Re: World's edge makes me not want to play.

by XLazerGlazerX

Original Post

World's edge makes me not want to play.

★★ Novice

I am a rather new player, and I only started playing since two months ago. Before I was playing s8 only KC and Olympus, and I was having a blast. Then the new season came out and whenever I am forced to play world's edge because of the rotation I cannot seem to have fun anymore. 

The loot is ok on this map, but the design is frustrating. People are just camping everywhere, and whenever I show my head I get ten bows and four charge rifles shot at me instantly. Squads are encouraged to camp and wait, while I thought that apex legends was all about activity and high tempo engagements. Many places in WE are just way too open and large. A whole set of movement options (slides etc) are made for this game, but worlds edge just makes these so much less relevant.

Repositioning feels impossible sometimes unless you have a valkyrie on your team. It seems like having a valkyrie is essential in this map. Having high ground is also very important and valkyrie gives this for free. She basically makes other character useless in comparison while playing on this map.

I would very much like to just play KC and Olympus and never see WE again. I only want to play Apex Legends half of the time when WE is not in the rotation.

Message 1 of 18 (7,257 Views)

★★ Expert
@Never_aapje I feel the same way, I absolutely hate World’s Edge so basically I either hotdrop to Capital City every game (Fragment), switch over to Arenas, or Play a different game all together... Kings Canyon is overall my favorite map I was saying that Olympus was but now I would have to rate them Kings Canyon, Olympus, then World’s Edge
Message 2 of 18 (7,221 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes. This. World's Edge has horrible spacing and loot elements. When it's on battle royale I stop playing or switch to arena.

The map feels huge but there are very few places where there is even enough loot to gear up a single squad. I have gone into a cluster of buildings and found nothing but ammo, attachments, or grenades way too many times. NOT ENOUGH WEAPONS FOR HOW BIG THIS MAP IS.

The conflict zones are abysmal. The broken buildings are 4/5 stories with partial ropes up, maybe stairs, but finding your mates in time to help or get help in a fight is just luck, often no luck. Hearing the footsteps and weapons fire all around you and not being able to discern a useful path up/down/away is too chaotic and confusing. Turning a corner and eating a mag happens all the time. But when you get space to operate/coordinate you're often nowhere near anyone and end up racing the circle (which puts you on your heels quickly here, it seems to close faster).

I do not like this map. It makes me not want to play as well.

Message 3 of 18 (7,194 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The loot is RNG, saying there is "not enough guns" doesn't make sense. 
There absolutely is. 

Sometimes you will get 6 guns in a single building on Capitol

and sometimes you will get only 1 or 2. 

Also Capitol is one of THE most fun places to play in the entire game out of all maps.
Your guys critique is not even valid about positioning. 

Position is part of the games tactics. 
I casually walk across Worlds Edge without issue if you have any game sense and awareness of teams etc. 
It's literally never a problem IF you know how and where to move to get through each area without issue. 

And if you have problems then play Octane or Valk and you literally reposition instantly. 
Like... the critique you guys have of this map is something you just use your brain to overcome EASILY 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

It doesn't mean the map is bad, the map is great, it's your brains guys 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Message 4 of 18 (7,184 Views)

★★ Guide
@Never_aapje Honestly, Olympus has me spoiled. Nobody in my friend group likes the older maps now, even the guys who never play. "NO it's the bad map now." When Olympus switches out, "Oh heck yeah the good map!"

I think the other two could be great with more polish, lighting fixes (lots of lighting bugs on WE, silhouette people).

I think if they gave the other two maps an Olympus rework we would see some really fun times on those maps. There is more to a map than simple utility. Aesthetics often drive player participation. If it doesn't LOOK good, who wants it?
Message 5 of 18 (7,172 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@MetrOopsdinLoot is garbage on all three maps. They need to implement some sort of range based rules for loot. "If no gun within x distance, this loot item becomes gun." "If x gun is within y distance, don't be x gun." Honestly it's not hard. I should never find 9 G7s in Lobbas restaurant. (Also found 7 Mozams before the buff.) Loot is what drives the game. Part of me thinks they have a system set up that spawns loot based on your previous performance in spots near you because you aren't allowed to have fun and need to be a sacrifice to make the lesser skilled players feel skilled.

But he wasn't talking about what spawns so much as there not being enough spots for loot to spawn consistently. 

Message 6 of 18 (7,172 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@PraetorOfOlea quick question.. whats lobas restaurant lol
Message 7 of 18 (7,024 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@MetrOopsdin this map has gotten so worse since it's orgininal launch its unreal.
Literally every single new POI has been completely trash and completely blocks the mapflow. I'm glad that reactor is gone soon. For one these locations look so out of place on the map and second they completely break/block certain areas where previously you wouldnt have had anything in your way.

This being said. None of the current map are actually good in my oppinion. Every single one has certain problems that need to be fixed.

Kings Canyon is to small and therefore has way too many third parties.
Olympus is too open.
Worlds Edge has too many POIs and buildings and not enough in other places and basically only 2 or 3 real POIs
Message 8 of 18 (7,019 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Don't feel guilty for hating the map, I've been playing since the very start. 

When the map initial released and you were forced to only play that map - the game was uninstalled. When the map was forced into the ranked playlists, I simply didn't play ranked. When it is forced into the casual playlist, I only play ranked. 

It is the only time in a video game when a map has dictated whether I play a game. 

Yet the company continues to pump time and money into it, even after so much negative feedback - case in point - it's next season's map update focus. 

Message 9 of 18 (6,963 Views)

★★ Guide
@Never_aapje Agreed. WE and KC can go die in a fire. Olympus, IMO, is the only good map.
Message 10 of 18 (6,605 Views)