How I would buff Octane

by djmitchell2001

Original Post

How I would buff Octane

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Octane is supposed to be the fastest character, trading off health for speed. But that's not the case. We have bangalore who can go as fast as octane just by being shot at, without a health penalty, and she can use a smoke screen on top of that, pathfinder is the fastest legend still, and bloodhound and wraith can go faster than octane just by using their ultimate. To make Octane the speedy aggressive character we want, here's my ideas (feel free to change or disagree)

Passive: his health regen makes sense but I think it should CONSTANTLY regen health (even when using stim and taking fire). He should also have a secondary passive (for example low profile is a secondary passive) to where he doesn't slow down after falling.

Tactical: his tactical is of course Stim which only gives 30% speed for the cost of health and slow reduction. I like the concept but it doesnt do much except a little speed boost other characters can beat. I would change it from 30% to 40%. ONLY during stim, he should not have a reduction to speed when holding a gun. And he should not slow down when hit (like with caustic's gas, Watson's fences, throwing stars, etc) during stim, which makes sense because he has to sacrifice his health still but he would be able to get out quickly. This would make stim viable even when taking health away to balance it out.

Ultimate: His jump pads is honestly kind of good. The distance and the height is fine but I would change some things. I think it should stack to 3. This would be good because it would be as viable for transportation as wraith's portal and pathfinder's zipline since u could use it up to 3 times (The ultimate should be able to recharge up to 3 times, when u use a jump pad, it should start recharging for another one, it would stop recharging when you have 3 and when u use one, it starts recharging for another one if that makes sense).  And the 2nd change is for a little hint that says "Holding the jump button when using octane's jump pads makes you go higher and farther" because a lot of people still do not know about it.

Message 1 of 7 (593 Views)

Re: How I would buff Octane

★ Novice

I think you have some great ideas! Octane is one of my favourite legends. I think you really hit the nail on the head with stim, great ideas! For Octane's ultimate, it often feels like I'm a sitting duck when using the jump pad aggressively. This is purely because of the predictable fall path, which could be mitigated by implementing some form of air control, or giving him a short duration wall run ability from TitanFall 2. (Personally I would love to see a complete switch on his ultimate into a short duration, like 30 sec, TitanFall2 style wall run ability so he can really make use of high ground or flanking) The bounce pad often feels more like a support role ability, than an aggressive attacker ability.

Message 2 of 7 (435 Views)

Champion

Some nice idea's here! Agree that octane needs some adjustments to his abilities. 

Would you prefer it if his tactical had a longer cool-down but no health penalty, maybe lasted slightly longer too?

Hey there I'm a volunteered Champion! I don't work for EA I just like to help out around the forums, keep the peace and submit ideas to the community.

Did I answer your question? Please leave some tasty XP or even mark as a solution!

Got some QOL ideas for Apex? Add them here: 

Apex Legends QOL Collection

Message 3 of 7 (430 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I think he should have the ability to fire his gun while sprinting, but he can only hip fire. I also agree with the increase to speed. he doesnt need a lot of work, just a few small tweaks to make him viable. 

Perhaps, instead of not stumbling on a landing, his legs give him the ability to jump a little far off of a high landing. like if he jumps from the top of a building in Capitol City, he lands and his legs act almost like his jump pad, but about half the distance?

Message 4 of 7 (417 Views)

★ Guide
@djmitchell2001
I agree mostly with your ideas, but maybe not the jump pad.
As you said the Jump Pad is fine, though I think instead of stacking, different actions should occur due to movement (slide, jump, walk, run) that changes how you move in the air. I believe there should be a way too avoid shots as one can one a zip line. Though on a jump pad you can barely move or avoid shots. Which is a disadvantage.

I agree with the stim (tactical) ability, but I think by default Octane should move 10% faster and stim adds 30% more in speed boost.

Passive should also regenerate constantly EXCEPT when health is being damage.

Great Ideas Though!
Message 5 of 7 (409 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@djmitchell2001 "And he should not slow down when hit (like with caustic's gas, Watson's fences, throwing stars, etc) during stim, which makes sense because he has to sacrifice his health still but he would be able to get out quickly."
Tactical description in-game - 'Reduction to slows when active'. Not completely immune, but lesser than other legends if you use your tactical.
Message 6 of 7 (360 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@BaldWraithSimp wrote:
@djmitchell2001"And he should not slow down when hit (like with caustic's gas, Watson's fences, throwing stars, etc) during stim, which makes sense because he has to sacrifice his health still but he would be able to get out quickly."
Tactical description in-game - 'Reduction to slows when active'. Not completely immune, but lesser than other legends if you use your tactical.

That's what I'm saying. He should be immune to slows.

Message 7 of 7 (240 Views)