Time to equalize hitbox sizes, please

by Kuro466

Original Post

Time to equalize hitbox sizes, please

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

At first I thought I would eventually learn to respect hitbox size differences as an element in a larger balance equation.

I've now played just over 200 hours, and it seems incredibly obvious that these huge hitbox size differences are just idiotic... and it is completely breaking the random queue because people quit in legend select when they don't get wraith.

Is it a surprise that everyone wants to play wraith? When her hitbox is less than HALF the size of pathfinder, caustic, and gibraltar, and quite a bit smaller than the others as well?

We can predict legend pick frequency and player performance just by looking at hitbox sizes... Which should not be a surprise in a game that is dominated by fighting while not being hit.  The most "op" things in the game right now are wraith's small hitbox and bangalore's passive speed boost --- because both of them make players really hard to hit (except to aimbotters). I don't know if making hitboxes the same size will completely fix legend balance.. but i'm curious what pick frequences would be like if hitbox size differences were not dominating other factors.apex hitbox sizes.png

There are some really interesting legend designs in this game, and I expect there are more to come.. but we will never experience them if these hitbox size differences keep dominating picks and performance. 

Please EA/Respawn, for the love of computer gamers everywhere, can you equalize hitbox sizes, so we can pick champions based on their abilities, instead of the overly simplistic size of their hitboxes. They don't have to all become exactly the same size, but they should be within 15-20%. The experiment with dramatically different hit box sizes is just a failure.

Players, if you agree, please upvote and reply to this to get the message to the devs.

Message 1 of 7 (1,547 Views)

Re: Time to equalize hitbox sizes, please

★★★★★ Apprentice

1 million percent agree some balance needs to be done. Skills are secondary to the gunplay, so balancing the hitbox, hp, mitigation, carry capacity, recoil control, etc should be priority. Wraiths abilities arent the strongest, its her hitbox plus naruto run that is dominating. Poor caustic.

Message 2 of 7 (1,515 Views)

★ Guide
Yes, the hitbox disparity in this game is very wrong. I want to play Pathfinder, but know full well if I do I'll just get punished by other players for having such a larger hitbox.

Doesn't help that the characters with the smaller hitboxes also have some of the most influential abilities & passives.
Bangalore's passive especially, just, what the heck - gain super speed every time you get shot at? Meanwhile Pathfinder can occasionally make himself vulnerable for a few seconds and gain minimally useful information about ring location, something that gives no value to fight tactics whatsoever.

Right now my biggest obstacle to playing is the crashing, but I'm seriously contending with the feeling that I do not want to play this game any more until the character disparity is addressed.
(And of course on top of that is the weapon disparity [as in Wingman + Peacekeeper being superior, requiring no attachments & being very ammo efficient], but that's a different forum subsection topic.)
Message 3 of 7 (1,511 Views)

★★ Guide

Yes.... this game is amazing, but the legend imbalance is getting stale and frustrating.

In it's current state, it would honestly be a better game if they allowed duplicate legend choices in a squad. Then we could just all play wraith and the devs would realize how imbalanced their legend design is.

Message 4 of 7 (1,505 Views)

★ Guide

they wont. 

Message 5 of 7 (1,496 Views)

★ Apprentice
yeah Pretty unbalanced hitboxes atm. smallest hitbox should be like Bloodhound so resize wraith and lifeline. reduze hitbox on Pathfinder and fix his hitbox, he got a small hat (but all hits on him Count to his bigger Skin models like the twitch prime one) and good mobility so he can still stay bigger than the other dps/support legends. but i think the "Tanks" should stay big size just get a passive that reduce dmg by 10-20% that would be atm 80-90 dmg Body for the peacekeeper that would still get a dmg nerf because ist way to strong same like wingman at the beginning of the game. Having a tank that can Body block some situations would be nice so you Keep blue armor and the tank gets the Purple one to stay longer alive.
Message 6 of 7 (1,468 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I'm fine with wraith's hit box, she's supposed to be a skirmish style character and her tactical is a bit meh. Caustic definitely needs to be a bit smaller (put him on a diet). Is pathfinder's really that big? I think he has an advantage because he's a bit harder to headshot. And Gibraltar is definitely too big, Imaking him smaller would look weird so maybe give him some damage resistance as part of his passive along with his aim shield, all the armour he wears ironically makes him easier to damage right now. 

Message 7 of 7 (1,449 Views)