Re: AMD CPU ISSUES ON MASS EFFECT NAMELY ILOS AND NOVERIA MISSIONS

by voteDC

Original Post

AMD CPU ISSUES ON MASS EFFECT NAMELY ILOS AND NOVERIA MISSIONS

★★★ Newbie

Does anyone know if the graphical glitch errors caused by all recent and new AMD processors has been cured?  Tried playing Mass Effect on both an FX-4100 chip and A6 Chip but have had the problem on both.  Basically on the Ilos and Noveria Missions, the character models black out and it makes it difficult to enjoy the game.  I don't really want to splash out on intel chips to play it properly.

Message 1 of 10 (22,881 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Update: The method below is outdated and the linked forum has been deleted.

Try this mod to fix the problem.

Try this fix from the old tech support forums:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/131/index/7251342/7#14385018

The console directions are on gamefaqs.com under "cheats" for Mass effect. Once you put the tilde as your console key, you just got to either Ilos or Peak 15, let it switch you to the black shapes, then hit the tilde, type

viewmode unlit

and hit tilde again to return to game. It does degrade the game a bit - makes it look somewhat super-saturated, but it's easier to believe it's just super-lighting from fluorescents, and is by far better than those stupid boxes.

I suggest making sure you are inside peak 15 before running the command, as the typing and typos WILL eat your level 1 hazard time up...

Here's a guide on enabling the console:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Cheats#In-Game_Console

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 10 (22,827 Views)

★★★ Novice
All that fix does is trade out the black blobs for graphics that look like they came off a super high polygon count N64 with a very restricted and faded color palette.
Message 3 of 10 (22,791 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

People have said that the crappy graphics from the workaround are better than the black blocks, so that is why I posted it.

Message 4 of 10 (22,788 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I found this fix quite suitable for Ilos when you're in the Mako. Don't know about Noveria, or the rest of Ilos. Didn't know about the fix until then. I just didn't want to potentially get into a cut scene with black boxes, especially at such a crucial part of the game. When I got to the citadel again, I just used viewmode lit to fix it. Smooth sailing from then on. Considering all the light rays from above are there, you hardly notice the rest is unlit.

Message 5 of 10 (18,957 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having this EXACT same problem. I tried to install the workaround that was stated, but I do not evein have a file called "engine.console". Since the "experts" at EA cannot assist me, can anyone else help me resolve this issue?

Or will I have to just dig in and go for a full I7 set up?

Message 6 of 10 (9,463 Views)

★★ Novice

Mr. Fred - can you help me please? I do not have or cannot find the file you suggested in order to make these changes.

Message 7 of 10 (9,462 Views)

Hero

@kaybee_da_glide Since I posted this I discovered a mod that fixes the problem entirely. You can find it at http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/71/?

I haven't tried any of the workarounds myself, so I'm afraid I have no in-depth knowledge of them.

Message 8 of 10 (9,445 Views)

★★ Novice

My MAIN Man Fred! @Fred_vdp - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot tell you how you have made my day!!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!!! I REALLY appreciate your help!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

I tried to support the guy who delivered the patch but was unable to because of a 24 hour delay in writing a post to Nexusmods.com. Also, I wanted to donate to show my appreciation but the pay pal link was in Spanish (I think) and I don't have the room to make mistakes concerning money.

Thank you Man! Really and Truly! 

Message 9 of 10 (9,438 Views)

★ Guide

A big thanks from me as well Fred_vdp.

I actually swapped my AMD based system a while ago to an Intel one simply because I couldn't put up with the black pixel glitch or the poor viewing experience of ViewMode Unlit.

Now I can start eyeing those Ryzen processors with a bit more vigor.

Message 10 of 10 (9,400 Views)