Re: Best characters in each class, plz share opinion!

by globallarry

Original Post

★ Guide

This is way late but here it is:

Zombies

Soldier - Foot Soldier (He does 1 more damage than the Sky Trooper -AND- he has a bigger magazine. Also if you play semi-automatically, Foot Soldier turns out to be menacingly mean and accurate. Park Ranger is deadly, but only if the player isn't aware that the Park Ranger has lower damage than most so long as you don't sit in the fart cloud =/ But Foot Soldier is my go-to guy. He really is. He's so accurate it's unbelieveable, and you better bet that if you've upgraded his damage and magazine, you can miss like 10 shots and still get your kill.)

Engineer - AC Perry (I don't have to tell you that the painter can vanquish unsuspecting plants in 2-3 hits if they don't move. But AC Perry CAN, FROM LONG RANGE, freeze you, your buddy and HIS friend in place rather quickly, and with a reload upgrade, finish you off from quite a ways away. Up close he's even more annoying because he can just shoot the ground and ride the jackhammer until you stop moving, then pelt you in the face until it's over.)

Scientist - Chemist/AstronautAnd here's why!!! (The Astronaut, when upgraded, can dish out LUDICROUS amounts of damage for a skilled player Like he can, at long range... destroy a peel shield in about 4-5 shots and over the count of 6-10 shots depending on accuracy, make the Citron cry babies.. But a Scientist isn't offensively played for the most part... though many see him as that way. Playing from Gw1 and beyond I full well know how mean the Chemist can be... but he's a beautiful defensive player! If you have a Heal Station behind a wall, there's always a sneaky Pea or some * who's gonna try to bomb it by coming along the side of your cover!! Chemist's Bar-None defense makes punishing 2-3 people even, not hard at all simply by anticipating where they are coming from and sweeping them from the side. Warping around heal stations or throwing heal bombs to warp to are proficient strategy to.. Warp Vanquishing is good stuff, but it makes you enemies who make healing a hassle. If someone Warp Vanquishes me with Zoologist, I purposely hide in a hill with Frozen citron to make their lives and gameplay horribly boring. Plus... you focus less on keeping friends in the fight and selfishly healing yourself!)

^--- Sorry 'bout wall of opinion.

All Star - Cricket Star (Suppression fire + Fire Damage over time is very mean. Stock All Star (The Default one) is incredibly powerful at close range, but the Cricket Star can really make life hard, especially if Tackle Dummy knowledge is good and the All Star knows how to "Shoot from the right" (Putting your weapon barrel right on the side of the dummy while your hit box remains behind cover, allowing you to essentially fire without being hit back))

Imp - All of them/Z7 Imp (Z7 Imp has fully semi-automatic firing capability. When his damage is upgraded, you can actually Gravity Grenade a Torch Wood and with incredibly finger blasting, explode his life in under 3 seconds... which I've done.)

Mech - S.H.R.imp Mech  (All mechs are good. ALL OF THE MECHS ARE GREAT!!! Just like the imps themselves... but S.H.R.imp Mech has capability to rocket jump which launches you into the air, then makes you scream forward with great speed. I have used this in Seeds of Time to jump into the Castle on the final point before while standing on the planters in the Drawbridge area. It causes great confusion, and his ability to escape huge groups surpasses other mechs I feel. That Laser also has incredible hit box capability.)

Super Brainz - Toxic Brainz (This is key... Super Brainz is special in so many ways. He's slow. He's dopey. He's got... that slackjawed expression... and he always finds himself flexing in a mirror at inopportune times... but he's absolutely sneaky. Toxic Brainz is the legendary varient of Super Brainz, and while I usually do not like playing Legendaries since they are gimped on damage (Though not by much) outside of their legendary Mode, Toxic Brainz can actually hit his legendary in like 8 punches. What's more, he can charge these punches on AI plants! But the real reason I pick him is because when I'm getting rolled over by people who really stick together and have great aiming ability, you can sneak behind them by going an alternate route, heroic kick right on top of them and lay waste to them. If you back attack a group of 3 and deal nothing but punch damage, you will find yourself hitting legendary mode and 2 shotting Citrons :P... it's really not as easy as all of that either lol. Super Brainz has steep learn curve)

Captain Deadbeard..... - Captain Deadbeard (What can I say about Deadbeard... our version of Cactus? Well, I can say that according to this DPS spreadsheet, all of his variants deal less damage than most of the cactuses. Apparently Deadbeard (The top damage) can get up to 77 dps , Future cactus (Plant top) can pull out 112. Also, Deadbeard is not allowed to have a variant parrot that I'm aware of, which makes me feel that he is a loser and EA didn't even like him.

But I like him.

