Re: Legend Meta Breakdown (as of Aftermarket Collection Event)

by DrSeptimus

Original Post

Legend Meta Discussion Thread

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Current Meta (as of Season 7)

my-image (3).png

And at the top of our entire tier list, we have Wraith: the best Legend in this meta. No character is better at flanking positions or repositioning than Wraith. Even if her tactical isn't as useful to escape anymore, it's still way more than enough to sneak behind enemy lines and get some cheeky kills. Her ultimate allows her to do this but her WHOLE TEAM as well. She's also really hard to hit and can predict danger before it happens. If you don't use Wraith in your squad and you want to climb, you are making a mistake. She is a must-pick and is extremely important to your team if you want to win consistently and climb up in the competitive scene.

Gibraltar is honestly a better Lifeline. Her revives and healing ARE better, but Gibby can also defend areas extremely well while doing the required minimum of what LL can do. You can choose either Wattson or Gibraltar for your support and defense department in your squad, but Wattson is generally used more. It's really difficult to take down a skilled Gibraltar right now, and the number one motive for Gibby players is to keep your team alive, which he can do with ease!

Ah, the once bottom-tier Legend Crypto climbed all the way up to the top 3 with just one S6 patch. He can use his drone to instantly respawn and instantly find the next ring location, and can breach all enemy fortified positions with that crazy EMP Wattson mains curse. If you haven't already - consider using Crypto!

Wattson has always been useful for a number of reasons, including that her pylons give free shield healing and she can fortify a position quite quickly. Nothing (except the Ring, of course) can force you to reposition: grenades, Caustic/Gibby/Bang ults, pretty much nothing. Her fences are more punishing, in addition, but her pylons are still weaker than before because they are on a timer and can be destroyed a lot easier now. She is still a must-pick and you should be using her if you want to climb in Ranked.

Pathfinder is climbing back up! Still not a must-pick yet, but the Aftermarket and Season 7 changes have revived his mobility once again. The grappling hook is one of the most busted abilities in the game once mastered, as you can reposition extremely quickly and efficiently with it. He does need a new Passive, but until that happens, the joyous robot still sits comfortably in Legendary tier.

Bloodhound has their time to shine! Since Season 4, they've been hit with a huge number of buffs which allow them to quickly track and quickly kill your enemies. They're great but not really valuable to your team, and I think they'll always be like that for the rest of the game's longevity. They're not in any need of buffs or nerfs: just a solid all-round character.

Caustic has become considerably weaker since Season 5, and this gas nerf is quite detrimental to the future of Caustic's position in the meta, but he's definitely okay at the bottom of Legendary tier. His gas is still an incredible ambushing and repositioning tool which also lets him fortify small spaces quickly. Wattson and Caustic sort of counter each other, as his gas melts her defences, but her trophy systems stop his gas traps and grenades. I don't think he needs a nerf or buff, other than to his Passive.

I don't think Lifeline is bad at all, I think she's one of the better characters, but her kit isn't really that valuable anymore. Drone revives are hats down the best revive and are quite broken if I'm being honest; the ability to open blue supply bins is fairly useful but not exciting; her health drone is good but only really useful passively and her care package still.. sucks. I think that Lifeline needs a few changes: the ability to open blue bins applies to all support heroes (so Loba too), she has her fast healing ability back and her ultimate is changed completely to something like a health kit spawning machine (on the same cooldown) or even the ability to revive from far away/instantly.

Revenant didn't get any changes in the S7 patch, so he still is comfortable in the middle of Epic tier. He's a really strong flanker who is good at mainly two things: third-partying and securing kills. Revenant's only issue is his that is Passive is boring and barely useful. An idea I have to buff Revenant is so that while he is crouching and crouching only, actions like looting, opening doors/loot bins, climbing, swapping weapons etc. are completely silent: also his climbing should be quieter, quicker and higher. These are the minimum requirements in my eyes for Revenant to truly excel.

Bangalore is finally getting the love she deserves! The S7 buff to her ultimate is actually really good because now her airstrike feels a lot more dangerous and definitely induces the repositioning of enemies much more. Her passive is still great as ever, maybe a slight buff could increase her valuability, but her smoke launchers still leave much to be desired. Bangalore is not the best offensive character/flanker in this meta but she's not the worst, she's where she's always been: in the middle.

Only a few days ago, Loba was the worst Legend on this list. The Season 7 buff has significantly boosted her strength because now ammo does not count as one of your two choices from the Black Market, but now you can't steal weapons, which in my eyes isn't so bad. However Loba still lacks deserving the Epic Tier because her tactical is more of a passive movement tool across medium distances rather than an escape/high ground tool, which would be much more useful imo. In addition, her passive ability is still quite useless, but her ultimate really is the carry here. Buff the speed, height and distance of the tactical and allow her to see more useful items (like heals) through walls and she will be on her way up the ranks.

Rampart isn't bad but she's not great either. Her passive is only usable on 3 guns, and is only good on 2! The walls are useful when deployed, but other Legends can fortify a position much quicker than Rampart. She is a little stronger with the S7 patch, but unfortunately other Legends are much stronger and more valuable.

