Re: Lifeline's voice

by ferpesss

Original Post

Lifeline's voice

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Seriously, can there be another voice actress for lifeline. I can't stand that Jamaican accent... already in the first few matches I got annoyed by it and so was a buddy of mine... It's nothing against her voice, but to hear it almost every match for hours is damn near mind screwing

I know I can't be the only one other than him. 

Message 1 of 21 (6,293 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So you just dont like accents  can always turn off dialogue

Message 2 of 21 (6,214 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Sycogenesis I almost accepted your post as a solution until I thought, wait did I say that I didn't like Gibraltar's hawaiian accent, bloodhound's unknown accent or any of the others. I don't believe so... if you got that idea I sincerely apologize if it weren't for you completely failing to land a hit on the ball.

Message 3 of 21 (6,210 Views)

★★ Novice

Same here! Her accent is so fake. I LOVE jamacian accents, when they sound genuine. This sounds TERRIBLE. Please please EA replace it

Message 4 of 21 (6,044 Views)

★★ Guide

It's so out of place because she definitely does not look Jamaican.

More vaguely asian :P

Message 5 of 21 (6,023 Views)

★ Guide

I think shes half asian half jamaican since she wears that headband with asian writing on it?

not sure about her backstory

Dont think they would change the voice any time soon seeming as the voice actress has already done all the lines for her 

maybe this is what an asian jamaican sounds like? A jamaisian?

fun fact she has also done a lot of voice acting in anime

Message 6 of 21 (6,010 Views)

★ Apprentice

I like it a lot. She's super funny to hear IMO. I often find myself repeating her voice lines after her.

Message 7 of 21 (5,956 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

(Apologies if bumping an old thread is improper etiquette in this forum; I came here with the same complaint, and was redirected to this thread.)

It seems like this is an issue no one is aware of, or even really discussing; when I initially looked this up, I found one other thread on Reddit where Jamaican gamers were talking about Lifeline's accent. And when I mentioned that EA didn't hire a voice actor with an actual Jamaican accent for Lifeline to my friends and coworkers, they had no idea.

This is especially disheartening when compared to the stellar job they did casting the voice actors for Gibraltar and Bangalore, who actually reflect the races and cultures of the characters they're voicing. I mean no disrespect to the voice actress for Lifeline, but I do wish she had realized what she was doing was insensitive, and had passed on this opportunity.

I'm sure the Apex team is working very hard, and this is probably at the bottom of their list of concerns... but it would be nice to see a game that actually goes out of it's way to have such a diverse cast of characters in its roster cast voice actors that reflect that diversity. I hope this is addressed at some point in the near future, and that Jamaican fans of Apex can play Lifeline again with pride and joy.

Message 8 of 21 (5,837 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Firstly, she’s Trini. I know because she uses certain words that are prevalent in that area. 

Okay, the voice actress isn’t a native so what. If you aren’t from Jamaica or Trini yourself then you wouldn’t know what a good accent would sound like. She sounds fine to me. 

Not sure why you don’t find the rest of the characters’ accents annoying when they’re all from America and probably are imitating an accent from a foreign culture as well. 

Message 9 of 21 (5,769 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@ferpesss wrote:

A good friend of mine is half Asian/half Jamaican, and was extremely excited to finally have representation in a video game- and a main character to boot! But when he started playing Apex, and heard Lifeline actually speak... that excitement quickly turned into disappointment. He knew instantly that this accent wasn't genuine, and when he looked up the voice actress, his suspicions were confirmed. He can no longer plays as Lifeline because the fake accent bothers him so much.

Wow. What are the odds.

I have a half pygmy half eskimo friend and he's really disappointed that he still hasn't gotten representation in a video game.

We've got a long way to go.

Message 10 of 21 (5,760 Views)