Failed to compile global shader

by gabcaselli

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Failed to compile global shader

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone, I tried to play Mass Effect 1 with my new Dell XPS 15 9560 (specs: i7 7700HQ / RAM 16 GB / Intel HD graphics 630 + nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 4 GB / Windows 10). For several day I succeeded, but 2 days ago it started saying that it "failed to compile global shaders". I tried everything, but there is no way to run it.

Can you please help me?

Thank you very much!

Message 1 of 3 (3,994 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Failed to compile global shader

[ Edited ]
Hero

This error usually occurs when you try to run the game on unsupported hardware.

Make sure you're running the game on the Nvidia GeForce GPU and not on the Intel HD 630 (which is unsupported). Laptops often run on the Intel graphics to preserve energy, but sometimes forget to switch to the dedicated graphics card when launching a game. To make sure that doesn't happen, open the Nvidia control panel (should be an option when right clciking the desktop), then go to 'manage 3D settings', and there you should be able to find an option to favor Nvidia's graphics card.

You may also need to repair the game. In Origin you can find the option by right clicking the game in the Origin library. In Steam this option is called 'verify integrity of the game cache'.

If that doesn't work, post a dxdiag report: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (4,243 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

This error usually occurs when you try to run the game on unsupported hardware.

Make sure you're running the game on the Nvidia GeForce GPU and not on the Intel HD 630 (which is unsupported). Laptops often run on the Intel graphics to preserve energy, but sometimes forget to switch to the dedicated graphics card when launching a game. To make sure that doesn't happen, open the Nvidia control panel (should be an option when right clciking the desktop), then go to 'manage 3D settings', and there you should be able to find an option to favor Nvidia's graphics card.

You may also need to repair the game. In Origin you can find the option by right clicking the game in the Origin library. In Steam this option is called 'verify integrity of the game cache'.

If that doesn't work, post a dxdiag report: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 3 (4,244 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @gabcaselli

Just checking if you managed to launch the game? Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided by @Fred_vdp?

Many thanks for the answer Standard smile

/Ataashi

Message 3 of 3 (3,950 Views)