Re: 2nd attempt on Octane Buff

by djmitchell2001

Original Post

2nd attempt on Octane Buff

★★★★★ Novice

The last buff attempt I made was kinda overpowered and made no sense, so I want to make another one which I believe is actually perfect. Now before reading this, you have to realize that it seems op on paper but it probably is balanced in game. My focus is to make octane a mostly selfish legend that can still support his jump pad with his jump pad. Now here is my octane buff. Even though he is mostly selfish, it's still useful to the team since he'll be the best aggressive character, meaning he can overwhelm the other team by pushing fast or getting his team to push fast and you'll see what I mean with these ideas. Also I just octane to be viable or even meta in ranked.

Swift mend buff: Octane's overtime healing will now have no delays, even when taking damage. Plus an added passive to where he can hip fire while sprinting (aiming will cause him to stop running, so you can only hip fire, the reason I buffed his overtime healing is to make up for the slow regen which is 1:2 so it can help in fights as well. It isnt too fast and it isnt too slow now).

Stim Buff: Walk speed increased by 5%. Completely immune to slows (idk why but I still get slowed down by caustic's gas, Watson's fences, bang's ult, falling). Reload speed increased SLIGHTLY (not a WHOLE lot as that would be op). Costs health to use.

Ult buff: (This is where octane's team viability is kind of increased). Double jump height increased slightly. Octane and teammates who activate double jump on HIS OWN jump pad (not on another jump pad) will go way faster in the air (does the stack with movement speed abilities as it would be WAY too strong, but moving way faster in the air will let his team push a team way faster o escape faster, plus it'll make you very hard to hit in the air).

Octane's new kit:

Swift mend: Octane constantly restore health overtime and can hip fire while sprinting.

Stim: Walk speed is increased by 35%, sprint speed is increased by 40%, reload speed is increased slightly, and become immune to slows for 6 seconds. Costs health to use.

Launch pad: Deployable jump pad that launches users in the air. Press (jump button) to activate double jump. Octane and his teammates who uses his own jump pad will gain increased speed while in the air, gaining more distance and height.

Message 1 of 3 (274 Views)

★★★ Novice
@djmitchell2001 a big issue with too much selfish power is that the legend becomes annoying to play against on an individual basis. I'm an Octane main who would looooove to see him buffed, but some of this seems over the top.
I DEFINITELY think hip fire wile sprinting makes sense for him. Like if we get a second buff, which we should, that just makes sense for the character.
I don't think he should get extra reload speed, since you can already reload more easily while stimmed by running for cover.
Boosting jump pad speed is a no-brainer, they should've done it already. faster jump pad with the same arc means you'll be harder to hit in midair.
I don't think adding the extra 5% to walk speed will do much.
I think swift mend should be buffed a bit more conservatively, maybe keep it outside of combat/taking damage, but double the speed.

I also think it'd be appropriate to give him a bit more team based power. I'm a fan of boosting nearby ally movement speed while stimmed, because it'll allow the entire party to move faster and stay together. This is really the main buff I think needs to be made, because it'd allow the whole team a quicker reposition.
Message 2 of 3 (235 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I agree with the reload speed being unnecessary. The passive healing should be the same as it is now EXCEPT changed to 1:1 instead of 1:2. And instead of reload speed, maybe have it where if teammates near octane when he activates his tactical or when they touch his slipstream, they gain 20% movement speed for 6-8 seconds?

Message 3 of 3 (228 Views)