Re: Octane "Heat" Mechanic

by tiggertime666

Original Post

Octane "Heat" Mechanic

★ Guide

Instead of drawing from his health, every time Octane uses his stim it fills up a "heat" bar. This allows octane to use stim several subsequent times, without taking away 30+ health.

The downside for Octane is that if he overuses his stim and fills up the heat bar he will incur some negative effect.

That negative effect could be one or several things like

- a lengthy cooldown on stim usage, like 30+ seconds

- incurring a large hit to your health, like -35 health

- decreased passive walk and sprint speed for a duration

this negative effect could be called Overdose or something

Message 1 of 8 (715 Views)

★ Guide

Like the thought, but don't you think we should be more focused on buffing octane and not nerfing him?

Add on the the thought

-no negative effects

Just make it where he overheats he can't stim until he cools off, not cool-down (that's what makes Octane-Octane)

Message 2 of 8 (676 Views)

★ Guide

I want him to get buffed so stim doesnt drain health but there has to be something preventing octanes from being stimmed 24/7

Message 3 of 8 (670 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@Eurlanndpersonally i think the stim is fine, maybe decrease how much health it takes away?

Message 4 of 8 (541 Views)

★★ Apprentice

or maybe they increase octanes heal time or the amount he heals

Message 5 of 8 (479 Views)

★ Guide

Alight you might be on to something, but with changes

Me and some friends were playing yesterday and were talking about Octane, someone mention the L-star overheating, but I thought i heard L1 overheating

Then it gave me the idea you had, and then I remembered this post.

But yeah this is a great idea, i thought it was terrible before, but with a few tweaks it could work

Instead of losing health you gain stamina till you "overheat"

Benefits:

-Running in the ring

-Not losing health

-multiple stims at once

-maximum of 12 stims before overheated

Disadvantages:

-stamina bar

-max of 12 stims

-slowly cools off when you stop using stim (you don't have to wait for the whole stamina bar to cool off before you can stim again, "you can always 24/7 use stim") BUT.... if you use another stim while overheated you lose speed and a little health (10%)

UI

-Green stamina bar under health bar

-

Message 6 of 8 (389 Views)

★ Guide

Alight you might be on to something, but with changes

Me and some friends were playing yesterday and were talking about Octane, someone mention the L-star overheating, but I thought i heard L1 overheating

Then it gave me the idea you had, and then I remembered this post.

But yeah this is a great idea, i thought it was terrible before, but with a few tweaks it could work

Instead of losing health you gain stamina till you "overheat"

Benefits:

-Running in the ring

-Not losing health

-multiple stims at once

-maximum of 12 stims before overheated

Disadvantages:

-stamina bar

-max of 12 stims

-slowly cools off when you stop using stim (you don't have to wait for the whole stamina bar to cool off before you can stim again, "you can always 24/7 use stim") BUT.... if you use another stim while overheated you lose speed and a little health (10%)

UI

-Green stamina bar under health bar

Message 7 of 8 (388 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Octane losing health from the massive speed boost he gets is the balancing side of his ability as movement in the game is such a crucial part of it. Octane does need a buff. but I don't know if changing his stim is where the change needs to come from. Perhaps when using his ultimate when you double jump you can change direction in the air. or while he's using stim he can run on walls much like the wall run mechanic in Titanfall.

Message 8 of 8 (366 Views)