Re: Madden NFL 20 Fumbles

by MaddenUniversity

Original Post

@Bab9090 I've seen at least one YouTube video referring to EA's algorithm that "evens" the playing field for players that win or lose too much. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't seen the GameFaqs forums. I'm sure it was discussed there for the same reasons that it's been discussed elsewhere for the past 18 years. People like to add justifications to a process when they can't accept the results of that process.

The theory goes that EA wants players to keep playing their game(s). To do so, an algorithm written to level the playing field was written to balance players with lesser skills so they won't abandon the game early in the season. It's supposed to work like this: once a player wins too many in a row, the algorithm will cause seemingly random occurrences to make them lose the game; likewise, a player that loses a lot will be the beneficiary of seemingly random occurrences that help them win.

Over a decade ago when Madden 2003 went online, and years before this supposed algorithm existed, the term "Madden gods" was coined to describe the random events that won/lost games.  If you fumble on the goal line of what would be a game winning drive - blame the Madden gods.  Drop an interception that would seal a win - blame the Madden gods.  So on, so forth...  Justify the bad result by inserting a reason the process is flawed. 

I mention the Madden gods to link them directly to the aforementioned algorithm.  The phenomenon is identical.  The difference is that instead of gremlins causing fumbles, someone renamed it 'algorithm' so it would be more readily accepted by people that understand a programming environment.

I have it on good authority from a former high level EA developer who left the company abruptly that this mysterious algorithm does not exist.  The circumstances surrounding his departure would give him every reason to expose said algorithm if it was real.  But it's not. 

Beyond the "this happened to me once" anecdotes; of which we all have a relatable story, there is no evidence that this algorithm exists.  Furthermore, if it did, I believe it would have the opposite effect for a community of gamers that rely so heavily on accumulated skills they have developed over a years.  Many of us would stop playing.

That said, EA has gone to great lengths to make Madden, specifically, easier for new players entering the online H2H arena dating back to Madden 2004.  All out in the open, and none have been sufficient.  Why?  Because human nature hasn't changed.  People still look for justifications in the process when they don't like the result... 

Oddly, no one ever blames the algorithm when they win.  Funny that. 

Later

Message 11 of 20 (1,279 Views)

★★★ Novice
@MaddenUniversity i get that the one i was reading stated that bad things are set to happen and some things dont make sense like i was playing other team scored was down by 1 still i go to recieve kick off and i didnt even touch controller and my player muffs kick grabs it and runs out of end zone for safety gives other team ball and 1 point lead with only min left in game and i dont get the things where how players with low ratings in speed chase down higher speed players and also how players can stop mid sprint jump backwards and intercept ball some things are completely un realistic
Message 12 of 20 (1,254 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Jay7734265 I agree, I am holding R1 and sometimes I got to make the give your self up catch and it just keeps running right into a free hit and fumble for the defence, not to mention trying to get your QB to slide when your close to the line of scrimmage, it’s so cheap, what’s the point if the buttons don’t respond fast enough.
Message 13 of 20 (1,248 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The same reason “flat earth” has been discussed. There are several undefeated people. When I play my friends that don’t play as much as me I literally NEVER lose. Explain this if it’s random. 

Message 14 of 20 (1,145 Views)

@Levi9412 People just don't want to deal with the reality that there is a high level if SKILL required to win this game consistently. Been that way ever since online play began... But unlike most games that teach you all the moves you need to win in the first 3-5 stages, Madden takes YEARS to master. It doesn't help that every man that watches football thinks they are an expert (until they meet an expert). LOL

Later
Message 15 of 20 (1,134 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My QB is the only one that fumbles an he will fumble diving or even with me using the cover control it don’t make a difference. Mobile QB carry rating should mean something there shouldn’t be a double standard by position for the game.

Message 16 of 20 (1,071 Views)

★★★ Novice

I started doing this before every tackle and I still have the problem. I even turned fumbling down to 1 in the sliders for player and computer. Still multiple fumbles per game on both sides. It's a broken mechanic. 

Message 17 of 20 (842 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Jay7734265 Fumbled 12 times in the Super Bowl and obviously ended up losing
Message 18 of 20 (779 Views)

@90FadeDoc QB's fumble at a much higher rate than any other position in Madden, but only beyond the line of scrimmage. It's supposed to be to prevent people from running with the QB. You can slide to avoid the hits by sliding... Tap Square on PS4 or X on Xbox once you get past the line of scrimmage.
Message 19 of 20 (770 Views)

Community Manager

@MaddenUniversity wrote:
@90FadeDoc QB's fumble at a much higher rate than any other position in Madden, but only beyond the line of scrimmage. It's supposed to be to prevent people from running with the QB. You can slide to avoid the hits by sliding... Tap Square on PS4 or X on Xbox once you get past the line of scrimmage.

@MaddenUniversity 

The team added a new ability to Lamar Jackson this year, "Truzz."

Once triggered, if he's in the zone he won't fumble.

https://www.ea.com/games/madden-nfl/madden-nfl-21/superstar-x-factor/players/m21-lamar-jackson

Blueberry.png
Message 20 of 20 (677 Views)