Buffing Caustic's Traps

by Adendon

Original Post

Buffing Caustic's Traps

★★ Guide

Caustic's traps needs a buff:

1. I've played so many games where an enemy in a small room wouldn't trigger any of the Caustic traps. When I say small, I'd say as small as the smallest room in the bunker.
  2. (Not sure if this is a bug or feature, so I'm going to assume it's a feature) Caustic traps take way too long to trigger after it's been set in front of an enemy.  For example, I threw a trap in a drop ship in front of an enemy. After the trap grew to full size, it wouldn't activate, even when the enemy was literally touching the trap; and danced around the thing for 4 to 5 seconds. The only reason it activated in the end was because he/she shot it by accident.
  3. Make Caustic Traps smaller, I wouldn't say make it as small as a grenade because one of the beauties of the trap is that it can block doors. Maybe to the height of caustic's knees.
  4. Remove disarm traps by hitting below the canister. It's way too exploitable, and requires little skill.
  5. Increase the range at which caustic can throw his traps. Maybe throw it like a frisbee.
Message 1 of 11 (952 Views)

Re: Buffing Caustic's Traps

I love those idea's.

It's also pretty good feedback.

Maybe An idea to add to the traps make them stick to walls. So they can be placed more sneaky if there are smaller.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 2 of 11 (932 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yea this happened to me today where an Octane was literally shooting at me in front of my gas trap and it didn't go off. Not to mention there are cases where my gas trap just disappear if i open a door i placed them in front of.

The part that really will get you is the fact that they removed a 1 second delay the traps used to have, crazy I know. But at this point after using the character for over 2k games I've come to understand he was meant to be bad.

There's no way that he got through design and testing like this and they didn't see how weak he was compared to the rest of the characters, he's just supposed to not be good and hard to use. It's the only justification for these abilities.

Message 3 of 11 (912 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

They need to be nerfed, not buffed. You can deploy 6 traps and it just drains people health and slows them. And why in the hell would you want apex to remove disarm traps? that would just make them the most OP thing in the game and you could block yourself permanetly in a house or block others with them having to take damage to leave the house 

Message 4 of 11 (828 Views)

★★★★ Guide

As a Caustic main, of course I agree with the sentiment of this post. But there are some things I disagree with and agree with.

Agree:

1. There is an issue with the traps not triggering sometimes when an enemy is dancing around them

2. There is an issue with traps disappearing by doorways

Disagree:

1. Not sure why you would want to make his traps smaller. One of the perks of his traps is that he can use them as cover. Which can come in clutch, especially in this more open map where this is less cover in places.

2. Removing the disarm traps would make them extremely strong. But I would like to see the disarm trigger gain some health so that it can't be disarmed so effortlessly. Maybe like 60-80 health.

Message 5 of 11 (819 Views)

★★ Pro

An idea to explore might be allowing Caustic to remotely trigger his traps with an ability but I really don't think he's underpowered currently.  The only thing I think that would balance him out a bit is to give him a smaller hitbox inline with someone like Mirage and remove fortified.

Message 6 of 11 (796 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

block Permanetly door???

do you even not learn you can punch door and destory door and shot gas trap

noob learn how to play game

Message 7 of 11 (694 Views)

★★ Apprentice

+Faster Deploy / Arming Speed
+Debuff Slowing healing by 25% for 10 seconds after damaged by gas (reverse Gibraltar dome)
+Spreading Radius over time to gas or increased vertical height to gas
-Activating Traps by proximity through intact doors

These are the best ideas I've come across for possible Caustic buffs.. least picked least deadly legend.

Message 8 of 11 (645 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

pls just dont make it smaller, because then i cant do this anymore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKsdoGcOJOA

Message 9 of 11 (615 Views)

★★ Novice

I really just don't care for how the traps are treated as grenades half the time.  It's not that their used unfairly... just... broken?  We have a Caustic trap.  What's a key word here?  Right, trap.  And its success as a trap... not very good.  You see one in the distance or poking out and it screams out "Caution.  Poke me and I'll be annoying!"  One's thrown in front of you and poofs?  "Darn my eyes.  Owell, downed him anyways since he was too busy lobbing inflatable bags of onions." 

I'd much rather see the traps be redone in a way that makes them feel more like traps.  Maybe he could have a breakthrough.  After all, a true scientist doesn't live off of a single 'success' (if we want to call it that at the moment).  Different trap options would be really nice.  Ability to add camouflage.  Smaller?  Anything would work better than what's going on right now.  Damage isn't really a factor.  Just, their effectiveness of being a t-r-a-p.

"We could all throw rocks at one another and deem it as trapping"

-Tony Stark 2014

Message 10 of 11 (602 Views)