Captain Deadbeard's projectile is nearly invisible. He shoots coins man! That's pro. And his barrel technique is incredible. I've had people look right at me and not even realize I wasn't a prop. He also comes with cool Shotgun style defensive capability. And this, which you may not know, is a free tip I'm going to give you. If you rapidly zoom in and out with dead beard while firing, you will increase his firing speed and utterly destroy anyone who gets in your face so long as you land the ranged shot while you're doing it. Tapping zoom will reset his shot timers for both guns. Try it out. He's not as bad as I make him seem up there with the DPS talk)

Hovergoat 3000 - Burger Goat (No jk. I like Hovergoat more than Hovergoat 2000. Heck even legit Hovergoat 1000. Hovergoat 3000 came equipped with incredible beatbox technology, but gimme the original Hovergoat model to the 3000 and I'll be happy.)

-----------------------

I don't play plants that often so I don't have much to say here, but here we go

Peashooter - Law Pea/Agent Pea/Peashooter/Toxic Pea/Electro Pea (Law Pea can 1 shot people if you can accurately land all 6 head shots. In under 1.5 secs. Agent Pea can do the same with much more leeway, but his crits do more damage but his body shots do less than law, meaning law can still 1 shot a SCIENTIST in 1.5 secs with all 6 shots non-crit, but Agent Pea will have to do it in like 2-4 secs. BASIC STOCK PEASHOOTER IS BAD TO THE BONE!!! Nobody expects it most of the time, and landing direct shots can actually startle and panic good players due to unfamiliarity with the pea, the sound it makes, the graphic, and the fact that you're not some special colored pea. Toxic Pea is my splash damage baby, and Electro Pea moves quicker than all of the other Pea's. He seems to have trouble hitting people right in front of him if you are playing detonation style tactic.)

Sunflower - Fire Flower (I like the Fire Flower. You can intimidate people by landing hits and hiding then doing it again because she's so accurate. And some people see a flower and will come out of cover to their own detriment, allowing you to score that sweet free 30 damage over time smack to their face over and over. I've been experimenting with the Mystic Flower though and noticed that her damage is kind of really... really.... good. Confused Like I'll go close range which I don't usually do with healers just to snag someone in the head over and over with Mystic Flowers Semi Automatic face pounding dps.)

Chomper - Swamp Thing/Yeti (I used to play Hot Rod chomp exclusively, GW 1 trained me this way. :P But after the Super Mix mode where I was forced to play Swamp thing and I got to see that he regenerated his health almost right after he was struck, I fell in love. I am a very sneaky Chomper, I've played Tf2 way too much and mastered the art of playing Spy. Hiding and healing is one of Chompers best tactics. Burrowing and regenerating health is something I've done with all chompers, but when I saw chomp thing regenerate like 70 health underground, I lost it...

.... However...

I've recently begun using Yeti Chomper. While I was confused about how to play him at first, it turns out that he has infinite ammo. A projectile Arc. And increased range if jumping while throwing up. Couple this with the fact that it crits on direct hits, deals splash damage, SLOWS THE ENEMY DOWN, and I still have access to goop abilities and burrowing/spikeweeds... heh, Yeti Chomper is pretty good. Personally though... I feel all chompers perform the same except Yeti so far.. Confused  And at this rate Yeti may take 1st place for chomper luv.)

Cactus - Where do I start?/Cactus (I stopped playing cactus after they removed the ability to fly yourself onto roof tops. I was very professional with it in GW1 and could move at top speed without dropping myself. When I got GW2 and found I couldn't fly around anymore with my Tallnut Helipad technique..... I was Heartbroken. D: Pretty much quit playing Cactus all together. I use BASIC CACTUS. She shoots fast, deals 30+ on critical strikes, the bullets are hard to see where they come from, she's not easy to spot if you can blend in with environment and her reload isn't too bad either. The problem with Cactus and Deadbeard however, is that they make enemies run away. And someone like me is almost always first to shoot, which causes them to scatter. This is why I am a bad cactus. Good cactus steals kills with final 1-2 shots :P Not start engaging and force enemies to take cover, thereby essentially forcing defensive play)

Citron - No comment (He's good no matter what if played right. I play all versions of Citron. I use Frozen Citron to be annoying. I use Normal Citron to punish enemies with incredible DPS. I kinda don't play Toxic Citron because his firing sound is a little annoying, which is odd because I can listen to Frost Citron all day long... When I get Iron Citron, I may make reconsiderations on a possible favorite.)

Rose - Rose (Basic Rose hits very Hard. She may seem dainty and easy to counter, but Timing really is everything on this game. As long as you aren't just THROWING your slow spell and your sheep spell out just to use it or make someone wish you hadn't while they were fighting someone else, you will have them when you need them the most.  It is actually possible to stay far back and just spam (Shoot endlessly) onto a capturing point and force enemies to back off since her attack has small splash. The slow projectile speeds also come in handy as you can begin firing and get a few hits in before people realize they're getting fired on because you got so many shots off before the first one connected!! If she weren't so slow I would like her more, and if she could reload during Arcane Enigma, I would call her overpowered. She's also weirdly shaped! I've noticed myself shooting at her body and the bullets sliding right past her. Like her hit box is seriously only her head Frown

... However....

