Suggesting a Newcastle Passive Buff, Revive with Health/Shield from Inventory

by Kinesis862

Original Post

Suggesting a Newcastle Passive Buff, Revive with Health/Shield from Inventory

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Word is, this is where they take feedback, so I would like to propose something for Newcastle. But first, the issue as I see it:

As a bog standard non-pro player, I came back to apex because Newcastle is the Gibby I wanted in season 0. The issue is though, that playing Newcastle as intended (in my level of play) is almost always a death sentence for me, the person I am reviving, and ultimately the third member because we are both downed.

I don't really get the point of Newcastle's passive if:

A: The hitreg of the shield just gets the person you are reviving killed anyway.

B: Anything other then a blue shield is a death sentence.

C: The whole enemy team is just going to walk around your castle as you revive and melt you anyway

D: In the rarest of cases if you do manage to get the revive off, the person just gets melted in seconds anyway unless you are already out of combat.

So to me, Newcastle is failing at his job in regular play. That being saving those people who are out of position and at threat of being boxed. So now what do I think will solve this problem for people at my level of play.

• Newcastle needs a way to give health and shields to the people he is reviving, I dont recommend that be for free like a gold backpack, but atleast give him a means to buy the person revived time to get to cover in a non-cheap way. So to do that I recommend a new mechanic: Storing overhealing into his res ability.
  • The idea being, if you use a phoenix kit while at full health, you can store that excess health and shields into your res ability, then the person that gets revived uses that pool to heal themselves when they stand up. Even if its only like 50% of the excess is stored, just having that ability to store health and shields to give to people being revived means the difference between getting ran over in a 1.01 v 3 and possibly standing a chance to actually save the person.

• The second recommendation would be to allow Newcastle to hold his mobile shield before throwing, acting like a large knockdown shield that you can walk with. That way after you res the person who was downed, you act as a shield (for the health of that drone) without having to fiddle with it bouncing off of terrain and peoples faces before it deploys. You can't shoot with it, or do anything other than move, but it would be akin to what you did for rampart. You could hold the drone, use it like a standing knockdown shield, and either throw it, or store it on cooldown. Either way the timer and the healthpool starts as soon as you hold the tactical key. This also helps with what find to be another issue, his lack of mobility means lack of survivability. Its hard to res people when I am the one usually getting melted. Being able to use your mobile shield as a mobile shield helps immensely with his surviability on initial encounter, rather than getting melted in the two seconds it takes to react, figure out the right direction, throw the shield at the ground, hope it does not bounce off of something, and then get behind it.

So together, these two (for my level of play) create a situation where that one person who is out of position can be saved, at a cost. Newcastle can ult in, hopefully survive the res, the person revived will have health and shields, and then you can hold your tactical to buy both of you some time to escape or allow the person you revived to fight back. Hopefully allowing Newcastle to be that person who actually saves teammates, rather than just drags them out of a sniper fight when they were not really at any threat to begin with. His current passive is like putting a shield on a scooter that is not meant for combat in the first place.

Message 1 of 1 (447 Views)