Why do Respawn hate Octane?

by S1mmOJ

Original Post

Re: Why do Respawn hate Octane?

★★★★★ Apprentice

I fear that if they remove the stim health penalty, they're gonna have to move that penalty elsewhere to balance it. The most obvious choice would be the cooldown; no health penalty, but CD increase to 10 seconds or something. That would ruin Octane.

Cooldown is merely a balancing concept. There's no reason Pathfinder can use his grapple only every 35secs besides balance.

What makes Octane interesting (for me) is that the concept of cooldown is taken out of the equation and placed into the player's hands. Maybe you want to stim once, maybe 4 times in a row, the drawback is obvious; you lose health. There's a clear distinction between the drawbacks and advantages of each choice. It also adds a risk-reward factor to consider, maybe you'll need the health you wasted to use stim sooner that later.

The passive makes that health investment into a more short term commitment, and even has its uses besides counteracting the harmful effects of the stim, like negating some damage if you find yourself into the ring, should you get out of it in time. All in all, it's a nice equilibrium.

"Overclocking" is always an option to you should you choose it, and simply no other Legend offers that. That's what I'm afraid is going to change should he get a rework.

Message 11 of 38 (439 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@BillyCrash100 It would be interesting for me if there was no health penalty but then Octane would keep using it and won't consider the distance between him and his teammates which is a problem in itself. I personally believe that they only way to fix Octane is to make him work like Stim in TF2 where using the stim would temporarily increase your speed and slowly regain your health with a fairly long cooldown of course.
Message 12 of 38 (428 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@SERPENT_DESCEND again, that would ruin Octane in my opinion. All he has is speed, if they take it away (by giving him high cooldwons) then he's just gonna be a discount Pathfinder and will replace Mirage as the worst Legend.

He doesn't need health on his stim, he has his passive. 

Message 13 of 38 (418 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@BillyCrash100 I really like your reasoning. With the whole "health-lost-upon-use" does lend itself towards the -Reward factor- as you mentioned. Sometimes, I'll Stim 3-4 times back-to-back during a fight- NO healing in between, just to quickly finish a maneuver or fight. I like having the option to have increasingly (Not "increasing", but "sustained"-) more power at the expense of a penalty.
Message 14 of 38 (387 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@BillyCrash100 Did you read my post? Stim in TF2 can heal all of his health instantly, Of course I'm not suggesting the same for Octane as that would be obviously too op but I was thinking about slowly regaining 30 HP total in the duration of Stim, His passive can't do anything near that. Also if they implemented this change then he would no longer needs his passive as it mostly there to counter HP penalty upon stimming which would open up a space for new passive/s. Sure Octane can keep his speed but he can also keep his place as the worst legend in the game.
Message 15 of 38 (380 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@S1mmOJ That’s so true man, what’s the point of being the fastest character in the game if you’re gonna go into a fight with gray body shield even tho you have purple... it’s kinda wack
Message 16 of 38 (365 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@BillyCrash100 dude Mirage is powerful since his rework... They completely rebuilt him and it WORKED.

Octane is voted joint worst with Crypto, and honestly I'd say Crypto isn't as bad as at least he has some offensive damage dealing capability on his ult.

Look, I've mained Octane for a long time.  I'm regularly top 50 on kills, dmg and wins. I genuinely wouldn't be moaning that he is broke as fk unless I believed it. 

He needs a ground up rework WITHOUT health penalties in his tact/ult.  Anyone who disagrees with this just hasn't spent enough time playing him in a range of different scenarios and situations... It's clear the Devs just haven't played him enough to realise "ok wow this isn't fair".

I hope to god they read this thread and start a mirage style reboot... NO ONE is saying he needs to lose his speed, it's WHO HE IS - but you don't have to cut your arms and legs and entire battle capacity and ability to wage war as a price to run fast.

Even making jump pad team only is a good start so if you're using it as an escape mechanism people can't just follow you on it deeming it pointless.

My personal thoughts are:

- Passive health replaced with faster strafe left/right like revenant fast crawl.

- Jump pad becomes tact, 25 sec reuse.

- Ultimate gives health tick like current passive and fast speed like current tact for 60 seconds, 2 min 30 sec reuse.

This would put him comparative to other top 3 legends in terms of cool down Vs power.  Which is fair, he's been bottom barrel for SO LONG so put him on the podium for a while.

Oh, and stop buffing wraith and saying it's a nerf.  Jeez.

@stonksthemememan 

@SERPENT_DESCEND 

@StarMystro 

Message 17 of 38 (310 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Forum bug duplicated post.

Message 18 of 38 (326 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@S1mmOJ You made the same post twice...