Re: Gibraltar

by ZeptikkHue

Original Post

Gibraltar

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I just wana say that its utter disgusting that gibraltar can have 2 shields. Thats just as good as having to go up against a hacker. And it needs to be fixed. And another thing my badges "apex predator" and "double duty" doesnt unlock and its not as if i win often so that too is very disgusting.

Message 1 of 21 (744 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I take it you play on console?

On PC, Gibraltar is still the worst, by far. They need to make his shield cover his head and take 100 dmg instead of 75, or else it is basically useless. 15% fortified for base health is like 7.5% extra health in total with level 3 or 4 body armor, that is nothing considering his hit box is more than twice the size of some other legends. He easily takes 30-50% more damage from a spray compared to the smaller legends, no matter the skill level of the shooter. He also is not able to quickly peek corners to shoot and hide like other legends.

Alternatively to making his shield cover his head, the Dome shield could give him and his teammates fortified to shield as well as long as they are close to it. (like inside and 2-3 meters outside of it)

On console I imagine he is much better as it is not easy to aim precisely, like at his head or legs, with a controller. I am not sure how you would make him balanced on both PC and console at the same time without him having slightly different perks. :X

Message 2 of 21 (725 Views)

★ Novice

Also, Gibraltar's gun shield isn't very well thought out because of the fact he can be headshotted (his head isn't protected), but you can see the gun shield at head level. They should cut it in half 

Message 3 of 21 (693 Views)

★ Guide
@hfdfghytb Having a passive which requires him to ads (in a movement based shooter no less) and be a slow easily hittable target on top of his already massive hitbox means that he is going to be bottom tier for the rest of time.
Message 4 of 21 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@NNeil6991His tactical gives you cover literally ANYWHERE though long enough to phoenix, and his ult buys time like no one elses. It's true you have to play a different game with him than the mobile/smaller characters but for the guys who can use him well (not as many as the hyper mobile legends) he's fantastic.

My friend who mains him has about 140 S2 wins and I'd stack him up against anyone, especially 1v1 Tongue out Once you reach a certain point (which I gather a lot of guys on here have reached) - people generally aren't missing their shots, so the guy with the impenetrable shield tactical is like an unmined resource at the minute imho.

[edit] - Before the question is asked: xbox.  I've gamed on PC for a little over 20 years until I decided to move to the Southern hemisphere and couldn't justify the expense of a new PC after setting my life up again from scratch.  With my controller and my friends controller we are still going up against people using Xim emulators to plug a mouse and keyboard into their console.  They're bound by the sensitivity settings of the game, but they can quickflick and snap aim just like on PC.  The limitations on the Xim/Chrono really only bring the ceiling down on the top tiny % of players as far as I've had it explained to me.  The explanations came from people who switched from PC to console and hated the controller.

Message 5 of 21 (660 Views)

★ Guide
@Anlbrd I haven't seen many Gibbys so far, and before I got to Platinum I was shredding the gold Gibbys. However I only ranked up two days ago and haven't been able to play much due to my sticks being fried, so maybe he is meta in plat and diamond and i'm just tripping.
Message 6 of 21 (654 Views)

★★ Pro
@NNeil6991 I'm definitely not arguing he's meta mate - he's not Standard smile But meta in games like this is as much to do with following a trend as technical advantage and superiority of the legends.

The ABSOLUTE best players who play certain legends and define the meta often are playing the best FOR THEM, and everyone from the 2nd best player down through the various strata of tryhard/sweaty players decide to emulate them. Meta to me on a technical level would just mean - the most advantageous configuration possibly produced by the game.

Meta in our culture is often a choice to blindly follow example made by all the subscribers to it but when a game is well balanced (as I think Apex is in danger of being Tongue out) a meta can change even when the game doesn't, meaning either new discoveries about how to have the most advantage have been made, or someone with a lot of social influence (Shroud) has decided to main someone new.
Message 7 of 21 (651 Views)

★★ Novice
@NNeil6991 Slow? Dude all legends hve the same speeds beside from passive abilities like octane and bloodhound so thats BS. And i stand by my opinion that he cant have 2 shields to shoot thru
Message 8 of 21 (637 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@hfdfghytb @Anlbrd 

He may have the same movement speed, but his size makes him slower in practice. This is because it takes longer for him to peek corners as he has to move further to hide his large body. He also has to move slow in order to use his personal shield, so yes, he is actually the slowest legend overall. Him not getting stunned by bullets helps a bit though.

It is really easy for an above average player to get 120 wins with any legend, even in ranked play, especially on console where there are mainly low skilled casual gamers. Having a keyboard and mouse on console helps, but still most people play with low frame rates and low TV\monitor refresh rates with a lot of delay. Playing mostly against weak enemies prevents you from getting quality practice too.

Among high skilled players Gibraltar is practically a big joke (people with the 20 kill and 3000-4000 dmg badges), but I can see how he feels OP in low skilled matches as he can take more damage and destroy people who don't know how to move away from his ultimate. There is no professional gamer who Gibraltar is best for, even if he fits their play style. He is total crap at that level.

He is a bit tricky to balance across all skill levels and across platforms, but players will improve as the game ages so I believe they should always balance legends for the higher skill levels. Skilled PC players always aim at the head so his personal shield is totally useless in high skilled match-ups. My suggestion is to make his personal shield take 100 dmg and cover his whole frontal body, from head to toe. This way he will work the same on both PC and Console and he can actually play his role, being a tank, without dying immediately when shot upon by being a huge wall.

If you think Gibraltar is OP, you are not a skilled player. That's fine though, just try and improve and you'll see he's underwhelming soon enough.

Message 9 of 21 (626 Views)

★★ Novice
@ZeptikkHue Caustic is just as large why doesnt he have an extra shield too then?
Message 10 of 21 (610 Views)