Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Interceptor: most selfish javelin. Needs fix.

by Affelainen

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Quote--

"lemme tell you how a good Interceptor works... a good interceptor runs into a mob and spams Dash while holding down the melee button and spamming 'Q' and 'E' abilities... its a very newbie class to play with... a total no brain skilled javelin... you dash and spam and swap targets making sure you prime and combo whatever target your interceptor has swapped to in a very target rich environment... meaning your interceptor is going wind up body blocking other peoples combos and shots naturally due to the interceptor play style..."

Correct me if my interpretation of your statement is wrong. I take the above statement as you saying that a GOOD interceptor build is a NEWB build and essentially isn't actually good. Your statement doesn't even agree with itself.

Someone else mentioned that interceptor combo damage is weak. This is not exactly true, but could be said of any javelin's combo damage. The strength of the combo,vs a single target, is dependant on damage scaling factors such as stat rolls on gear. The only javelin that stands to possibly do more combo damage is the ranger, but they too need damage rolls from their stats.

As of patch 1.04 the interceptor can rapidly detonate combos. I have discovered a way to double prime a target and then pull off 9 consecutive combos in a row with the interceptor. This technique can actually be extended to produce a never ending chain of rapid combo detonations. If the interceptor seeks out stat rolls for generic damage and combo damage, this becomes a very high damage output situation. Of course constantly detonating combos also regenerates the ultimate very quickly, resulting in the interceptor being able to up the damage even more while being immune to damage.

Message 21 of 28 (334 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Look.

i play interceptor myself.

i make sure im spamming the dash and jump keys in my rotation while i melee spam and hit my "Q" & "E" to detonate

I dont stay stationairy and I always try to move out of my teammates line of sight..

infact most of the time i just jump and dash around till i see mobs that are low and i detonate them all with a big melee combo.

it is by far the easiest javelin to play..

that does not mean its the easiest to keep alive...

either way i try not to play it often because i feel like im going to break my mouse with the relentless button smashing im doing.

it is a fun javelin to play i understand why so many players play the interceptor.

i just think the devs could do something to fix the game so the interceptor doesnt seem like the most selfish javelin out there...

so far no one has put in any constructive criticism or advice to this thread so ill put one out there...

Interceptor should reapply primers on target after detonation with melee but only be allowed to proc combos on primers that are not reapplied via self melee... that way the primers being used can be recycled and shared amongst the party...

Interceptor should have higher base melee dmg and higher base ability dmg to compensate for a change like this... that way the interceptor can just focus on attacking and killing targets rather than trying to use up other teammates primers

*the fact that it can combo off all primers unlimited times makes it pretty selfish when i have previously stated that other javelins need combos to survive while the interceptor just needs kills to sustain itself.

or the devs can remove bullet/ability clipping on friendlies altogether and keep the game mechanic as it is.

if anything im saying this problem can be fixed by buffing the interceptors non combo dmg since it doesnt have combo dmg multipliers. my interceptor does fine with out any detonators and just primers for his abilities and weapons so its more useful in grps.

unlike most interceptors that equip all combo detonators and 0 primers...

Message 22 of 28 (319 Views)

★★★★ Novice

You do realize the interceptor only has 1 detonator per skill slot? Raneri's charge for LB/Q and Sudden death for RB/E. If most interceptors, as you say, run all detonators, then they are pretty much useless as far as damage is concerned. Again, though, that isn't an issue with the interceptor, but more of an issue with the person playing the interceptor. Lack of game mechanics understanding is the real culprit here.

A person could be completely selfish with any javelin based on the criteria you listed. Any javelin can, and I often see it, equip 2 detonators. 

As described in a previous post, the interceptor can prime an already primed target and pull off 8+ combos while only consuming the acid primer that they applied with the acid grenade. The first primer remains undetonated. The interceptor player could opt to not do this and instead just detonate the first primer, but players playing other javelins often do that as well. So again it falls back to the player and lack of understanding of javelin specific mechanics.

Another item that compounds the issue is lack of communication. If everyone in the lobby were capable of communicating, and then chose to not be online jerks, there might be a chance that the players could learn to play/synergize together. Again not an issue with any specific javelin, but the players themselves.

Message 23 of 28 (311 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I play all 4 javelins but choose to main the interceptor because of how flexible it can be for any given situation. I run 2 primers and opt to single out individual targets that my teammates are struggling with. I dash in strip the mob's shields then double prime them. I may stick to the mob to combo chain it down, or I may move to another target to strip its shields. I also use ralner's blaze assault rifle to add in a third possible primer. Combos, most of the time cannot be proc'd off of the same status effect back to back. You have to completely remove the previous status effect and apply a different one. Fire primers strip ice primers, and vise versa. 

