tap strafe macro?

by Bigtwotime2x

Original Post

tap strafe macro?

★★★ Newbie

So as Apex will be removing tap strafing by un allowing you to bind W to scroll wheel on M+K I was curious as to why using a macro to press W a few times would work. It will as will just spamming W while doing an air strafe. Is this allowed? I feel like it should be as its not really harming the game. I wouldn't be using a macro for single fire no recoil (which you can do by jitter aiming or single fire and adding scroll wheel to shoot already) it would just save me spamming W in the air. This seems like something that respawn should allow as they haven't directly removed tap strafing but they have just made it more inaccessible (funny as that was their main issue initially) Can someone from EA or Respawn confirm or deny that using a macro to spam W is allowed? IMO it should be and tap strafe should come back as well. Thanks, 

Message 1 of 11 (4,790 Views)

Re: tap strafe macro?

Community Manager

Hey @Bigtwotime2x,

A good general rule of thumb for this type of thing would be one keypress = one action. Having a macro perform multiple actions (multiple W inputs) with a single keypress would not be allowed, so I'd definitely avoid things of that nature. 

Mako.png
Message 2 of 11 (4,776 Views)

★★★ Newbie

okok but if I can do it by spamming W using my own hands then its ok??

Message 3 of 11 (4,765 Views)

Champion
@Bigtwotime2x I'm fairly certain they are removing the mechanic altogether.
Message 4 of 11 (4,758 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Nah in the patch notes today they have stopped you from binding w to scroll wheel 

Message 5 of 11 (4,750 Views)

@Bigtwotime2x That would be stupid unless they have completely removed the option to bind movement keys to a different button. Otherwise, anyone could simply set up their gaming mouse to have a scroll wheel set to the F key, for example, and then have F as an alternative for W in game.

The scroll wheel is a problem for a lot of reasons, same as controllers with autofire features.
Message 6 of 11 (4,737 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thats why I am wondering if you can do that, that way you can still tap strafe lol. Look in the patch notes that's how they fixed it

Message 7 of 11 (4,730 Views)

@Bigtwotime2x I'm not encouraging you to do it, btw. They have effectively classed it as "forbidden fruit," i.e. an exploit, so a simple video of your character doing it could be enough for a ban. Be careful. Be safe. Peace out. Lol.
Message 8 of 11 (4,725 Views)

Champion
@Bigtwotime2x No it says they removed the ability to spam movement buttons quickly. This means you will not be able to do what you are saying.
Message 9 of 11 (4,715 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Bigtwotime2xNo, they also nerfed the sharp turns above 90 degrees

And I wonder what the PC community has come to. Openly asking to allow macros, that is literally cheating. Spam your buttons on your own!!

@LaughingSharko they didn't take the time to figure out scroll wheel shooting or looting or even jitter aiming. 

Message 10 of 11 (4,681 Views)