Re: next gen consoles giving an advantage?

by MyName1sNotJohn

Original Post

★★★★ Expert
@PeterN_UK nice review mate, but wouldn't the next-gen console take advantage of VRR with compatible tv to raise that FPS to 120?
so the console and the TV will be working together to keep it on steady FPS all the time
Message 11 of 34 (297 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@aisthebestletter Yes, most people don't have a PS4 Pro or Xbox X so they have the advantage over previous models too and people with better TV's and headsets and controllers have an advantage over....

You see where I'm going, it's the way it's going now similar to PC gaming.
Message 12 of 34 (293 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@maximas1986

VRR is great if want to prevent screen tearing on consoles.

But I guess if me I would want "consistent" locked FPS of 60 than "variable" 60-120FPS. Sudden FPS changes between 60-120FPS in fast moving game would definitely throw me off.

@CAGOA34

Apex lets PC players plug in a controller. i.e. Streamer called NiceWigg uses controller to wipe PC M&K players.

But they don't let console players plug in mouse and keyboard.

Message 13 of 34 (279 Views)

Champion
@maximas1986 My plan is to give my son my ps4 too......if I'm ever allowed to buy a ps5.

I am on an original ps4 see huge frame decreases, especially by the bonsai towers area with the huge walls.
Message 14 of 34 (276 Views)

On my One S I would say my average FPS is mid 40s-low 50s. Lowest drops at mid 30s. I also get near-constant micro-stutters every 10-15 seconds with the “player prediction” error symbol, occasionally half-second freezes during gunfights, and all that combined, along with the horrible resolution makes for a frustrating experience on current gen.

so I would imagine that people like me are at a disadvantage compared to the next gen consoles with resolution at or above 1080p and basically constant 60fps.

Message 15 of 34 (257 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@BaldWraithSimp It is... xD. Console gamers tend to want the same experience. We shell basically the same amount on the console so we want an even playing field. Except for the mid-gen console buyers. We don’t really care about them.

This is also the reason why I bet with @hayhor that there will not be a substantial performance boost on current gen as opposed to prev gen. Devs know that console players want basically the same experience xD. So unless they start going the pc route now all of a sudden, it’ll stay the same.

I really don’t care about all that tho cause even with same console one can have a different experience than the other. An og Xbox One hooked up to an oldschool 1080p television playing on normal xbox controller with crappy-moderate internet connection vs Xbox One X with latest 4K television (obviously with game mode) hooked up to Xbox Elite controller series 2 with added soundcard hooked up to fibre optic... who’ll win if they are evenly skilled... except in apex where the lesser internet has an advantage xD.

@PeterN_UK entirely true. Well said.

@maximas1985 You would think that but I think not. Just as I said before, ‘even playing field’. Who knows, I might get proven wrong but they’ve done it this way for most mp game since the beginning so I don’t think they’ll start soon. It would def be doable to get apex to run at 60-120 on next gen... either at 1080p, 1440 or 4K even without VRR or G-sync (LG TVs) but for now I don’t think they’ll do it xD.
Message 16 of 34 (252 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Ugh what is bugging me about next gen consoles is that with Cyberpunk I don't have a straight answer about save game files. I've hit CD Projekt's forum and twitter and nothing. People are asking but silence, not even a no or maybe from developers. I've even kept up to date with developers video updates too.

Can you take the saved game file and use it on dedicated next gen edition of Cyberpunk next year.

i.e.

- Xbox One X save file and use on Xbox One Series X 

- PS4 save file and use on PS5

- Maybe as a bonus between next gen Xbox and PS even as cross save

Not on the backward compatible version but the dedicated next gen console edition when it releases next year.

Message 17 of 34 (245 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Koochi-Q Exactly. There are two many variables, you won't ever have a fair matchmaking lol. If someone shells more money than you for an upgrade, he would deffo have better hardware. Next people will demand matchmaking based on 'gaming chairs' lol :D
Message 18 of 34 (238 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@PeterN_UK I would assume so as with Xbox you get smart delivery so your save file goes through the washer and gets spruced-up graphics & performance. With most games it’s at no additional cost... some games tho... (Looking at you EA) you need to pay.

@BaldWraithSimp if you’re old enough to think rationally, you have lived long enough to know life’s not fair... why should gaming be any different XD. But gamers... as the generalized public... are just too self conceited and criticize others who have better stuff and go against them xD.

LOLZ ‘Do you even gaming chair bro?!’ xD
Message 19 of 34 (234 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@Koochi-Q The bottom bit that's my way of thinking, I've been fortunate enough to always afford the mid range stuff never the top monitor or top controller or top headset but always mid range.

Say fortunate because there's people below that have the low end stuff so yeah I get advantage over them the top guys they get advantage over me so know how if feels on both ends.

Just the way it is, we're not playing sonic in 16bit anymore it's a behemoth of an industry making unlimited money from giving people an edge.
Message 20 of 34 (228 Views)