Where can Pathfinder go that no-one else can?

by Anlbrd

Original Post

Where can Pathfinder go that no-one else can?

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

This is something brought up by more than just Ace, consistently.  I want to try and help dispel the myth that there are lots of 'VIP areas' reserved only for Pathfinder or teams that have a Pathfinder.  The other possibility exists that either I've not found the areas that people are complaining about yet, or (because of bias or something else) I don't see it for the massive problem that it is.  I'm starting this thread in good faith so that at least I can be as close to positive that my view of the areas Pathfinder can/can't access exclusively is accurate.

I main Pathfinder and almost everywhere I can get to, I've been chased at pointblank range by good players - particularly Octane.  Teams running Octane are the best situated to counter a team using a Pathfinder who rats around going high/low all the time.  In reality : the best solution to it is a team that shoot well as grappling straight up ontop of anything vs people who can shoot is risky business.

There might be useful areas that only a Pathfinder can get to, but I've not found them yet or can't remember them as I type this, so if you know of any - please reply here.  If I can figure out an easy way of doing it I'll try and upload videos of me using Octane or climbing on other characters onto areas suggested.  I'll try and keep a list below updated with suggested places and instructions on how to get there afterwards.  If we can build a fairly comprehensive review of the maps most problematic areas then hopefully either I can provide useful tips on how to get to the areas, or we might identify areas of the map that need to be changed so we can stop this tiresome carousel of demands to nerf/remove the legend I and lots of other people most enjoy playing.

I'll talk about this mainly as though it's a ratty/campy solo Pathfinder hiding in the spots as this seems to be what people most complain about.  If you want to talk about team fights, I'll tell you the things I most fear from enemy teams in any specific location.  As a general rule : Arc Stars are your friend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pathfinderspots.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1: The flat top-mountain in slums, between the respawn point at slums proper and the respawn point on the bridge to the east.

This can be accessed by either an octane jump-pad or the balloon next to it.  The balloon is risky business so team-mates should be providing cover.  The best places to do this from are:

The roof of the building in the waterall area.

The small ledge to the east of the entrance/exit canyon to The Pit.  You can climb up and get a fairly good view of the southern end of the offending mountain

The roof of the building with a balcony to the west of the balloon and the north-north-west of the main slums respawn point.

2: The small ledge/cliff southwest of the western entrance to Bunker, south of the respawn point.

This can be reached with an octane jump pad or the balloon to the West of it.  To be honest - I would never choose to assault this ledge by climbing it.  I would arcstar the top of it or head to the east of it into the scrub area full of trees, north of the short tunnel in the cliffs between bunker and skulltown.  From this area - someone on that cliff has no cover against you shooting them.  Potentially a player can hide in the small bush on the northwest corner of this ledge - but a quick spray of the offending shrub reveals all.

3: The mountains around skulltown.

Most of these can actually be climbed onto (I'll try and either get a video or screenshot guide put together), the easiest way to tackle it though is with Octane.  Worst case there is the balloon nearby but this leaves you a bit exposed.  The best strategy is to get ontop of the skull where you can see almost every inch of the surrounding walls.  Unless the offending Pathfinder is going to hide and never fight you, he's at a vast disadvantage if you're ontop of the skull.

4: The walls at Repulsor.

This is the most obviously problematic part of the map for fighting campy Pathfinders.  Octane can jump to these from ground level though I reckon a stack of crates allowing people to climb to ONE of the walls might be a good change to the map.  If you don't have an octane and can't get up to the wall - the 2 large buildings inside Repulsor provide a good view of the surrounding walls, but you're going to need cover from your team to do a good job.  You can open the doors to the roof rooms of these buildings outwards and then climb onto the highest roof using the doors.  From these rooftops you can see all areas of the walls around you other than behind the small boxes that were added to the edges of the towers in order for shorter characters to be able to climb up onto the corner towers a few patches ago.  Someone could conceivably hide behind these boxes but they would be totally exposed to fire from the other side.

5: The rooftop of Water Treatment.

Octane easily, or the balloon.  You don't have to take the balloon all the way up, you can jump off of the rope before you hit the top and land on the roof.

6: The rooftop of Run-off.

On the Southern edge of the longest Run-off building there is a fence that you can climb to jump onto the building.  Octanes jump pad accesses everywhere on these buildings.  Worst case there is a balloon to the west.

7: The mountains on the edge of the map, west of Run-off.

Octanes pad can get you to the lowest point in the middle of these mountains, but ballooning is usually the best way if you feel like you MUST access the mountains.  Go 3 together up the balloon and make sure your Wraith is first Tongue out  I'd generally defend the taller building in the compound and drill the enemies when they have to come off for the ring closing.  Someone who puts themselves on top of these mountains are making an all-or-nothing gamble for the last ring.

8: The walls at Airbase.

All of these can be climbed onto by any character but Octane's pads are the quickest.

The southern wall can be climbed onto using the doors of the building at the top of the stairs that run along the southern wall.  Open the doors outwards, climb onto the roof of the building then climb onto the wall from there.  You can also climb using the rocks on the outside of the Southern wall, but this is more difficult.  Ballooning onto there from the balloon just north of Thunder and west of Skulltown is also a possibility. 

The middle/eastern wall can be climbed into using a fence just to the south of the doors that run through the middle of this wall.  There's a small circular structure that contains a little bit of loot and to the south of that is a black, wire fence.  You climb up the fence, then onto the building and then onto the roof.  Worst case there's the balloon to the west of Bunker.

The northern wall can be climbed into by the crates on the northern side of it.  Worst case there's the balloon to the west of Runoff.

9:  The Wall at Artillery.

Essentially the same as Repulsor.  Octane or Balloon, you don't have to ride the balloon all the way up - you can jump off before the top and get onto the wall.  If you can't get up it - sniping from the grasslands outside is good, or from the top of the large building in the northeast corner of Artillery.  I'd allow the ring and enemy teams to dictate this.  The top of this wall is actually a lot more exposed than most teams take into account.  Wattson may change things slightly but displacing a team from this wall isn't hard unless they're godly with their aim and have the right guns.

As I said this post will always be a WIP but hopefully we can build a comprehensive view of any weaknesses in the maps design that give too much advantage to too small a number of players. 

Message 1 of 4 (256 Views)

Re: Where can Pathfinder go that no-one else can?

Community Manager

@Anlbrd Thanks for making this, I'm curious about all the places too.

Heres an image of the S2 map if anyone finds it easier to draw in key spots, rather than trying do describe "the spot by the thing with the stuff". 

s2map.jpg

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 2 of 4 (235 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@EA_DavidThanks very much.  If it would be possible to get a hi-res version, I'll mark all the spots mentioned in detail. I'll use this one either way to give general locations for the first post.

Message 3 of 4 (233 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@DaAceXD

@SethCurry 

You've both said that there are areas that only Pathfinder can get to in the other thread(s) - can you tell me where they are please?

This at least should be a fairly simple thing to get a clear picture on, as there's no opinion involved.

Message 4 of 4 (216 Views)