuff with my microphone settings from Xonar when skype is on.

Why it isn't WHQL signed I don't know but it should not cause any problems right?

SFC scan turned up ok and I am now updating my video driver.

Usually I only do this when I have new games that need the update or something else is changed but I will update it anyway.

EDIT2:

Updating the game still doesn't work.

It can't find the game even though I have put it in the same folder as the .exe

My video drivers are updated by the way.

Message 7 of 29 (18,601 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Selvator

@Audio driver

I meant the 8.1.11.19  version for Win 8.1 64bit. There are two versions, one with WHQL certificate and one fixed driver for problems with Nordic language OS which shouldn't be a problem for a Dutch OS. Do you use the fixed version?

@Patch 

That is strange, please run the Patch as Admin, if that don't work put the Patch into the "Binaries" Folder and try again.

Edit: You also disabled the Overlay? 

Message 8 of 29 (18,592 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Small update:

I updated my sound driver with the other version.

The GUI is completely different but it seems to work the same nonetheless.

I disabled the origin overlay.

The only that isn't working right now really is the updating of the game, which is unfortunate since it may fix the problem, but I will now test all the other steps with have discussed so far and see how that goes.

EDIT:

Well good news, I followed the sticky on Answers HQ were you need to create a "dummy" masseffectlauncher.exe and it worked, the game is now patched.

It seems I have now followed all the steps, I have about an hour left before im off to bed so I will try again now and see how the game works.

Thanks again for the assistance so far, I will report back again if it's still crashing or if I have played several hours without any problems Standard smile

Message 9 of 29 (18,583 Views)

@Selvator wrote:
EDIT:

Well good news, I followed the sticky on Answers HQ were you need to create a "dummy" masseffectlauncher.exe and it worked, the game is now patched.

It seems I have now followed all the steps, I have about an hour left before im off to bed so I will try again now and see how the game works.

Thanks again for the assistance so far, I will report back again if it's still crashing or if I have played several hours without any problems Standard smile

@Selvator

It's true, learning never stops. I read that sticky after you mentioned it, never know about that tweak before.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Message 10 of 29 (18,574 Views)