It only takes a few good shots with Pirate or with a Foot Soldier to make them run and hide. Because they's dainty flowers.)

Kernel Corn - Default Corn (I play default. Mainly because they are balanced, and the other trick variants just seem to lose out on flat-out damage in exchange for some gimmicky treat! BBQ Corn has far less ammo and deals half the damage in exchange for what... a non stackable fire DoT? << >> Yargh man...Kernel Corn does A LOT of damage. He also shoots with both hands, with makes "shooting from the right" (hugging cover and having your barrel fire from the side of the wall) almost impossible. Kernel Corn is my favorite plant. I don't have much to say simply because he says it all himself. He's crazy, and if you can aim, he can drop targets in 2 seconds MAYBE FASTER!!!! Just lay into their heads!)

Torch Wood - Tree People (I prefer the Torchwood with the club on his hand? The one that can target you then run straight to you then smack you and make you jump back? Yeah I play him instead of normal Torchwood. Mainly because he makes Caveman sounds when he vanquishes and he can wear hats.)

And that's it! Thanks for letting me give this probably dead topic some much needed wall of opinion!

Message 31 of 48 (3,901 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I've been looking at this topic for awhile but have refrained from answering since I don't particularly have a favorite variant from each class but since I've recently Mastered all of the characters in the game and I'm not distracted by feeling compelled to level everyone up any longer I've noticed some clear favorites have popped up now that I feel free to play whatever I want again.

PLANTS

Peashooter: If I'm playing Ops I go for the Electro Pea hands down due to the massive crowd control ability, but for Multiplayer I prefer the accuracy of the Law Pea or Agent Pea.

Sunflower: For Ops it's usually Vampire Flower or Stuffy Flower and for multiplayer I'm partial to the Fire Flower or Dark Flower.

Cactus: I tend to gravitate towards the Fire Cactus or Ice Cactus.

Chomper: For a Biting Chomper I go for the Hod Rod, and occasionally the Unicorn Chomper and my favorite Spray Chomper is probably the Fire Chomper.

Citron: I prefer the Frozen Citron or Toxic Citron depending on whether or not I want the Beam style weapon.

Kernal Corn: Commando Corn or Party Corn will tend to get my time.

Rose: My favorite Rose is Toxic Rose with Party Rose following up a close second.

ZOMBIES

Imp: Party Imp is my favorite because of his Party Time sound track but I also like the Scallywag Imp because his Z-Mech has one of the longer timers.

Foot Soldier: I'll gravitate towards the Arctic Trooper or General Supremo.

Engineer: Roadie Z is by far my favorite Engineer.

All Star: I like the Rugby Star for his explosive rounds but also the Moto-X Star for locking out the special abilities of the Plants.

Scientist: I like the Chemist for the broad sweep of his Chemical Beaker Blaster but if I need range I'd probably go with the Astronaut.

Super Brainz: For close up work I prefer Toxic Brainz while Cozmic Brainz is my pick when I need range.

Pirate: Tough call but Captain Sharkbite is probably my favorite for sniping but if I need someone better at close range I'll go with Captain Squawk.

Message 32 of 48 (3,895 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'll join in, too.  There are several character classes that I hardly play (yet) and I will note those.  Many of these choices are difficult as I often have more than one favorite with classes I play frequently. I'm only a medium skilled player, and many of my choices reflect how forgiving the characters are with my abilities, how effective I can be with them.  But others are because of how fun I find the variant to be to play. 

Also, for many months I was one of those players who only liked to play plants.  I only took to zombies when the Spooky Squash boss hunt occurred.  Since then, I've developed a lot more skill with some of them, but I still lag behind compared with plants.  With the exception of the Sunflower class, at which I'm very good, I suspect you can see a thread running through my choices of how forgiving the character is to poor accuracy.

Often my choice of character will vary a lot depending on whether I'm playing ops or multiplayer.

PLANTS

Peashooter: Electro Pea, but I will only use him in multiplayer if my team is getting trashed.  I like all the splash variants, perhaps toxic is favorite.

Sunflower: I've mastered all but two (Metal Petal and Mystic Flower).  Vampire Flower is by far my main, but Alien Flower is really fun.

Cactus:  Default Cactus.  I suck at playing cactus.

Chomper: This is another class I don't play much.  Disco Chomper is the most fun but I'm hoping to get skilled at Hot Rod along the way.

