Re: What I dislike about World’s Edge.

by donthurtm3

Original Post

What I dislike about World’s Edge.

★★★★ Apprentice

I wanted to talk about stuff I don’t like about the new map and gameplay changes in general.

First of all, I don’t like any landing spots, and I think this is because of how annoyingly placed items are in every area of the map. Items are too spread out, in small corners, and dead ends. Fully looting an area is literally a puzzle in how to do it most efficiently.

Second, map is too big. So many areas are going unlooted and have no action. I feel like a lot of changes were a desperate attempt at mitigating “third partying” and I don't know the solution to it but forcing players to spend 10 min looting one area and having so much more space so players can’t find each other has to be the most boring way to handle it. Not to mention it’s not working.

Third, there should not be a single building with more than 2 floors in this game. The audio is so confusing and not knowing if someone is above or below is infuriating. One of the things I appreciated about the old map was how simple the buildings were. How there were no bathrooms (...) for players to hide in or countertops to run around. If the player wasn't on the floor I'm on then he's on the only other floor. But now it’s, “he's not on my floor, he must be on  1, 2, 4, or 5”. There’s also looting these buildings, Getting up and down to the floor you want is insanely convoluted. Making a character like pathfinder even more desirable.

Fourth, [Designer Notes: For Season 3 weapon changes, our goals were to encourage and improve longer range gunfights and reduce power on some of the weapons that have been dominating lately.] ... this is terrible. The most annoying thing prepatch was longbow spam snipers and the most annoying thing post patch is all snipers. It drives me insane when an entire team is just sitting back in a building or a cliff doing nothing but spamming sniper shots, or even worse, spamming sniper shots while third partying. Teams that have no business effecting the outcome of a fight because they're so far away, so far from danger yet controlling everything. Low risk, high reward is one of the worst things you can have in a multiplayer game because it feels terrible to be on the end of it and that’s exactly what snipers currently are.

I had to say the things that annoyed me most so far before I end of up hating this game. Me and many others fell in love with Apex. You can’t change everything the game was built on and expect people to keep loving it.

Message 1 of 9 (2,949 Views)

★ Pro
@xSagez I enjoy all of the points that you dislike. WE is a much better map than KC in my opinion. It’s a more advanced map design. I must admit that I’m surprised, but I really like WE better.
Message 2 of 9 (2,913 Views)

★★★ Novice
@DarthVaapar Good for you, I personally agree with all that OP said.
Message 3 of 9 (2,891 Views)

★ Apprentice
@xSagez Agree completely. They turned the game upside down and left us with no choice.
Message 4 of 9 (2,880 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

So, I wanted to make an update on this thread. It's been a while. I've played way more of this map and gained a lot more knowledge and experience on it.... Standard smile

Literally everything I said in the OP is still true. This map is trash compared to kings canyon.

Loot is still too spread out. Players that drop late can get better loot than players who drop perfectly because the late players will be able to steal loot since it's so spread out and stupidly placed around an area.

Audio is insanely bad (this one honestly got me most disgusted atm), like this game literally only lets you hear 2 sounds at a time from enemy players or something, this * actually makes no sense. The game completely ignores enemy sounds if there are already like 1 or 2 sounds being registered. 

Map is annoyingly large. There are so many places I will not land because it means you will not be able to play the game. I'm sure we will find out just how many useless areas were put into this map once they release a heatmap. And the funniest part about the huge map is that it was suppose to mitigate third partying which it absolutely did not. I can't count the number of times I get shot in the back and you want to know how to not get shot in the back? Literally hide on a roof/cliff with a sniper which brings me to my next point.

The long range and sniper buffs are honestly the most unfun thing you probably could have done in this game. Ignoring how broken the scout is and ignoring how unfun it is to get shot by a team from 2 buildings away just chipping health away, snipers are creating more third party situations. A fight between 2 teams could last for 5+ minutes. These players just sitting in their respective buildings sniping hoping they get a down. Sometimes these fights actually never end. It gives 3 or 4 or even 5 teams so much time to come in and get involved in these fights.

This map is trash. It hasn't grown on me and it never will. You're social experiment has concluded. Give back Kings Canyon.

Message 5 of 9 (2,695 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@xSagezI didn't love it at first but I think the new map is great. Once I got used to it it does offer great gameplay at various areas. That being said I do agree it's a little large for the # of players. They didn't address 3rd partying and you really can't completely in a BR. It's every bit as prevalent in World's Edge, it just happens in a different way because in this new map you see very far ahead of you in a lot of places and know where people are well before you actually fight them, whereas KC was all sprint and ambush.

Really I'm just puzzled by the total removal of the first map. While it wasn't my favourite decision, they did have their own points for Why they made the new map the only one available at season start, it's sort of shocking how we're still only using world's edge.

I'm pretty competitive with this game and I would absolutely love to see both maps randomized in ranked queue. It would just add so much variety game to game I'd play it even more hours than I already do.

Message 6 of 9 (2,623 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

The only thing I really don't like about World's Edge is how much time is spent jogging. I feel like we are jogging 10 miles in any match where I make it to the final few squads. Which is another way of saying the map is too big. There are really cool areas with great graphics but because they are placed on the edges no one ever lands there, Dome being a case in point. A lot of the fun landing zones are also on the edges so if you do choose to go there and engage in a fight, you spend the next several minutes using syringes and health packs because the ring has passed you by already. 

The new items in this map are great though and I hope they continue them in the next iteration: loot vaults, tunnels, trains, elevated railways, geyser jumps, lava. 

I like this map but I'm ready for a new one.

Message 7 of 9 (2,590 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

If you think this is a lot of running around, have any of you ever played PUBG?

Oh my gosh PUBG is way worse then Apex for the size of maps and the insane amount of running around.

Go play PUBG if you've never played it, then come back to World's Edge to realize how small it is... LOL 

PUBG is also the same with long distance shooting, you need a good scope to play, and it's the same in Apex.

You should always have a short/mid range weapon and long range weapon when you play Apex.

I do hear what you mean, but the game style with this map was suppose to be a change to create a different game play, at least that's my understanding.

The game style was to change with this type of map, allowing for more long distance fighting, not just close quarters loot and shoot playing as it was before.

So the thing EA should do, if Apex is to live on, is to add in various Modes; Solo, Duo, Squads, with small and large maps, etc... Then there should be enough to go around to please everyone.

Message 8 of 9 (2,500 Views)

★ Guide
@xSagez
WorldsEdge is just badly done. It is not well thought out. When the ring closes, there are only a few paths to go. As a result, players are waiting at these narrow corridors and camping. There was no such thing in Kings Canyon. If other players camped, you could find another alternative. There were many more protective stones in Kings Canyon than in Worlds Edge. Worlds edge is too big too empty. You cannot completely loot an area, you have to move on quickly because the ring closes. And then you come across an area where another Team is currently looting. The result is a conflict, but not for long because the ring continues to close. So somehow you have to escape. You almost made it, another team is already waiting for you behind this small corridors and welcomes you with gunfire.You are hurt from the last fight, the ring continues to damage your health and then you have to fight against a team who are waiting for you. Yes this is worlds edge...
Message 9 of 9 (2,461 Views)