It Takes Two - Friend's Pass & FAQs

by EA_Leeloo

Original Post

It Takes Two - Friend's Pass & FAQs

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

With Friend's Pass, invite a friend to join the adventure in It Takes Two for free*.

Invite a friend to join the adventure in It Takes Two for free*, even if they don’t own the game! Because whether it’s splitting an ice cream sundae, grabbing a drink, spending the night on the couch, or going on the craziest adventure of your life – everything is better when we do it together. Also, flying through a mob of angry rodents in a plane made of underpants is 1000% more fun when you have a co-pilot.

FAQ

What is Friend's Pass?

Friend’s Pass is included It Takes Two, releasing on March 26, 2021. It allows the owner of the game to invite another person to join online co-op with them for free.

Is Friend’s Pass similar to the Free Time Trial offered with A Way Out?

Yes. There are some alterations to the implementation, but in spirit, Friend’s Pass allows you to play with a friend for free.

Can you only invite someone to play It Takes Two on the same platform or is there cross-platform play?

Friend’s Pass offers cross-gen but not cross-platform play. For example, Player 1 can be playing on PlayStation 5 and invite Player 2 on Playstation 4. But Player 1 playing on Playstation 5 cannot invite Player 2 on Xbox Series X or PC. The save system also works cross-gen.

Is Friend’s Pass available on all platforms?

Yes. Friend’s Pass is available on all platforms, with the exception of Steam, where it works slightly differently (see below).

How do friends play together online on Steam?

Unlike other platforms, Steam will not use Friend’s Pass. Instead, it will use Remote Play Together. This was also the method used on the Steam release of A Way Out.

Do both players need first-party accounts to use Friend’s Pass?

Yes, both players will need first-party accounts.

Can you play couch co-op offline?

Yes, no internet connection is required to play couch co-op.

For online play, do both players have to be online at the same time to play?

Yes.

If Player 2 (who does not own the game) decides to purchase the game for themselves, is the progression carried over onto their own Player 2 purchased version?

Yes, save progress will be carried over. In addition, if they've joined a game session and the game was saved, it will automatically unlock all chapters up until that point for the joining player. So if Player 2 purchases It Takes Two for themselves and then host a game, they would either be able to continue from their last session's save, or select any of the chapters before that save to play.

What benefits does someone who owns the game (Player 1) have over someone who is playing the game through Friend’s Pass (Player 2)?

Only someone who owns It Takes Two can host their own games. Player 2 won’t be able to play the game through their own incentive, as they don’t own it. They are dependent on playing with Player 1, or being invited by anyone else who already owns the game.

If a player who owns the game – Player 1 – invites a new friend to play with them – Player 2 – are both players forced to start from the beginning or can they both carry on from any previously attained save point?

The point where play starts is determined by Player 1's progression. Player 1 would be able to choose whether to start a new game, continue from their previous session's save, or choose from any other chapter Player 1 has unlocked.

Is the Friend's Pass a one time use code for one friend only or can the host invite new friends?

Hosts can only invite one friend at a time, but they can invite another friend once the previous friend has stopped playing.

Do I need a PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription to play online co-op with a friend on PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox Series X/S?

Yes, both players will need a PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription to play together online.

*FRIENDS JOIN ONLINE CO-OP FOR FREE.

Source: ea.com

Leeloo.png

Stay and Play.png
Message 1 of 13 (19,209 Views)

Re: It Takes Two - Friend's Pass & FAQs

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Leeloo Hi, I bought the game for PC, with the intent of playing with a friend who owns a Playstation... and then I read the FAQ. This is unfortunate that a game putting so much emphasis on co-op is not cross-platform :-( Any plan to make it cross-platform? I will get a refund otherwise.
Message 2 of 13 (18,657 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hey there @fafadesbois1,

That's a shame. Frown 

Also, thank you for your feedback though, at this point, I don't have any information on plans to make It Takes Two cross-platform. 

- Leeloo

Leeloo.png

Stay and Play.png
Message 3 of 13 (18,535 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm currently trying to play It take Two with my brother through the Xbox Gamepass on PC. We are trying to play online but it is impossible. The EA desktop app that is connected to the gamepass does not have the friend's pass so we cannot even connect. The in-game overlay that I was trying to invite him through does not work as well. Will the friend's pass ever be added to the EA desktop app? It's available through origin but EA play on Origin and the EA desktop app are separate according to the website so I'm only able to access the trial version rather than the full game which I should already own.  I just want to play the game online but it's not achievable 

Message 4 of 13 (16,656 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Close Msi afterburner and rivatuner, and this is magic - overlay will be worked

Message 5 of 13 (16,443 Views)

★★★ Newbie

this faq is differnet from the one in-game when you click on "how to use friends pass with steam", could you fix the in-game one to say it works with remote play instead of making a bunch of players waste time trying friend pass downloads and sending links and whatever else we've wasted time with

Message 6 of 13 (15,730 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the game and my friend has the friends pass. When i try to invite him it keeps giving him an error saying it's restricted and i don't know how to fix that for him. Is there anything i can do to fix this?

Message 7 of 13 (15,394 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i have the IT TAKES TWO ,i want to invite my friend ,how does he download it takes two ,where is the friend's pass ?

Message 8 of 13 (9,736 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hi,

I got a problem.

I already bought this game.

But when I invite my friend to play it by friend pass, he will be kicked immediately after finishing the first chapter.

There will be an error saying "can not connect to EA server".

Does it mean that even if i've bought this game, i can only share the first chapter with my friend unless they pay for this?

Message 9 of 13 (7,942 Views)

★★★ Newbie
So my friend has the whole game I’m using friend pass but I can’t join. I am on Xbox series S but when I join it tells me I need a game pass. Is it Xbox program or is it the game problem? And if it’s the game program, how do I fix it?
Message 10 of 13 (6,024 Views)