Frames being lost as game progresses

by SimEurocat

Original Post

Frames being lost as game progresses

★★★ Apprentice

I think I may be losing my mind here. During game (Madden 20) play at about 4-5 minutes in, I start dropping fps for some odd reason. I've tried resetting my GPU settings and now using bare graphics settings in the game. I record my games for editing and post to You Tube, and the recording software just makes it worse. I've tried with both GeForce Experience and OBS and both programs do the stuttering thing. I just don't know what may be causing this or interfering with the game. I've tried to go through the list that OBS provides as to what may be interfering with that program, but I have my suspicions that it's not a recording software issue since the game loses FPS regardless of what I'm recording with. It's the only game that I have these issues with and the only game that is provided through Origin that I play, so I'm wondering if there may be something that Origin updated that is causing the issue. Is anyone else having these issues or is there something else that I could try? Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8 (781 Views)

Re: Frames being lost as game progresses

Community Manager
@SimEurocat Can you try disabling Origin In-Game overlay from the settings and then try?

Do you play on a 4K resolution monitor?

Any way you can attach a DxDiag to your post so we can review your system specs?
Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 8 (722 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

DxDiag.txt 

Origin In-Game is already disabled and I play and record on a 1920x1080 monitor. 

Thanks for your help!!! 

Message 3 of 8 (716 Views)

Community Manager

@SimEurocat 

I see you have a lot of drives. Is there any way you can remove the external hard drives and then play the game to see if you notice any results? 

If that doesn't help performance, try a clean boot and then immediately launch Madden NFL 21 as administrator before you open up any other programs. Open up your streaming software after playing a game to then see if you notice frames are lost. 

A clean boot is going to disable all non-essential Windows programs to start up your PC. This can help determine if there's a certain program conflicting with Origin.

How to Clean Boot your PC

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 8 (706 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've had mixed success doing a clean boot. When I complete these steps I can record with GeForce Experience without stuttering issues, but I still have the stuttering if I use OBS for recording my games. I asked OBS for help, but the only thing they give me is a list of programs that may have conflicts with OBS. None of those programs are active, they've been disabled via the clean boot operation. Anything else that you can think of that would help? I don't understand this since I didn't have these issues before windows update installed updates to my machine. I have now reinstalled windows and still have the same issue with OBS. 

Message 5 of 8 (686 Views)

Community Manager
@SimEurocat Are you playing in Windowed mode or full-screen?

I've seen cases where games play better when the monitor resolution is changed. I'm honestly not 100% sure why that happens but it's something worth trying.

If you're able to do it with GeForce Experience without stuttering, this sounds specifically related to OBS and/or Origin's compatibility.

Perhaps try re-installing Origin and OBS?
Blueberry.png
Message 6 of 8 (672 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I uninstalled and reinstalled both Origin and OBS. I still have the stuttering issue with OBS recordings and what is worse, now I have the stuttering issues with GeForce Experience. 

As a test I decided to record some of the other games that I have and found that only Madden 20 has the stuttering issue, which is the only Origin game that I record. Could there be an issue with Origin since it is the only game that has the stuttering issue? 

How do I or is there a way to revert back to an earlier build of Origin? A time before the stuttering started happening. Might be a month or two back.  

Sorry, I play in full screen mode and always have. 

Message 7 of 8 (648 Views)

Community Manager
@SimEurocat

I was out of the office on personal time off and just got back to this. I'm afraid there isn't a way to revert to an earlier build. This sounds like a compatibility issue related to the builds for OBS, GeForce Experience, Origin, and Madden NFL 20. The Madden team moved on to developing Madden NFL 22 and live-content for 21, thus I don't see any patches for this in the future.
Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 8 (517 Views)