Re: The Weapon and Hair Flickering Issue

by holger1405

Original Post

Flickering Hair Issue

★★★★ Novice

So I decided to play Mass Effect with female Shepard and noticed one annoying issue in mission on Eden Prime. Her short hair are flickering! Any ideas how to solve this? Funny thing is that this doesn't happen with male Shepard's short hair!

Message 1 of 8 (1,404 Views)

The Weapon and Hair Flickering Issue

★★★★ Novice

When I played Mass Effect 1 while my PC had ATI GPU I didn't had such issues, now I have Nvidia GPU and weapons are flickering, hair are also flickering, which isn't so annoying as long as femshep has long hair, but it's very annoying if femshep has short hair. Played with male Shepard and nothing like this happens. I remember seeing in ME 3 credits text Nvidia the way it's meant to be played. Well if this flickering is part of how it's meant to be played then I'm disappointed, especially because, as it seems, there's no solution for this. 

Message 2 of 8 (1,395 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I have an nVidia card.  My FemShep has short hair.  I don't have this issue.

ME1 Shepard (cropped) 2013-03-08.png

Maybe check for an updated video driver?

Maybe provide a DXdiag report? (See this post: How to post the relevant info when you create a question.)

Message 3 of 8 (1,353 Views)

@DarkGrumpyFox

Additional to @ThandalNLyman, do you use mods?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 8 (1,341 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

With that hairstyle issue isn't so noticeable so you might've missed it or you are lucky that you don't have it, this issue in my case happens so far only on Eden Prime. I noticed that in Citadel flickering stops.  But when I noticed this issue first time my femshep had shorter hair than your femshep. Her hair was as short as usually male hair are. GPU has latest drivers. I always try to find a solution myself through google and I always do everything I can think of, which might help in cases like this, before I go to forum to ask about how to solve issues I have with some games.

No, I don't use mods.

Message 5 of 8 (1,264 Views)

@DarkGrumpyFox

"Flickering" is a very general term, can you upload a video to YouTube that shows the issue?

Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Message 6 of 8 (1,254 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Unfortunately I don't have a program with which I could record gameplay. Imagine how parts of short hair are disappearing and reappearing very fast. That kind of a flickering happens on Eden Prime with my femshep's hair.

Message 7 of 8 (1,242 Views)

@DarkGrumpyFox

Well, this kind of error can have any number of reasons.

You can try this:

Make sure Origin is completely closed

Rename the "Config" folder under "Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect" to "Old_Config"

Start Origin > start the game.

The game will create new config files. This will help if a existing file is corrupted.

If that don't helps you can test if different in game or driver graphic settings will make a difference.

Message 8 of 8 (1,231 Views)