A buff that would make Mirage potent, but not broken.

by GenericSchlub

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

A buff that would make Mirage potent, but not broken.

★ Guide

Mirage, despite being one of the most fun characters to play (and my favorite character), is currently the weakest legend in the game (coming from a Mirage main) and needs a slight re-work to be on par with the other Legends. I propose four small changes. Each one is ranked in italics as to how badly Mirage needs a change like this.

1. Holding down the button/key you have mapped to Mirage's tactical should bring up a UI similar to the ping/quip wheel that allows you to select the action the decoy will perform (crouch in place, run, act knocked, shoot [no damage, just noise] etc.). Mirage could get by without this change

2. Extend Mirage's passive invisibility to one second longer than the time that it takes to self revive if you have a gold Knockdown Shield. Also, Mirage should have the ability to end his passive invisibility early (so your squad mates don't have to spend forever looking for him). Mirage could get by without this change.

3. Extend the Mirage's invisibility from his Ultimate by 25%-50%. His time limit was fine in King's Canyon due to how close cover was at all times, but World's Edge has massive sight lines and open areas and Mirage's ult no longer lasts long enough to get to another section of cover in parts of the map. Mirage needs a change like this, but not as badly as he needs a change like number 4.

4. Mirage's tactical should produce random legends that the player has unlocked as decoys. The decoys should have the same skin equipped as the one that the player has on that legend. Ex: If I use Mirage's tactical and the decoy is a Lifeline, she would have the Guardian Angel skin equipped because I have that skin equipped on Lifeline. Mirage definitely needs this change.

We already sort of got number four in game via the changing legends mid-match bug that appeared a few months back. I won't explain how to do it because it is quite game breaking and I don't know if they patched it yet, but it allowed you to change what legend you were in game (although you still had the Passive, Tactical, and Ultimate abilities of the original Legend you picked). One of the most notable uses of this bug was where a streamer saw an Octane sending out decoys. The important thing to note, though, is that the decoys were Octanes and not Mirages. Most high tier players generally assume that and Mirage you see is a decoy, so I think that this change would make Mirage's tactical more potent. This change should also apply to the two decoys you can deploy during the initial jump and during redeploys.

I feel that these changes would make Mirage potent, but not busted. Obviously, the percentages/times mentioned here are just rough estimates and might not be perfectly balanced. If Respawn decided to make any of these changes, they are much better at game balance than I am and would be able to decide the correct times and percentages.

Message 1 of 7 (833 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: A buff that would make Mirage potent, but not broken.

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I've always wanted the idea of the control wheel addition to the tactical. I'd also add a healing (the decoy uses your currently equiped healing item) and a teammate reviving animation when they reach their destination, complete with their respective audios to really throw off an enemy.

I feel like the multi-legend decoys are unnecessary. That wouldn't make sense to Mirage's character and, with less Mirage decoys being produced, enemies would be more likely to shoot the actual Mirage tryna pull a sneaky one. Plus any legend could then run in a straight line to fool enemies.

I also think shooting a decoy should be more punishing. Make the tracking a brief but active indicator like Bloodhounds scan.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (643 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide

I agree that he needs a buff but that would make him too op idk 

Message 2 of 7 (792 Views)

★★ Expert
@SERPENT_DESCEND I kinda like the one with decoys of random legends myself, ive seen a mirage glitch on yt where people do that already anyways
Message 3 of 7 (763 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I would take 2 minor changes.......wouldn't make him OP, but would definitely bring him up a level....

1 - currently, he gets two decoys when he's in the air (off the ship or a zipline)......make that permanent

2 - random character generation of the decoys, right now seeing a decoy just gives his position away more often than not....

Message 4 of 7 (716 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

The only thing he needs to be viable is a duel action tactical. Give the man 3 mirage slots and make it so that you can deploy a mirage that appears to be shooting w/muzzle flash. Players would stop in the tracks and shoot that a lot thus bringing viability to his tactical.

Message 5 of 7 (673 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I've always wanted the idea of the control wheel addition to the tactical. I'd also add a healing (the decoy uses your currently equiped healing item) and a teammate reviving animation when they reach their destination, complete with their respective audios to really throw off an enemy.

I feel like the multi-legend decoys are unnecessary. That wouldn't make sense to Mirage's character and, with less Mirage decoys being produced, enemies would be more likely to shoot the actual Mirage tryna pull a sneaky one. Plus any legend could then run in a straight line to fool enemies.

I also think shooting a decoy should be more punishing. Make the tracking a brief but active indicator like Bloodhounds scan.

Message 6 of 7 (644 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

You know what, I just hope Mirage gets a rework. Definitely love the flash bang idea and the quip wheel where you can control what the decoy does. Hopefully the developers see these awesome ideas and rework Mirage to the Apex communities understanding. 

Message 7 of 7 (599 Views)