Mirage did get a rework, but his kit is still quite weak. The decoys are extremely situational and only a really experienced Mirage player (like top 5%) can actually use them correctly and find value in them. It's still very easy to tell a Decoy from a Mirage, and his ultimate, while extremely useful in fights, isn't all that and is still countered by a big brain player, which most of the community nowadays are. The passive is actually really good, but invisible reviving is not as good as a drone revive or dome revive in the middle of a fight, and why invisible respawn when you can instantly and safely respawn with a Crypto drone? The Season 7 buffs should hopefully be effective and help Mirage become more viable, but for now he is still towards the bottom of the list.

The worst Legend in this meta is Octane. He did get a small buff in Season 7 but it did not fix the main reason Octane sucks in competitive play - he lacks team synergy. The stim is cool and definitely quite strong to engage and disengage in fights, and the jump pad is definitely the worst repositioning and mobility tool. Octane is fast but loud and quite useless to your squad. I think that Octane should still be an offensive character with some support elements, so maybe his stim has a radius which speeds up allies too.

This thread will be updated as Respawn makes changes to the Legends. Please bear in mind that there is no such thing as a "pubs tier list" and this ranking and breakdown of the meta is mainly a guide to choosing your team compositions in Ranked Leagues and competitive play. Please feel free to share your own tier lists and rankings and argue your opinion on mine.

Message 1 of 37 (2,270 Views)

★★★ Pro

If you think a Legend should be ranked higher, you may be able to sway my opinion!

Message 2 of 37 (2,222 Views)

★ Guide
@CompleatBeet I disagree about a few of these
Lifeline is one of the most op legends right now, for revives she can revive and fight at the same time, having a larger shield when reviving is much much worse than being able to fight while reviving with 0 cooldown.

Bangalore hasnt been changed much but she is still a strong legend, her smokes arent super reliable because of threat highlighting but they are still good and her ultimate is a great control tool

Wattson and caustic camping isnt an effective strat anymore because all armor is evo armor, you need to do lots of damage to win late game and camping in buildings just doesnt get the damage you need

Crypto has the advantage of safe beacon scanning but his emp is really bad since it only serves to counter caustic wattson and rampart none of which a super strong right now.

Revanant's ult is very strong right now and a well placed silence can be very effective, so I would put him up a tier.

Pathfinder is still very powerful despite all the recent nerfs he still has that advantage of burst mobility and highground

Message 3 of 37 (2,207 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@CompleatBeet Idk how you put Bloodhound above pathfinder and lifeline. His scans are nice but not game changing, if you're a good player you should have a good idea of where the enemy is at. Pathfinder even with nerfs has never dropped lower than tier 2, and he just got a buff. His mobility is the best, both tactical and ultimate can get you the high ground. Switch pathfinder and Bloodhound. Then move rampart down one.
Message 4 of 37 (2,179 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Westhebird Just so you know there are these things called sniper rifles that you can shoot ppl from a distance and do damage to level up your evo. Also its no big deal to level an evo to purple with crafting material. So camping isn't a problem.
Since you also brought up crypto and evo Shields doing 150 damage with a drone without taking any risk is a pretty nice way to level up an evo as well as help with campers. I have a crypto buddy who will solo ranked and us the emp as a way to get alert other teams where another team is because its not hard to see the emp from a distance.
Message 5 of 37 (2,178 Views)

★ Guide
@Ironflower196 But snipers are easy to play around if they rarely ever move, and cryptos emp is great for getting evo armor but its damage is low, and the stun is short and affects your team so its hard to get actual use from the stun and people can often heal from the damage by the time you get there.

Blooshound was top tier pre aftermarket, and is till very strong being able to know where everyone is half the time during a fight is definitely game changing.
Message 6 of 37 (2,172 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@Westhebird Sorry guy but your delusional if you think Bloodhound is better than Crypto. I guess you also didn't read where I said you should already have a good idea where your opponents are. Also you can deceive the your opponents with Bloodhounds scan, not to mention the scan itself gives away the Bloodhounds position. Also the whole camping isn't an effective strategy because of evo is trash I just put that down by talking about snipers and replicaters, do you pay attention to your own words? It really depends on positioning of the camps and rotations. Not to mention its not all about winning you cant win them all, placement and kills get you points, sniping while holding a good position to get placement is extremely effective at ranking up.
Message 7 of 37 (2,150 Views)

★★ Guide
@CompleatBeet Wattson should be at heirloom.

Ultimate accelerant instant recharge her ultimate, a single EMP destroying the pylon doesn't make any changes. You might say the 6 second recharge time is more than enough for you to rush in for a kill, but that's only work against noob Wattson.

A smart Wattson would place a pylon and immediately use accelerant to keep the ultimate ready in the case of EMP. As soon as your EMP break it, another can be immediately deployed.

As Crypto main, I would put him at mid tier (Epic) rather than Legendary. Knowing the next ring is all good, but you still need to be lucky since not all the ring have beacon nearby.

Instant respawn sounds great, but there is a mobile respawn beacon in the game. Legend such as Gibby can do it with minimal risk as well.

As for knowing the number of squad nearby? It is useful until ring 3-4, whereby the ring is small there is little to no values to even checking the banner anymore.
Message 8 of 37 (2,145 Views)

★★ Guide
@Westhebird It's damage is low? That's probably because your EMP only hit a single target.

If the EMP hit a single squad, that's 150 damage. For it to evolves to level 5 which require 500 damage, that's basically 30% of the requirement already been met.
Message 9 of 37 (2,145 Views)

★ Guide
@DrSeptimus I know that its good for getting evo armor but for pushiing its really underwhelming.
Message 10 of 37 (2,136 Views)