If there is another interceptor in the group, I support them when they go into their ultimate by double priming, and keeping the mob primed so that every hit they make is a combo. I don't care if I'm the one getting the combo, as long  as the target dies quickly. The truly selfish act is when someone else decides to launch a detonator at the mob, breaking the combo streak. This results in the mob staying alive way longer than it should have. I see it all the time on boss fights (monitor). People don't understand mechanics and just SPAM their abilities, which actually slows down damage to the boss.

Message 24 of 28 (308 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I'm not quite sure where you are coming from when you say other javelins need to get combos to stay alive. The only item that heals from combos is the ranger component tip of the spear that heals all nearby teammates when the ranger combos. 

There are three main issues with this. First the ranger is a ranged javelin, or should be. It doesn't make sense for a ranged character to be a healer. Secondly, game play is often too fast paced for people to be paying attention to where the ranger is to get heals, and often times no one knows or even cares if the ranger is running said component. Thirdly if a ranger is running that component, chances are they are only running it to heal themselves, and teammate heals are not a focus. There are other options to run in place of tip of the spear, like softened blows. It may not heal you, but 75% damage mitigation means you won't need as many heals.

If anything, they should have given the tip of the spear component to the interceptor and decreased the heal amount.

Message 25 of 28 (300 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@FOHDReXis wrote:

I'm not quite sure where you are coming from when you say other javelins need to get combos to stay alive. The only item that heals from combos is the ranger component tip of the spear that heals all nearby teammates when the ranger combos. 

There are three main issues with this. First the ranger is a ranged javelin, or should be. It doesn't make sense for a ranged character to be a healer. Secondly, game play is often too fast paced for people to be paying attention to where the ranger is to get heals, and often times no one knows or even cares if the ranger is running said component. Thirdly if a ranger is running that component, chances are they are only running it to heal themselves, and teammate heals are not a focus. There are other options to run in place of tip of the spear, like softened blows. It may not heal you, but 75% damage mitigation means you won't need as many heals.

If anything, they should have given the tip of the spear component to the interceptor and decreased the heal amount.

You my friend obviously have no idea how the ranger should be played, its in the middle of battle, since it gets shields from melee hits, and heals all nearby javelins on combos and still setting the target up for taking the most damage, thats how you play the ranger, not from far away. And if you dont understand the importance of groupheals in gm3 you shouldnt be there. The only other classes that can heal are colossus and interceptor, the colossi needs either the gear or the component to heal on hit or meleekill wich is why the colossus wants to meleecombo large packs, to stay up. Interceptor also only gets heals from kills, leaving the storm pretty vulnerable wich is where the ranger comes into play. if people go low, he can instacombo for group heal, also on hard targets he should combo since he does the most singletarget damage of all if he has the right inscriptions. The interceptor is a class that should focus on stragglers, mobs that leave the group and have low hp, quick finish - he is after all an assasin and keeps himself alive by killing stuff, the big groups is for the colossus, jump right in either pop a battle cry or shield pulse depending on group playstyle ofc then just smash away to its hearts content to finish of the group. I know the interceptor can detonate quickly in rapid succesion but its still not even close to the amount of dmg the ranger does, one combo from the ranger takes alot more hp that the intercepter hacking away on the biggest target there is, he is just in the way for proper comboing, i give him his ulti wich should be up ready at all times because of the fast proccing and used correctly its a very good javelin, but as op states, most players think its about killing stuff, when its about dynamic group combos for the correct situations. This is why everyone hates interceptors because for every 10 you encounter 2 of them can actually play it.

simple as that.

Message 26 of 28 (249 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@DERPERPADERP Once the cataclysm hits, the interceptor should be less selfish. I believe that they will have an ability to revive with their support ability, and should have primer melee which would stop that combo detonation. It should hopefully provide different playstyles for the javelin. Standard smile
Message 27 of 28 (131 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Heh...I thought the the Intercepter's strength was to give.  I spread as much poison on the field as I can.  Melee to close out Target and Radiant fortress to heal some shields.  Both abilities are poison based.

Support skill adds some debuff to enemies High Ultimate rate to close out high priced targets.  

I am a tanky intercepter so I pick up downed teammates in the middle of enemy fire and on top of that I get there first.

As far as roles, Ranger IMO, is the best frontline guy.  I wish the Ranger had a Battle Cry.  Melee heals shield, combos recoup armor, blast multi targets recoups armor, and you have Wolverine.  Sorry, don't mean to derail the topic further

Message 28 of 28 (86 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help