Citron:  IRON CITRON!  i also love playing Toxic Citron, heck they're all fun and effective.

Corn: Commando Corn, followed by Default Corn

Rose: Default Rose

ZOMBIES

Imp: S.H.R.I.M.P.  Scallywag Imp is super fun but not so effective for me.

Soldier:  A class I haven't done much with.  I use Default or Scuba, and will get around to playing the soldier class more soon.

Engineer:  Another class I haven't developed much.  Roadie Z is my favorite.

All-Star: The first zombie class I got used to.  I've only worked through a few variants.  I do best with Cricket Star, but I'm levelling up Goalie Star right now, and he's getting pretty darned effective with the ice upgrade.

Super Hero: Toxic Brainz.  I don't really care for playing this class but Toxic is the most fun and effective for me.

Pirate: I've barely played him at all, no preference worth noting.

Scientist: Computer Scientist.  Before I got him, Chemist was my go-to.  Computer Scientist seems like a direct upgrade from Chemist to me, with a bit more range thrown in.

Message 33 of 48 (3,887 Views)

★★★ Novice

IN my opinion, fire chomped is better because of the spray and fire damage, and the extra health

Message 34 of 48 (3,854 Views)

★★★ Novice

Some of these are hard, and some are pretty easy, but for zombies I would say:

Scientist: Zoologist

All Star: Tennis star

Engineer: Welder

Soldier: Scuba/Frozen/Park Ranger

Super Brainz: Electro Brainz

Captain: Sharkbite

Imp: Lil Drake

And for plants:

Chomper: Fire

Sunflower: Stuffy/Vamp

Peashooter: Toxic

Cactus: Future/Zen

Rose: Fire

Corn: Commando

Citron: Ice/Electric

My fav on both sides:

Commando Corn

Zoologist

Message 35 of 48 (3,854 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Plants

Please note I do not have all characters listed.

My favorite is Toxic pea, he can easily rank up (I got him to super elite in less than two weeks(now he has been max for awhile) and can over all be assist master easily.

Citron: frozen citron

Rose: druid rose

Kernel Corn: bbq corn

Sun flower: vampire flower

Peashooter: toxic pea (duh)

Chomper: hot rod chomper

Cactus: I dunno, I haven't really used it much/at all.

Zombies

No favorite. (I don't play as zombies much.)

Imp: z7 imp

Super brainz: toxic brainz

Captain deadbeard: captain sharkbite

Engineer: ac perry

Foot solider: artic trooper

Scientist: marine biologist

All-star: tennis star

Hope this helps.
Message 36 of 48 (3,519 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nec rose (good team player)

BBQ corn (stronger normal corn and use fire to track enemy movements)

frozen citron (stronger normal citron)

fire pea/agent pea (fun!0

power flower (funny name and good rapid chain on)

hot rod chomper (easy escape)

camo cactus (range is to good0

lil drake (good mech and use dash and detonate on zone)

super brainz (power punches are to good)

captain squawk (good range and toxic lets you track victims once shot)

general supremo (3 rapid 5 me)

zoo-ologist (only close shots so encourages healing)

welder (powerful)

cricket star (sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good best character)

Message 37 of 48 (3,505 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I may as well share my opinion on this, despite the fact that I only have around 3 characters per class (except Scientist, I have about 6 of them)

• Citron: Ice Citron
  • Rose: regular
  • Corn: regular or Pops
  • Pea: Plasma (first character I've mastered)
  • Chomper: Yeti or Armour
  • Flower: Shadow (but I remember liking Metal Petal in the first game)
  • Cactus: regular (but the only other one I've unlocked is the Bandit and it's bad)
  • Imp: Lil' Drake
  • Pirate: Sharkbite
  • Super Brains: regular (I don't have any others)
  • Soldier: Centurion or regular
  • Engineer: Landscaper(?)
  • Scientist: Chemist
  • All Star: Hockey Star (second character I mastered)
Message 38 of 48 (3,360 Views)

★★★ Novice

Team Plants:

Peashooter: Toxic Pea/Plasma Pea

Sunflower: Power Flower/Mystic Flower

Chomper: Fire Chomper/Power Chomper

Cactus: Future Cactus/Fire Cactus

Team Zombies:

Foot Soldier: General Supremo/ArcticTrooper

Engineer: Plumber/Electrician

Scientist: Marine Biologist/Astronaut

All Star: Cricket Star/Goalie Star

Message 39 of 48 (2,178 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Depends on the map and characters you are competing against. 

A player should be able to dominate with a master level character, if they select appropriately, based on the competition.

I enjoy hunting players who always play the same character, forcing them to quit  or change characters. Occasionally, there is a spammer or cheater who  you won't dominate.

Everyone thinks they have it figured out, until proven otherwise.

Message 40 of 48 (2,336 Views)