Re: so lets talk about the marketplace for a second...

by Anlbrd

Original Post

so lets talk about the marketplace for a second...

★ Apprentice

alright i know its no secret this game has its issues, but i think there something were all missing here. what in the world is going on with the pricing for, well all the skins. For example, the featured weapons skins, or just Legendary in general, all seem to cost just about 20 USD which is the same cost as a Legend-Legendary skin. its just not right.

What i propose is that legendary and epic skins(weapons) come down in cost considering there are so many, and more to come soon im sure. personally i don't mind putting money down on this game. i already have the battle pass. but if im going to spend any apex coins i'd at least like to be able to buy more than just one thing. the salvage we get from the lootboxes are ok but rarely ever substantial to get u into a good skin. i mean, if u look good u feel good right?

Message 1 of 8 (374 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

What is not right about it?  If that is the best pricing strategy for Respawn to make the most money, well it's perfect!  That's business 101!  I have hundreds invested in skins now.  I do agree that it's expensive compared to other titles but nobody forced me to spend my money, yet I did.  If the cost is too high for you then don't buy it.  Why you expect them to lower the price because you think its expensive is baffling to me.  Pay for it if you like it and think it's worth it.  Don't buy it if you don't think it's worth it.  If the free market agrees with you the price will drop, if they don't, well expect to pay what there asking.  Not knocking your opinion, I actually agree its a very expensive game to hold a lot of skins.  But I don't blame Respawn for baking in a system that allows them profit.  Would I rather pay $69 and get it all, yes, but that's not their business model.  Do you complain when paying for gas?  How about when you go to a store and by some cloths?  Do you tell them on their forums how to price their jeans?  Nope, you buy them or you buy the competitions.  Free market my man, this is not unique to Apex. 

Message 2 of 8 (362 Views)

★ Guide

@DavidW74 wrote:

What is not right about it?  If that is the best pricing strategy for Respawn to make the most money, well it's perfect!  That's business 101!  I have hundreds invested in skins now.  I do agree that it's expensive compared to other titles but nobody forced me to spend my money, yet I did.  If the cost is too high for you then don't buy it.  Why you expect them to lower the price because you think its expensive is baffling to me.  Pay for it if you like it and think it's worth it.  Don't buy it if you don't think it's worth it.  If the free market agrees with you the price will drop, if they don't, well expect to pay what there asking.  Not knocking your opinion, I actually agree its a very expensive game to hold a lot of skins.  But I don't blame Respawn for baking in a system that allows them profit.  Would I rather pay $69 and get it all, yes, but that's not their business model.  Do you complain when paying for gas?  How about when you go to a store and by some cloths?  Do you tell them on their forums how to price their jeans?  Nope, you buy them or you buy the competitions.  Free market my man, this is not unique to Apex. 

Can this post get more XP like right now please!

Message 3 of 8 (313 Views)

Champion

You're literally just paying for the luxury of not having to grind your way to a skin. 

There is no impact on gameplay so if they want to charge that much for skins leave them to it, just as i say the same about any player willing to pay for them lol

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 8 (300 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I don't care how much they charge for fluff, I don't buy fluff.  I did support the game so far buying the first BP but I could have been fine being a totally F2P player.  As it goes as long as you finish the BP each season you will never need to buy it again so that is right up my alley. 

I plan on supporting the game more when netcode is improved and cheating becomes less noticeable also by the way.   I prefer good gameplay over cosmetics and thus any money I throw at a game is due to the gameplay.

I get that people like to dress up their legends and weapons but i don;t feel sorry for the price they have to pay to do it.  

Message 5 of 8 (287 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

They probably know better than me but from where I'm sitting I think they'd make a lot more money if they charged a lot less for the skins in the shop.

Message 6 of 8 (251 Views)

★★ Expert

Does't every other BR game charge $20 for a rare/legend skin? I mean they could bring it down to 15 maybe 10 but still. Everyone else prices it at that, why shouldn't they.

Message 7 of 8 (240 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@iBlockHeadI'd say if they want to make this cosmetics thing a good source of money - create a shop with a huge menu of cosmetics, possibly even a colour pallet where players could 'make' their own skins (Choosing panel colours from a large number of presets) and charge a lot less for the skins, without limiting access to when people could buy the vast majority of them.

Create things like skins for grenades, skins for caustics variable, skins for paths zip poles.

This thing of creating fewer skins and charging more for them isn't carrying the day with players like me who have been actively looking to spend money on things to support the game. I'll never buy any of the skins available so far because the art style on them is * AWFUL. They almost all look like cheap, plastic, made-in-china toy guns.

If they'd given me the ability to choose "Main colour #1, main colour #2, accent colour #1, accent colour #2" on the default skin for characters/guns - I would have probably done this for all characters and weapons by now to create my own colour scheme and support the game a bit. Not at 20bucks a pop, but charging a couple of dollars for this sort of thing would have probably had them a couple of hundred dollars from me by now, a little at a time, instead of the 20-30 dollars or whatever its been for the battlepasses :S

[edit] - If we know anything about EA it's that they're very good at driving for a solid bottom-line, so their model is very probably working VERY well for them, but it's a missed opportunity with people like me to not have a system like the above.  I'm likely in a minority though, and the shop is about making money so fair enough.

Message 8 of 8 (225 Views)