Re: Realistic Octane buff

by Condor442

Original Post

Realistic Octane buff

★★★ Newbie

Passive: Add slight speed boost maybe 2% to 3%.

Tactical: Remove slow effects caused by equipment/ gunfire and add 5% fortify perk for duration of stim pack. Increase time to receive tactical to 15 seconds. Add speed penalty after tactical wears off

Ultimate: Add 5% fortify perk to all who use jump pad for limited time and remove slowing effect of bullet and equipment hits. Increase speed by 5% to 10% for limited time.Add speed penalty after tactical wears off

Reasoning.

Passive: Octane was introduced as the fastest character in the game, but since his introduction has failed in the category being beat out and/or matched by characters like pathfinder, bloodhound, and wraith. Giving him a slight speed boost would be natural for the character and making it just a slight edge would keep from making his speed too over powered.

Tactical: In any other game an adrenaline shot is going to give you more health not less. In real life a shot of adrenaline is going to bring your pain tolerance way up and increases your energy. So adding a slight fortify boost with a nulling effect to bullet hits makes sense. Having a penalty also works as a good balance but also simulates the real life impact of coming off of an adrenaline high.

Ultimate: adding the tactical ability to the ultimate jump pad, gives octane more kit for assisting in team play and would be a good balance for characters like gibraltar and watson. Allowing a team to push fortified areas, more easily for a limited time. This also allows for players to better surround a building while push passed the defenses and having the penalty after time out means the team would have to move quick and tactically before putting the game back in favor of the defending squad.

Message 1 of 9 (512 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@DHGBoneBreak I partially agree with some of this. But I do have my issues with it.

1. it makes sense to increase his speed because he is supposed to be a fast character. However, I think we all know that if he were faster, we would definitely have teammates who just leave us behind without even thinking about how far away from you they are because they just naturally move faster. frankly it would hurt him because Octane players would need to make a conscious effort to slow down, and it only truly helps in the middle of a fight when you need to run or flank, whichmakes it situational enough that I would consider that a tactical ability. Frankly, he should probably just have Bangalore's passive, but oh well.

2. A fortification boost on a character who has a small hitbox is just asking for trouble, regardless of how situational that boost is applied. Second this particular point, I don't think the game specifies that it's an adrenaline shot. It's specifically called "Stym" I think. For all we know it could be a poisonous serum, maybe that's why it hurts him.

3. While I agree that he needs a more team-oriented ultimate, the same statement from before still applies. if you have a wraith on your team who uses a jumppad that's placed inside a building, you then have a fortified wraith(with the smallest hitbox) shooting at you while also being a hard target to hit regardless of the hitbox because they are just jumping all over the walls and ceiling.

Honestly I don't see a lot of ways that they can improve his ult, my only suggestion is making it so that teammates can use it, but when an enemy tries to use it, it becomes a trap or explodes. That way it can be used to reposition your team, while also preventing enemies from following you are otherwise benefit from you team's ult. In a way, this almost makes him better than Pathfinder. PF is so useful because he can put his team in places that give them the advantage, and at long distances, too. but he can also be followed. if Octane's pad suddenly explodes on teams that try to use it, it could potentially give our team the edge.
Message 2 of 9 (495 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Condor442 but even my own suggestion isn't great because in order to make use of it, you would have to put the pad in doorways and choke points, otherwise teams will just see a pad and think "i don't have an octane on my team, so I wont use that"
Message 3 of 9 (494 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The other issue with that is from a developers perspective. The game has glitches now. Respawn would have add a special designation for the legends in your squad that is separate from everyone else. This would cause a potential issue were your team takes the hit instead of the enemy. It is also inconsistent with how Respawn treats there ultimate abilities. anyone can use a wraith portal, wattson pylon, octane jump pad, pathfinder zipline, I mean you get the point. When their is a kit ability that benefits your team in a non damage dealing way. Then anyone can use it. It is a very important part of balance. That is why I think the fortify buff is good. When you push a defense heavy team you are pushing a team with a fortify perk that gives a 15% buff. A smaller percentage buff is only going to save you from 1 or 2 bullets. For example a player with full health and no shield  would have a total health of 100 with a 5% percent increase in health that amounts to 5 hitpoints, no weapon registers damage that low, at best it might save you from a single bullet overall. at the max health scale you have a health of 225. that means at max you get a boost of 11 hitpoints, your weakest guns will hit for 11 points. that means at max health this is only going to save you from 2 maybe 3 bullets if you are lucky. Those abilities also come with a penalty at the end of the ability in the form of speed reduction. If that reduction is large enough. You the advancing player are now at a major disadvantage, mobility is a very important thing when it comes to winning gun fights in this game. So, if you use that ability recklessly it is going to cost you match up instead of helping you win it. It also means that the team pushing needs to do so fast. Or the person trying to leave the fight needs to get out of their and to a safe place to heal fast. 

Message 4 of 9 (455 Views)

★ Guide

I think a good buff is if octane is stimmed his ads movement speed increases. So slow ads weapons like lmg and ar now move as fast as smh and pistols. Smg and pistols now move even faster

Message 5 of 9 (432 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@DHGBoneBreak I agree with Condor442 in this one, The only suggestion you made that i agree with is Octane not being slowed down by bullets but only when he is using stim. I also suggest giving him the ability to run and shoot at the same time.
Message 6 of 9 (430 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Blasian311 That just messes with a player's consistency when aiming.
Message 7 of 9 (428 Views)

★ Guide
@Condor442 That would mean they would need to practice. Also the speed could be controlled with how much movement input is used.
Message 8 of 9 (398 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@Blasian311 yeah but what I mean is that players wont be able to play other characters. you would get so used to aiming with octane that you would have to change your ADS sensitivity anytime you change characters.
Message 9 of 9 (284 Views)