Re: mass effect andromeda dlc

by LoveParusMajor

Original Post

★★★ Novice

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

@IshkaNizri;  Errrmmm... You did read that BioWare publically announced NO MORE WORK on Andromeda (beyond some MP missions) right?  So if you're waiting until they "fix" it, I think you can stop.

Oh no, I am not 'waiting' for anything. I know they have dropped MEA. I am just refusing to touch anything EA after they didnt even give us a DLC and telling them I wont ever unless they do something about this massive error they have made. That is a decision they can retcon at anytime, not that I expect them to for one person but I feel better knowing they will get no more $$ from me.

Message 121 of 134 (1,874 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Im with ya.. Do they seriously expect people to buy Anthem after this??

They screwed us over by dropping ME franchise, I'm not going to buy any EA game in the future.

And this should be a norm to every gamer. 

Things would change quickly once their money runs out.

Message 122 of 134 (1,852 Views)

@LoveParusMajor

Sadly, they make huge money off BF, FIFA, and Madden people who will mirco-transactioin themselves to death playing a game that is almost the same as last year, but has a new name and gimmick.  These players have no care for ME, and see nothing wrong with a cash grab Anthem shooter that they will play, drop some money on packs on and then move on.  As far as EA goes, ME fans are a small percentage of their revenue and they think they will come back to the next new "Space RPG" they release because we like "Space RPGs" and can't remember what happened last year.....Sadly, if Anthem fails they will not see it as them having ------- the pooch, but as the genre being "dead" and they will move on to creating the next FIFA secure in the knowledge it will sell to all the rabid fans that keep coming out to buy it, and feeling so smart that they dropped the "Dead Genre".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 123 of 134 (1,847 Views)

★ Pro

@TheCrimsonFuqr wrote:

Im with ya.. Do they seriously expect people to buy Anthem after this??

They screwed us over by dropping ME franchise, I'm not going to buy any EA game in the future.

And this should be a norm to every gamer. 

Things would change quickly once their money runs out.

Yeah Anthem. I've been looking at that but I already have an idea where some of that is going. It's not going to be what I would hope it to be. EA's direction is clear and I think we'll see with BF2 how much of a crapstorm their RNG crates will be. Here's a link if you want to know what I'm talking about http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/07/opinion-star-wars-battlefront-2-beta-raises-pay-to-win-fears

My fear is that Anthem will follow a similar path with loot crates since we've seen already that gearing is done via loot crates. The problem I have with these loot crates is that it's all RNG and it will be Pay2Win because you can buy yourself into an advantage. Anthem will be more PvE oriented but even then it looks like EA is aiming to cash in on people's desire to progress more quickly and get an edge. In fact EA has reacted to the Pay2Win fears for BF2 and they aren't even denying it, they just speak about finding the right balance.

It seems to me that Bioware is no longer looking at creating Bioware games but copying other games to cash in on micro-transactions.

Also looking at how EA just closed Visceral down, there is the realistic chance that after ME:A bombing that Anthem might be make or break for Bioware to stay in existence. In the end it's a shame that ME:A is not getting any dlc, but I will also be interested to see if Bioware as a company will still exist in say 2020. 

Message 124 of 134 (1,833 Views)

Hero

@EgoMania wrote:

It seems to me that Bioware is no longer looking at creating Bioware games but copying other games to cash in on micro-transactions.

BioWare Edmonton is the only EA studio that makes single player RPGs. As long as there's a market for those, EA won't allow BioWare to transform completely. Anthem is a game they need right now to get a steady income through microtransactions (like Star Wars: The Old Republic). I think they're going to keep that running for as long as possible while continuing to make single player games.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 125 of 134 (1,819 Views)

★★★★ Novice

And to think I actually welcomed EA buying bioware 10 years ago, thinking now that they have even more resources they will make miracles. Frown * I was stupid.

If I had enough money, I would buy off rights to MA franchise from those greedy * and gave it to CDPR to develop new game... But everything we can do now is rage against franchise killer thats EA.

