Re: Caustic is worst legend

by RL_Mozsi

Original Post

★ Apprentice

I do like the idea of gas grenades. But I feel that it would take away from what he was supposed to do. He is an end game character.  I do feel that a squad with him on it would deploy tactics to overcome the gas. 

It seems everybody complains about the two major issues that are the same. 1. The gas effects his squad mates. 2. The gas is not effective enough.

I pointed out in another post the gas should do damage and everytime after initial damage the damage will continue to stack eventually killing you if you stayed in it. Example would be standard damage then standard damage + x then standard damage + x that would stack with more the longer you're in the cloud. It would allow him to set up his containers spaced out for maximum effect . this would make enemies second-guess if they want to run through an area like the bunker with a possibility of 6 gas traps placed in there. I believe that he is there to weaken other squads and when they get to him he'll have no problem finishing them off because of their weakened state.

Message 11 of 44 (543 Views)

★ Pro

Caustic should be able to see through his gas at all times. That is, if he’s in the gas but an enemy is outside the gas area, he can still see them highlighted green. Also, if the area of the gas is between himself and enemies and his line of sight passes directly through it, they are still highlighted green. 

As it works now, even considering the damage(paltry/insignificant), it’s a less functional smoke grenade than Bangalore’s is. This applies to both his mines and his grenade. 

Message 12 of 44 (535 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Just don't stand in it. 

You've been taught this simple concept since vanilla WOW. If you haven't learned it by now I don't know man 

Message 13 of 44 (525 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

The gas grenade idea sound great, like ultimate with smaller area. 3 grandes in your pocket. Ulti big area...

First no effect on your mates the gas. Ofc no effect on enemy team as well, if they have caustic.

2 way to approach this question.

Large area effect small dmg...

or opposite 

Small area effect high dmg...

Pick one.

Traps useless like this, easy to see them, easy to take them out.

If you change them to be invisible should help the trap way,

but how would ingame invisible stuffs, like traps?

(Only viable way for traps be invisible)

Message 14 of 44 (498 Views)

★ Apprentice
Bruh again you are on all the caustic posts he's trash you're the only fool who thinks otherwise
Message 15 of 44 (472 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Blueberry wrote:

What are your suggestions in making him more desirable to play with?

You guys have had countless obvious ideas to fix this issue.  Clearly, you enjoy 65% of your game and 90% of streamers and wannabe streamers playing wraith....

Ideas already suggested yet ignored:  

1.  Increase hp to compensate for giant hit box.

2.  Or give them higher armor rating naturally aka they get hit for less damage than the small characters.

Something not thought of:

1.  Give him throwable grenades instead of traps.  This way you can push and actually trap people instead of cowering in buildings like a chump.

Message 16 of 44 (462 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@LuckyCanuckLuke wrote:

Every legend ability that doesn't self target affects both teams. It encourages smart play and punishes bad play. 

There is a difference between theoretical punishment and actual punishment. Let's use Lifeline, your avatar, as an example. In theory, both teams can use Lifelines drone. In practice, the opposing team can only use the drone AFTER they kill you, which makes it a moot point. By contrast, Caustics gas tends to screw over his own team DURING the fight. Let's use Wraith as another example: In theory, the opposing team can use Wraiths own portals to kill her team. In practice, this only works if they are sneaking up behind you like Ninjas completely undetected. In which case, you are screwed anyways. The opposing team using Wraiths portal really only funnels them into a single point that can be easily watched.

The thing about the active abilities of the most popular characters is they are only drawbacks in situations where your team is screwed anyways. By contrast, Caustics active can screw over his own team in the middle of an even fight. And because the positions he fortifies tends to be the positions his team is trying to hold, this means his team has to function inside the gas while the opposing team doesn't. The single biggest problem is that having a large hitbox is such a huge problem in itself that the big characters need to have absolutely amazing active abilities to average out to "meh" overall. Instead, they have some of the worse active abilities in the game.

Message 17 of 44 (451 Views)

★★★★ Guide

only if they are dumb enough to stand in it and not flank from the side enemies are likely to use to avoid the gas 

Message 18 of 44 (442 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

If you use "gas grenades", you can throw them inside buildings, same resolution as traps. In open area, how usefull your traps? Compare with other legends equipment.(Lifeline q, Wraith q, etc.) If we keep the traps way, caustic teams forced to go in city areas(end game should be strong as well at small circle), bunker etc... You couldnt play at the hole map "same power".

That should be a call ofc, but then he should get dominance this areas(like  gas no effect on teammates)

But that way i dont think its healthy for the game.
Caustic like this, we see how many streamers use him.
Check just the pick rate.

Ofc hitbox problem has to be fixed. One way, or other. Out of question.

Message 19 of 44 (428 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have to agree. I hate just having a caustic on my team. When I see someone highlighting a caustic, I plead with them to pick ANY other character. Seriously, every time someone on my team plays caustic, they spam ping bunker, then solo drop to bunker if the jumpmaster doesnt. If he drops with the rest of the squad, then he just gets annoying dropping traps at doors while im trying to loot and stuff. Im sorry if I offend anyone that really likes caustic, but he sucks. His "character" is fun, (Placing independent variable), but he just isnt worth picking over literally anybody else. 

P.S.- His ult should be his regular ability. And give him a different ult. Do away with the whole "trap block door and screw over your team" thing.

Honestly, it would be better if his ability just sprayed it out in front of him like a flame thrower. at least he could aim it where he wants it. Something, anything.

Message 20 of 44 (409 Views)