by S1mmOJ

Original Post

Why do Respawn hate Octane?

★★★★★ Apprentice

Any official responses?

Message 1 of 38 (931 Views)

Re: Why do Respawn hate Octane?

★★★★ Guide

Woah woah woah Compadre?! Octane just got a 10% increase to his Stim speed And they made it so he has a cleanse effect upon activation! Not only that but his Jump Pad can now allow double-jumps! Trust me muchacho; When playing Octane- you gotta utilize his Speed. Many times I'll see a player (as Octane) shuffle in place or move in more back-and-forth motions. It's good to strafe side-to-side, and utilize more Hipfire. Also, it's good to take advantage of his speed by attacking from multiple angles- areas behind line of sight, and not adjacent to teammates.

(Those are my secrets anyways...)

Message 2 of 38 (918 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@StarMystro 14k kills with Octane and will say two things: the buffs were garbage, and the nerf to healing when stimming was very harmful.

Also, jump pad is very poo as an ult.  Deploys and doesn't work a lot of the time (fully deployed too), bugs and falls through world. 

Only tact to negatively impact the player in the game.  Why doesn't Wraith text take her health? Or Pathfinder?  Both are faster than stim.

Respawns neglect is woeful.  Much rather they publicly come out and just admit "yea we hate Mexicans" and that be that.

Message 3 of 38 (910 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@S1mmOJ I heard they are going to buff him in s6, Let's just wait and see if that's true.
Message 4 of 38 (846 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@S1mmOJ Personally I feel like his stim should work in the opposite way instead of it draining your health it should heal you slowly for a small portion of health (This would make him more like Stim character in titanfall 2 except he regains health instantly and not over time however I figured out making Octane stim heal instantly would make him so annoying to take down).
Message 5 of 38 (844 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I don't see in the Patch Notes where Octane can no longer heal during Stim effects... I mean, usually his Stim can be used as a great offensive tool anyways? I personally reap some great victories with his speed, but that's just me maybe. 

His Jump Pad can be great for surprising enemies from angles they wouldn't expect too. I've had some rare occasions where I couldn't reach them- due to placement.

Message 6 of 38 (837 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@StarMystro all speed effects of stim stop immediately when healing now.  Massive nerf to a legend already nearly the worst.  Needless.

I still get 5 or so wins on him daily just wanted some accountability from Respawn and them to come out and say: "we love wraith potato play and that's all we will promote", given she is buffed constantly even though she's the most powerful legend already.

Octane needs a fundamental ground up rework.  Pad should be tact.  Stim should be ult, not take health, and last for 60 seconds.

Message 7 of 38 (750 Views)

★★ Expert
@S1mmOJ The Stim speed while healing was an unintended feature, which is why they patched it, unfortunately.
Respawn doesn’t hate Octane tho.
Message 8 of 38 (718 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@S1mmOJ  I don't want Octane to get a rework, but it becomes more and more vocal within the community that he needs to change. I dread the day that Respawn listens to this and reworks him. His cooldowns are the lowest in the entire game and with him being speedy he's just very fun and unique to play as, and I fear that a rework would ruin him.

I do main him and as sad as it makes me to admit it I have to agree with you that he's one of the worst legends because he has no team utility. Since his passive heals him I always leave syringes for teammates and no matter how hard I try to utilize the jumpad in a teamly manner, everyone just seems to ignore it.

For now I would say what he needs is some quality of life improvements.

• Immediate jumpad activation upon hitting the ground.
  • Fix the annoying glitch that sometimes makes you jump over the jumpad when you try to do a high jump.
  • Bring back being able to stim while healing (not to the extent it was before the patch, but to a resonable amount)

Optionally give him some buff regarding revives. It's been tossed around many times in varying versions, like perhaps a faster revive if he uses his stim before starting it, or if you stim while you revive someone, you stim them instead and it gives them a health or speed boost or something.

Message 9 of 38 (676 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@BillyCrash100  lowest cool down yes but remember if using it as an escape utility you need 3-5 stims to actually outrun a wraith, pathfinder or bloodhound and that's 40-60% of our health GONE just doing what he was intended to do.

Even stim with no health penalty, remove passive, and fix jump pad would be a massive massive huuuuge upgrade.

I like some of your ideas too.

Message 10 of 38 (650 Views)