Re: Lifeline's voice

by MeMkAll

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

As a missionary kid who grew up in the Caribbean and now an adult, I find it lazy on Respawn's part to not get an authentic Caribbean voice actress to be Lifeline. Jar Jar Binks sounded more authentic, sadly. Please do something to make her sound real or just completely change the character's identity. She currently sounds like someone trying to be a mix between Jamaican and Haitian and failing at both.

Message 11 of 21 (1,086 Views)

★ Guide
Make her character into a mute. Problem solved.
Message 12 of 21 (1,064 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

In a current outrage culture people will always find something to get mad or triggered about. . .

Message 13 of 21 (1,057 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
i like her talking. i dont know where it belongs i just like the way she talk
Message 14 of 21 (1,049 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

But, wasn't that the point? Same with Bloodhound? It's not supposed to be a jamaican/mid-east-european(?) accent, but a hybrid, nonexistent one with those as a base.

Message 15 of 21 (1,005 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Yea I feel the same way it just sounds cringey and out of place. I can't really play lifeline because of it. I'm Caribbean but im not even from an Enlgish speaking Caribbean country, I'm Haitian, and oddly enough her accent is so bad that some people have told me that that they thought she was Haitian or Louisiana creole. Which is sad because its not just a bad accent its also bad patios which is a language. Her patios phrases have grammatical errors and pronunciation errors for example when she uses American pronunciations for the letter H in words. Its really bad. For people that have not been expose to people from the islands i can see how this might seem cute or whatever but if you're from the Caribbean it just sounds really bad for the great majority of us. Its like the white voice that some black comedians in the 80's would do but a little worse because at least some of those were accurately degree and it was clearly for comedic purposes. But this is poorly done, and is clearly just what someone from another culture, who has done no research which is sad for a professional voice actor, thinks we sound like and thats why its disrespectful because its suppose to be taken seriously and you're displaying someone else's culture. But besides that i love her. I had great games with her. I just wish they took the time to cast an actual person with the accent like how they got a korean american to voice crypto which was well done. I actually main crypto partly because i love the voice acting. I love apex and think its a great game however but that accent really has to go. And her skins are very ugly too. But i don't know if thats for gameplay reasons to make her stand out as a nerf because shes the healer but if not oh man.

Message 16 of 21 (751 Views)

★ Novice

I'm Jamaican American and grew up around the Caribbean accent. Lifeline's is literally the worst accent I've ever heard in a video game. It genuinely feels like she's making fun of us.

Message 17 of 21 (642 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Koochi-Q Lol before you * on Jamaican accents go and google the VA. The problem is that it isn't a Jamaican accent it's an American throwing on some Louisiana, American-style fake Jamaican accent. Mela Lee can't do a Jamaican accent to save her life.
Message 18 of 21 (569 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm also Jamaican, so if u don't like it don't use it and stop disrespecting our language 😤 

Message 19 of 21 (422 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Very true 

Message 20 of 21 (422 Views)