Quality of Life for Caustic

by oddity_oaks

Original Post

Quality of Life for Caustic

★★★ Novice

No real buffs here or anything because i'm no game designer, mostly just some little QOL suggestions that I think would make the experience of playing caustic a bit more pleasant.

I understand that the devs don't want to change the colour of caustic gas based on team, but I would like to see the red ring on the base of his traps changed to blue for friendlies, so that the teammates of a caustic never have to worry about destroying a trap only to find out it was a friendly one, or not destroying one only to then be gassed in the middle of a fight.

Probably easier said than done, but I'd like some improvements to the opacity of the gas, and by extension bangalore's smoke. I've been noticing more and more lately that some people seem to just laser me from outside my gas cloud as if they can see me perfectly even when I can't see them. Gas should probably stay as low to the ground as it currently is, so that you can still climb up on nearby objects to see who is in it, but some more consistency with how easily people can see you when on the same elevation as you are would be nice. 

While on the subject of things that are more easily said than done, making sure the traps don't get awkwardly stuck in doors when thrown too close to them and then get despawned when the door is opened. I figure this one's just a bug and it'll get fixed eventually, but having them bounce off of the door a little harder so they sit back further from it would be ideal.

A little bit of smoothing down on his trap deployment animations when transitioning to using a healing item would be appreciated, as I do sometimes find myself wanting to deploy a trap to cover myself while I heal, though it would be extremely nice if we got a left handed tossing animation for it instead and allowing him to deploy traps while healing, like how bangalore can with her smoke.

Message 1 of 6 (390 Views)

Re: Quality of Life for Caustic

★★ Expert
@oddity_oaks If they are lasering you, it’s either because they have some way of seeing you, (Scan or dig threat).
The other reason might be because they can kind of see your outline if you are too close to the edges.
Good ideas though
Message 2 of 6 (349 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, maybe I'm just standing too close to the edge of my smoke, I'll be more careful of that in future and see if it works out better. Thank you for the advice

Message 3 of 6 (320 Views)

Community Manager

Good suggestions, thanks. 

I don't believe teammates can break a friendly trap, but in either case your point stands that you don't want to waste time aiming for the weak spot. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 6 (293 Views)

★★ Guide
@EA_David

I'm pretty sure I've seen friendlies disarm my traps before in recent matches. I recall having to explain to my teammates that they are my traps and not to destroy them.

I've also experienced an issue where traps may trigger automatically if they are placed too close to a door. I'm guessing it's clipping something.
Message 5 of 6 (265 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Jumpin’ on the QOL gas train!

I like the idea of a single left handed deployment that would allow for healing.  The ideal animation would be that the canister while attached to his body can be primed and held, like pulling on a suitcase handle, while you heal but if you set the trap, now using two hands, it would supersede the heal and stop it.  This could make high pressure game play smoother and faster reactions for the gas man.  I know that’s a big ask.

Would love the traps to engage quicker though.

I like how they have tweaked the gas colors, now how about some love for the rings like the man said. Maybe just fade the rings for one side or the other, if not a color change, so squaddies know they can push past your traps or even use them to their advantage and not disarm them would be nice. Gas cans are already a two edge sword when it comes to enclosed gunfights, a heads up for squad mates is appreciated.

Message 6 of 6 (217 Views)