Re: Achievements not remaining unlocking (ME 1 on PC)

by Maasikapilvekene

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Achievements not remaining unlocking (ME 1 on PC)

★★ Apprentice

Hello folks William here.  PC problem with Mass Effect 1 -

For some reason my achievements reset every time I start the game. They unlock while I am playing. They show up if I go to the main menu and look at them. But as soon as I quit the game - they reset. I have tried completely uninstalling with REVO. I have tried every thing I can think of and everything the help folks at EA Help desk have suggested. I have tried it with and without the cloud storage thing. I am running in Win 7 compatibility mode on Win 10. I have tried starting the game only in the origin menu as opposed to the desktop Icon.

Strange stuff:  I purchased all the games twice way back when it came out as a 'box set' buy all 3 games at once. I mistakenly install ME 1 two times on one account. (I have not used the other two redemption codes). I do not know if that effects how the save games/achievements are handled. I'm not a computer/programming person. I'm an old fart that thought DOS was cool. Apparently the cloud saves and the saves on my computer don't mesh up. On one play through I completed the game - then cloud storage went to sink and I lost that character completely. At that point I stopped using cloud storage. I have turned it back on as a possible solution that was given by the help desk. - Characters will save - but the achievements are gone if I exit the game and then restart. 

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. I am starting to feel like I need to create a new account to get this game to work because of some configuration thing online. Thanks in advance if anyone has an idea. 

Message 1 of 6 (3,633 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hmm, I wonder if you clear your cache does that have any effect?

Clear your Origin data cache:

1. First, make sure you can view hidden files and folders:
    1. Open the Start menu 
    2. Type "view hidden files and folders" into the search bar.
    3. Press Enter to open the View tab of your Folder Options.
    4. Open the Hidden Files and folders menu within the Files and Folders menu.
    5. Click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    6. Click Apply, then OK to exit the menu.
  2. If open, close Origin by clicking Origin in the menu bar and selecting Exit.
  3. Click the Start button, then Computer, then double-click (CStandard smile to open the C:\ drive
  4. Open the ProgramData folder, then the Origin folder, and delete all the files and folders except for LocalContent.
    1. Windows XP players can find the ProgramData folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Electronic Arts\
  5. Go back to C:\: 
    1. Then open the Users folder,
    2. Then the folder with your computer's username, 
    3. Then AppData
    4. Then Roaming
    5. Then Origin, and delete all the files and folders inside.
  6. Go back to the AppData folder: 
    1. Then open the Local folder, 
    2. Then Origin, and delete all the files and folders inside.

Log in to the Origin client and check if your missing content is available in the My Games tab

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (4,236 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hmm, I wonder if you clear your cache does that have any effect?

Clear your Origin data cache:

1. First, make sure you can view hidden files and folders:
    1. Open the Start menu 
    2. Type "view hidden files and folders" into the search bar.
    3. Press Enter to open the View tab of your Folder Options.
    4. Open the Hidden Files and folders menu within the Files and Folders menu.
    5. Click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
    6. Click Apply, then OK to exit the menu.
  2. If open, close Origin by clicking Origin in the menu bar and selecting Exit.
  3. Click the Start button, then Computer, then double-click (CStandard smile to open the C:\ drive
  4. Open the ProgramData folder, then the Origin folder, and delete all the files and folders except for LocalContent.
    1. Windows XP players can find the ProgramData folder in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application data\Electronic Arts\
  5. Go back to C:\: 
    1. Then open the Users folder,
    2. Then the folder with your computer's username, 
    3. Then AppData
    4. Then Roaming
    5. Then Origin, and delete all the files and folders inside.
  6. Go back to the AppData folder: 
    1. Then open the Local folder, 
    2. Then Origin, and delete all the files and folders inside.

Log in to the Origin client and check if your missing content is available in the My Games tab

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 6 (4,237 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hi, EA David,

Thank you for your response. I am not missing any content. In ME1, there are bonuses you get for achievements in game. (ie. If you finish the game on Veteran difficulty then it will allow you to play on Hard Core difficulty, if you finish the game on Hard Core difficulty then you can play on Insanity difficulty,  If you finish a majority of the game, then you get 5% XP bonus on the next play through. If you finish the game you get 10% bonus on the next play through.) These are the things that are important to me as a player... also there are other bonuses you get (ie. keeping a party member for the majority of the game gives a 10% to recharge time of certain powers) Which are helpful when you play on Hard Core or Insanity difficulty.

I followed the steps provided but only deleted the Achievement catch on step 4.

4: Open the ProgramData folder, then the Origin folder, and delete all the files and folders except for LocalContent.

I then opened the game - until I made a couple of achievements. Saved. Exited the game. Restarted the game. Checked achievements and they had been reset again. (sigh).

I will happily delete everything except LocalContent if you think it will help - But I am not really missing any content.

Best Regards.

Message 3 of 6 (3,607 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Hello Mr. EA David,

I went ahead and repeated the process as described above (including):

Open the ProgramData folder, then the Origin folder, and delete all the files and folders except for LocalContent.

It seems to be working correctly now.

I REALLY appreciate it. Thank you so very much.

Message 4 of 6 (3,601 Views)

Community Manager

Wonderful, thank you for coming back with the confirmation, and for including so much detail. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 5 of 6 (3,590 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi! I own Mass Effect 1 on Origin as well and I'm experiencing the same issue with the achievements disappearing right after I restart the game. The problem is, the solution given here does not help me… Any perks gained from unlocking achievements (for example, unlocking higher difficulty levels) go away after the restart as well.

In addition, when I restart the game and then go to Load Career and then to Switch Careers, no separate careers are shown — I can only choose to show All Careers, where all saved games are packed together, no matter the playthrough. That changes after I load separate careers, but as soon as I restart, that option simply disappears again.

Any ideas on what could be happening here? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Message 6 of 6 (1,340 Views)