Re: Game crashes when I go to Sparta

★★★ Newbie

Your Report ID is: 08231a288000626a

Thanks!

Message 111 of 166 (1,075 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I agree with your sentiment in principle, PlayFairCypher, but that said, it would be nice if David or someone else official could drop us a quick post to let us know if there has been any progress on finding the cause of this. Not upset, just curious since it has been a couple of days now.  If there's no chance of getting this fixed, it'd be cool to know sooner rather than later so I can resign myself to sticking to the main plot. Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 112 of 166 (1,376 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I don't agree with his sentiment. He was needlessly aggressive/hostile in a situation which could be defused by having some idea what is going on.

People don't enjoy spending money on broken items which they cannot return. This guy decides to pick a fight with another user using falsehoods (10 year old game, you get what you pay for, etc).

The get what you pay for is the hardest one to ignore. It doesn't make it right for anyone to advertise a full-functioning product and charge any fee for it. Had customers known the product was damaged (and this has been a known issue since 2010, probably earlier), and could then judge the value of the product before purchasing. Instead, EA/Origin/Amazon opted to hide this information from consumers.

Further, to then falsely claim that customers do not have the right to demand a refund of said damaged goods is a violation of Magnusson-Moss. 

That EA was unaware is false- they have responded, in these forums, to this problem in ages past with no solution.

Guys, there is no solution to this problem. Well, there is, but it would cause you to violate your user agreement in applying the fix. So for all legal intents and purposes- customers have purchased a faulty product from a company which knowingly chose to deceive their customers.

How does that make you feel?

P.S. you can get your money back from Amazon, or wherever you purchased this. Magnusson-Moss covers all transactions. Google is your friend, file a quick complaint if you please: EA is in violation of U.S. federal law.

P.P.S. I've already done this. I do not want to play a game which is broken, then be told, as PlayFairCypher suggests, that I should be thrilled to have my broken game. 

Message 113 of 166 (1,350 Views)

★★ Novice

Is this a problem only with games purchased from Amazon? Is this only happening on games run through Origin?  Will this happen if I purchase the game through Steam?

Message 114 of 166 (1,328 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Seems like only for the Origin version so far Dax, which is why l think Origin's files are corrupt. I haven't seen the issue mentioned on Steam and even in this thread people that have used the Steam version or the physical disc version have mentioned that fixed it. I'm considering getting it on Steam too since it's on sale but that definitely would be a bummer to double pay!

On Reddit someone mentioned they downloaded a cracked version and the issue we're all having went away (which would also indicate corrupt Origin files). Sad we'd have to resort to that to get a game we bought to start working correctly.

Message 115 of 166 (1,314 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

DaxThura: There are a couple posts in this thread that seem to suggest that the Steam version doesn't have this problem, only the Origin one. I checked the Steam forum and I don't see any posts there from the last month or so about this problem (lots of crashes at start-up, but that isn't the same problem).

meesterjojo: Agreement or disagreement aside, where's the threads where EA has previously replied about this issue? I scanned the last 20 pages or so and I can't find any threads that seem to be related this issue in particular, which seems to have cropped up just in the last week or so.

Message 116 of 166 (1,308 Views)

★★ Novice

Meesterjojo, do you know if I'm able to get a refund from Gamestop through Magnusson-Moss?

Message 117 of 166 (1,300 Views)

★★★ Novice

Does the game work on steam?

Message 118 of 166 (1,272 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT!!! My friend brought his Mass Effect install over....The UNC folder is missing tons of files and folders!

\Mass Effect\BioGame\CookedPC\Maps\UNC\

Right at UNC24 the SND folder is missing and files. UNC25 is missing all subfolders. along with UNC30, 31, 42, etc...I stopped looking at comparisons after I saw how many folders and files were missing.

I can now land on Edolus and Tantau after copying the UNC folder over to Origin install.. So far UNC seems to be the only messed up folder/subfolders. Here's a link to a screenshot of Origin UNC folder vs retail:

http://imgur.com/dYgegil&cp9ZBPp#0

Huge disparity between Origin and retail! David please fix this on Origin side so people can download the missing files and start playing Standard smile

Update: Finished the rogue VI mission on Luna, geth incursion mission on Solcrum, and missing Marines mission on Edolus without any further issues.

Message 119 of 166 (1,260 Views)

★★ Novice

I can confirm bryaco's discovery. I have both a Steam license and an Origin license for Mass Effect (technically they're the same; I just redeemed my Steam key on Origin), and replacing the Origin UNC folder with the UNC folder from the Steam version allowed me to land on Edolus.

Message 120 of 166 (1,237 Views)