Re: Caustic is worst legend

by Kuro466

Original Post

Caustic is worst legend

★★★★ Apprentice

His gas is pretty useless, unless you lock someone in the bunker room. blurry effect is tolerable, damage can be neglected.

His gas affecting teammates.

His traps can be used as enemy detector, but enemy now can destroy them without triggering, so unless you look and wait for someone, you won't even notice the moment they destroyed your trap

His hitbox is giant, second after Gibraltar, but Gib got shield.

His is supposed to be space denial tank, but with current harmless gas, that isn't more dangerous than after dinner cigarette, you just can't tank.

Message 1 of 44 (1,728 Views)

Community Manager

What are your suggestions in making him more desirable to play with?

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 44 (1,660 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Blueberry 

There are few things:
- Make his Nox gas poisonous, once affected it lingers like thermite does.
- Adjust his hitbox to his body, ignoring clothes - right now his torso seems like one big practice square.
- Fix the slow - it does not affect sliding people / some reported it doesn't affect people with armor too.
- Reduce his Ultimate CD - it's very situational and not really that usefull in comparison let's say to Bloodhound.
- Make his gas not affect allies when he is nearby (sharing breathing devices with squad).
- Speed up his running animation - even if the speed is the same he feels heavier than let's say Lifeline / Wraith and at least I am having problems to slide as quickly like with those two.
- Make his barrels deployable with 1 hand so we can still shoot from hip while using tactical ability.

I've put in Bold three things would affect his gameplay in a possitive way 100% without pushing him in OP side.

Message 3 of 44 (1,649 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

At lvl 92, with plenty of exposure to caustic situations.. i hate having caustic on my team because his gas blurs and slows me at the worst moments, and i cant tell the difference between friendly and enemy gas and canisters.

Why would i want to play with a teammate whose abilities screw ME over, while not even being that strong? No thanks. 

When there is a caustic i my squad, i don't go in any building he's in. Maybe there is room for his current design in high level ranked with skill based matchmaking, but not in pub games.

As for how to fix him..

Distinguishing friendly from enemy gas and traps, and removing the blur on friendly players would be a good start.

I know it doesn't fit the lore concept that only caustics are wearing gasmasks, but this is a game, and currently having caustic on my team is annoyingly troll.

Message 4 of 44 (1,610 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
Most annoying is the giant hitbox... I started today playing Caustic. The only reason to keep playing is because I want my PS4 trophies 100% and I need the 5000 damage and just 1 win with him. The first is not that hard, but to win a match with this guy.....

90% of my matches today I was shot dead in 2 seconds. Even with armor and when I started shooting the enemy in the back and they don't die for I don't know what reason. I just have no chance with this guy because the enemy don't even need any skill with aiming to hit Caustic. Every bullet is an instant hit. I'm really frustrated and even as the guy who always says "it's just a game" this leeched all the fun out of it for today and even thinking of never picking this horrible character again.
Message 5 of 44 (1,494 Views)

★★★★ Guide

To make caustic a more viable pick:

I agree that his gas should have a short duration persistent damage over time. the damage the gas currently does is basically nothing.

His gas affects his teammates and that makes him undesirable as a squad mate because the slow hurts his team as much as the enemy team, however I do not feel you can remove this because all player abilities affect all players. The solution in this case is to replace his 6 nox traps with 3 nox grenades that have double the area of effect  that his nox traps currently have. This would allow caustic to target enemies over teammates with his nox and would make him much less situational and a viable contributor in open area combat. 

Lastly, obviously hitboxes are an issue but you can only make his hitbox so small before bullets hitting his model don't register making players feel like they are being cheated. Ultimately with both tank characters I think there is going to be a requirement to either have a small damage reduction (10-15%) or a base HP buff to balance them against smaller characters that are harder to hit. 

Message 6 of 44 (1,479 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

The super obvious one is his gas not slowing teammates or blurring their vision. It's shocking it's in the game the other way

Message 7 of 44 (1,470 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Every legend ability that doesn't self target affects both teams. It encourages smart play and punishes bad play. 

Message 8 of 44 (1,466 Views)

★★ Guide

Still waiting for a listed ability that actively slows and blurs the vision of a team, besides the bombing ults

Message 9 of 44 (1,463 Views)

★ Guide

agreed with #3 . 

Message 10 of 44 (1,439 Views)