"Six years in the making"

by IntlGJournal

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

"Six years in the making"

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I've read a number of complaints about this game and many of them refer to a claim that the game has been under development for six years. Anyone who's played Anthem for any length of time can tell you that this has got to be an exaggeration or just a flat out lie. No rational person could believe that a triple-A studio could spend six years and wind up with this as the result.The bugs, the lack of content, the limited gameplay options, it's just not possible, and I suspect it's just part of the anti-EA mythology.

So I ask, can anyone actually produce a citation to any source where EA or BioWare actually states that this game has been in development for six years?? I'm guessing no.

Message 1 of 12 (462 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

Re: "Six years in the making"

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@InfiniteSD wrote:
The actual quote is:

"began as “an idea” as early as five years ago."

Notice no mention of development time. There is no way they have spent 6 years on this game.

Lemme do the math. The gamingbolt article was written in 2017. Back then it was an "idea as early as five years ago". My math says -5 years, so its year 2012 we live in; regarding the statement (and the article).

Now we live in year 2019. To me it seems that the idea that became a reality and an actual product -- it took 7 years. Am I right or wrong?

BTW. I have no idea when they actually started to develop the game.

And if you question me, YES, Anthem was released on February 22, 2019

sshot-1.png

Edit: Wiki says

"Development of the game started in 2012, immediately after the release of Mass Effect 3, under the supervision of Casey Hudson, the executive producer of the original Mass Effecttrilogy.[7] Although Hudson left BioWare in 2014, the development on Anthem continued[7] until he returned as both the project lead and the new studio head in 2017.[8] Prior to the announcement of the game's final title, the project was codenamed "Dylan" internally by BioWare.[9]"

So, to my understanding, development starts from the mind and the idea. The coding/algorithm and all other complex stuff comes later...? In this mindset, I can fit 6 years to 7 years. But again: I don't have an idea when the actual coding work started. It might be 7, 6, 5 years ago, or 3 or 2 and so on.... I have no idea.

View in thread

Message 9 of 12 (344 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

★★★ Guide
Message 2 of 12 (456 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

It's the, “We’ve been working on it for, as an idea, it’s been close to around about five years now.” that makes me wonder how long it's been in actual development, not just concept.

Message 3 of 12 (442 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
The actual quote is:

Notice no mention of development time. There is no way they have spent 6 years on this game.
Message 4 of 12 (438 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
I know exactly where you can find a direct quoted statement from Bioware. However, I would not even think about robbing you of the joyous feelings associated with learning something new. Especially not when you've already started to suspect that it's part of an "anti-EA mythology".
Message 5 of 12 (406 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

The thing is having an idea for a game and developing a game are different. Maybe 6 years ago they had this concept and than start spitballing ideas. After a year or 2 of theory and debate on whether it's possible, the resources needed, and the assembling of the team leaves the game in development stage for maybe 3 years. Which is not that long.

It could also be they started making a game 6 years ago, scrapped it 2 to 3 years in and used parts to start anthem.

It's not cut and dry as many think.

Message 6 of 12 (400 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

Given the game's current state, and that it was shown off at E3 in one state, and delivered in another that is abjectly worse, I think there must have been like a year or two of rewrites

But I dont get ppl that bring up that number. A dev cycle THAT long just makes me think there were likely massive problems in said development cycle if this is what we got out of that

Message 7 of 12 (398 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

3 months is my guess.

Message 8 of 12 (382 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@InfiniteSD wrote:
The actual quote is:

Lemme do the math. The gamingbolt article was written in 2017. Back then it was an "idea as early as five years ago". My math says -5 years, so its year 2012 we live in; regarding the statement (and the article).

Now we live in year 2019. To me it seems that the idea that became a reality and an actual product -- it took 7 years. Am I right or wrong?

BTW. I have no idea when they actually started to develop the game.

And if you question me, YES, Anthem was released on February 22, 2019

sshot-1.png

Edit: Wiki says

"Development of the game started in 2012, immediately after the release of Mass Effect 3, under the supervision of Casey Hudson, the executive producer of the original Mass Effecttrilogy.[7] Although Hudson left BioWare in 2014, the development on Anthem continued[7] until he returned as both the project lead and the new studio head in 2017.[8] Prior to the announcement of the game's final title, the project was codenamed "Dylan" internally by BioWare.[9]"

So, to my understanding, development starts from the mind and the idea. The coding/algorithm and all other complex stuff comes later...? In this mindset, I can fit 6 years to 7 years. But again: I don't have an idea when the actual coding work started. It might be 7, 6, 5 years ago, or 3 or 2 and so on.... I have no idea.

Message 9 of 12 (345 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

@IVPhoenixIX wrote:
I know exactly where you can find a direct quoted statement from Bioware. However, I would not even think about robbing you of the joyous feelings associated with learning something new. Especially not when you've already started to suspect that it's part of an "anti-EA mythology".

Just curious, do you doubt that there is an anti-EA mythos out there? I can't go 2 posts without reading some EA bashing. Me, I have no axe to grind with EA, I don't usually find myself playing their games, I'm more into the indies who develop games like Path of Exile or Warframe. 

I was just wondering if the six-year assertion was part of the usual EA trash talk, or had some reality behind it.

Message 10 of 12 (261 Views)
Twitter Stream