Re: 10 years later: your favorite Spore memories

by Anam_Liath

Original Post

10 years later: your favorite Spore memories

★ Guide

So we are approaching the Spore's 10 year anniversary date by now. If you're still around, it's because there is something in this game that you love, right?

I mean, we all know Spore is not a perfect game, and it would never be. But it's a special game to us, after all, and I want to hear more about why it's special for you. So today I want you to tell me your favorite in-game memory. What is it? That moment you knew Spore was a special game that you would love for years to come?

Let me start with my own moment: I was playing for the first time, it was late and I didn't had class because around here the game was released on Sept. 5th and Sept. 7th is a holiday.  So I had a three-day weekend to play Spore, and I was heading to the Space stage for the first time. My favorite memory from Spore is when my ship finally went out of my planet, and I could see the galaxy. I was blown away, really. “All of that”. It was an magic journey. It's like the game opened itself for my creature, and I could not stop saying “wow”. I remember I was talking to my friends on MSN Messenger (it was a thing back in 2008), we were all playing Spore that night (it was almost morning by then) and, you can't imagine when I said “guys, I'm in space”. I was out of breath somehow. It was beautiful when the Galaxy theme finally played.

I think that moment is my favorite in the game until today. I love when I'm leaving my home planet. Spore really knows how massive a change that is. It's like a completely new game that I could play **forever**! I had my problems with Tribal and Civilisation stage, but I will never forget how much I loved when my planet started to get small, and I could see the stars, and then I could go to them.

And you? What is your favorite memory from these past ten years playing Spore? What a beautiful surprise the game made to you?

Message 1 of 4 (981 Views)

★★ Novice

probably the game not being dead

Message 2 of 4 (966 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I remember when I played Spore for the first time ... I played in 2013 so I was already at the end of this incredible game. Even today whenever I play Spore, I open my mind to all my creativity, it's something magical and that unfortunately has not been continued ... All of us who still play Spore, is why we really have a feeling in particular for this game, even in times where great games with awesome graphics, our heart will always have a place reserved for Spore. Sometimes I get really sad, because this incredible game has not been used, have no won a decent return. More is that phrase, Spore will never die while we, players that even with the biggest blogs of Spore closed, without updates and without continuation, we are here next to a game that for each one of us, was special of some form.
Spore will always be my favorite game. Right now I started my new campaign to play with a new breed.
Spore will be forever as we remember him.

Message 3 of 4 (904 Views)

★ Apprentice

I think that first play-through was pretty much breathtaking. I couldn't believe how easy world creation was, and the graphics were really stunning. As a system developer, I was blown away by many things, not least the open world and how it was optional to advance in the game, and ANIMATION. My gods I was amazed that you could scale things insanely, add any number of legs, including odd numbers, and the thing still animated. Don't get me wrong, there are things I'd have loved to improve, including front leg angulation, and adding a true trot, but for the most part I was, and still am, delighted.

I think the thing that really took my breath away happened after I'd been playing a year or so. I had this creature that was a white lion with gold leopard spots on one of the very intense blue-green doughnut planets. One night (in game) my creature, and the rogues following it, came to rest on top or a hill overlooking ocean to the horizon. As the two moons rose in the intense, Maxfield Parrish sky, a mourning dove started to call. It happened a few times. I was just struck by the beauty of the world, of my creations, and the creations of others that had come into my game.

Before that, I think it was less the game, than the community. There were too many wonderful people to list, including people who['ve passed on, people who became and still are friends IRL, and the ones I can only remember by their creations in my sporpedia. Spore was great for building bonds across ages and value systems. I had spore friends who were much younger and older than me, of all faiths and none. The sporum was a heady, sometimes lawless romp that lasted many years. I was lucky to start with the game from inception, and the sporum shortly after that. I love the friends I've kept, the creations I made, and most of all cherish that chaotic whirlwind that was the sporum.

Emitcones forever!

vertel10.png

Message 4 of 4 (877 Views)