Re: Caustic/Loba/Revenant - allow disabling "toxic" voice lines

by Professor_Doggy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Caustic/Loba/Revenant - allow disabling "toxic" voice lines

★★★★ Novice

For "Lore" reasons, Loba, Revenant, and now Caustic have voice lines towards some other legends, in which instead of the desired "Thank you" or "You are welcome", they trash-talk the squadmate.

This was bad enough in Seasons 4 and 5 (Revenant and Loba, respectively), but at least back then there was the "They have always been like that" explanation.

But now, in Season 6, Caustic is trash-talking Crypto. I really like(d) to play Caustic and am trying to be a good teammate, politely thanking for good pings and so on. However, now the game is putting words in my mouth when I press [F1], which, according to the on-screen hint ([F1] "Thank You") should result in a thank you. Instead, I make some harsh comment towards my squadmate.

Please, Respawn, if you really want to "role-play the story" in the main confrontational mode, give us the option to opt-out of these toxic, trash-talking remarks towards our own squadmates. (or, better yet, require us to OPT-IN to activate them).

If you want to show that Caustic hates Crypto or Loba hates Revenant, do it towards ENEMY teams' Cryptos and Revenants! If a Loba kills Revenant, by all means, let her have a special voice line like "Another demon slain!" or whatever.

But there are new people joining Apex Legends - people who never played the Quest of Season 5, people who perhaps haven't watch the Season 4 story trailer. They have no idea that Loba hates Revenant (or Caustic hates Crypto and why). These players jump into a game, only to be insulted, bashed, mocked, accused by their squadmates!

Can't you see how insanely toxic that is?

Message 1 of 18 (2,892 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

I felt back in Season 4 when you "you're welcome"'d a Revenant, it was funnier as Legends' cheery responses made Rev come off as more of a petulant teenager than a terrifying murder robot. 

That said I love the new lines and the snippets of lore. 

But that's besides the point, and more options is always good, so I'd like to see options for those folks who don't want the more confrontational lines. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png

View in thread

Message 6 of 18 (2,682 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice
@alcatorsk I think it should stay. It really brings out the personality of each legend and you get a better understanding of who they are and what they might have been though. It also lets you know that some legends do have beef with each other. Why have lore for a game but not include it?
Message 2 of 18 (2,751 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@alcatorsk Besides, the vlines between caustic and crypto were in season five so they aren't that new.
Message 3 of 18 (2,750 Views)

★★ Guide
@alcatorsk Nope.. they should stay.. it would make people curious and check out the lore instead.

I did't know why Caustic hates Crypto till I heard the line, so I goes around checking those story.
Message 4 of 18 (2,735 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@LilTatahTot It doesn't matter what you _think_. I'm asking for an option to opt out of this unnecessary toxicity. You can keep playing with them, but for me, this is unacceptable. If the game tells me "Press [F1] to thank [player X]", then I expect pressing F1 will actually thank player X, not trash-talk them.
Message 5 of 18 (2,728 Views)

Community Manager

I felt back in Season 4 when you "you're welcome"'d a Revenant, it was funnier as Legends' cheery responses made Rev come off as more of a petulant teenager than a terrifying murder robot. 

That said I love the new lines and the snippets of lore. 

But that's besides the point, and more options is always good, so I'd like to see options for those folks who don't want the more confrontational lines. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 6 of 18 (2,683 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_David The question is whether Respawn will ever see this request.
Message 7 of 18 (2,679 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

man are you the reason we lost that tunnel rat voice line yall got me cracked up stop being so overly sensitive.

Message 8 of 18 (2,677 Views)

★★ Apprentice

tunnel rat is a slur that's why it was removed smh. but don't remove the voice lines in the game that's what gives the character, character. taking it out would be bland. they're there to represent the character's opinion on a another.

Message 9 of 18 (2,668 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I could live without ANY added dialogue in the matches. The legends can talk garbage at the load screen or during the jump, but when we're on the ground I'm ready to listen to the game. All of the jibber-jabber is lame and makes it harder to hear combat, footsteps, etc. The only ones I enjoyed were some of Mirage's comedic lines and Pathfinder's enthusiastic goofiness. I want ping notices and thank you's. That's all.

Message 10 of 18 (2,661 Views)