Message 126 of 134 (1,810 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
TheCrimsonFuqr - EA stands for Extreme Arseholes in my opinion, bunch of *. I truly hope Mass Effect one day ends up with people that actually care about it. And not jus the profits side of it. CDPR would be gr8 but that'll never happen
Message 127 of 134 (1,795 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Apparently EA is good at screwing up a great game. I was very disappointed  in EA when they dropped Crysis, a game that I loved and still do play even today. Dropping ME is just another disappointment from EA.

Message 128 of 134 (1,784 Views)

★ Pro

@Fred_vdp wrote:

BioWare Edmonton is the only EA studio that makes single player RPGs. As long as there's a market for those, EA won't allow BioWare to transform completely. Anthem is a game they need right now to get a steady income through microtransactions (like Star Wars: The Old Republic). I think they're going to keep that running for as long as possible while continuing to make single player games.

Tell that to Visceral. SWTOR, didn't have those microtransactions at the start and the gambling packs have gotten them into trouble it seems. They still offer them but there are suddenly a lot more direct sale items. Like a LOT. People like myself used to buy a lot of those packs as an investment into the game, to help keep it alive. Seeing that the game didn't get any commitment that way also killed my commitment so I stopped buying them altogether last year.

Edmonton is doing Anthem and it's a 10 year engagement as they see it. EA is already allowing and probably demanding that Bioware transforms. Here's the thing, if Anthem bombs then Bioware might be wiped off the board  just like Visceral. Visceral's game is probably also a game that will be a vehicle for microtransactions from what I can tell. If Anthem succeeds, I wonder if EA wants them to go back to their old style single player games at all. I don't think so. I think they will want Bioware to push further in that direction.

I do hope I'm wrong but EA is an investment company that wants to maximize their gains. They don't care about the actual games, just the profit they can turn. I think we'll see what BF2 will bring very soon but I think it's not going to be something I'll enjoy and it will be a sign of things to come rather than an exception to the rule.

The thing is that Anthem may be successful, but it may not be. They thought they were going to change the world with SWTOR in the MMO genre. It failed. And Anthem may follow that same path as well. There are already other games out there like Destiny and now Destiny 2. The problem with copying a game like that and just adding some of your own flavour to it, is that a new game will generally offer less than an existing game. They will have to appeal to the same crowd that plays games like that. They tried exactly that with SWTOR by taking a great IP and adding a thin copy of WoW-style endgame and amenities...very thin. The original stories were good, but the rest was and still is lacking. I actually play it for the old content that was good but if it hadn't been Star Wars I would've abandoned it a long time ago if I'm honest.

So Anthem will be a 3rd person version of Destiny 2 it seems like. I think a lot of people will refer to it as that. It will have to be pretty damn good in all sorts of ways to make it stand out. And agressive pay2win style microtransactions might just be the sort of thing that can sour a lot of people on a game. That's why I am interested in BF2 to see how that works. Personally I don't want it, but I'm just one person. Of course I am the person who decides where my money goes. 

If BF2 works and people want this style of microtransactions and spend a couple of hundred bucks a month to stay ahead of the competition, I guess I'll have to conclude I'm getting too old for this stuff.

That's why I like paying for DLC better. I pay for actual content then. Maybe times are changing and I am getting too old. It's not necessarily just a joke but I can think of a lot of other ways to spend that money I suppose.

Well, it's all guessing at the moment, but things are shaping up in a way that makes me worry for the future of games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age and Bioware as a whole. Maybe it's tin foil hat stuff, maybe I'll end up being right about it. I certainly am not gonna put bets on either possibility at this stage.

Message 129 of 134 (1,757 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey mate, i totally agree, i have cancelled my SWTOR sub, uninstalled all games and cancelled my EA Access account. EA can get stuffed after what they did with ME:A, i feel betrayed, ripped off and taken advantage of. The mea game was absolutly fantastic, and then they kill all single player dev, and whats even more insulting is they think a book will suffice. I loved being able to immerse myself in an interactive story; i don't want to read about it.. i want to experience it.

Oh well time to reinstall Star Trek Online, yeah the graphics my be * and the animations clunky but the story content is killer and that is what i want to pay for.

EA can get stuffed.... 

P.S. just a thought maybe the commjnity can crowd fund dlcs... just a thought, but the ME commjnuutg is quite large, i am sure funds can be raised.

Message 130 of 134 (1,736 Views)