Re: mass effect 3

by J2THE30301

Original Post

Accepted Solution

mass effect 3

★ Apprentice

I am so frustrated with trying to launch this game form the EA client that it beggars description. I have repeatedly tried to use the forum, EA technical support, and Google search engine to find a solution for the launch problem, and NOTHING, and I do mean NOTHING works. I am ready to pull my hair out over this! Is there anyone out there in the community that REALLY knows how to resolve this issue? I have tried all the tricks..ie clearing the cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, dll fixes, rebooting the client, etc. What the hell is going on with this one game and the EA server? None of my other games, including the other Mass Effect game series, have this issue. I'll get the damn game to work once and then it goes back to the same ole BS with not being able to launch. WTF?!

Message 1 of 13 (2,581 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

FIXED IT!

By sheer luck i stumbled on a reddit post in the Mass Effect reddit that complained of the game not launching, and another post on the ME3 section of EA forums that had the same sounding issue. Apparently the solution was to delete the EA licenses folder and have the game reacquire the license on startup again.

Quick steps:

• Make sure Origin and Steam are closed.
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%\Electronic Arts\EA Services" (without the quotes) into the new Window > ENTER (this is a hidden folder so you may have to enable visibility in windows explorer to see it)
  • Move the "License" folder to your desktop, or delete it (games will reacquire the licenses automatically on startup IIRC)
  • Test.

There must be some conflict between the Steam copy and Origin copy license-wise making the game fail Origins license check on startup. Now I gotta start fixing my hair after tearing it out for the past week due to this stupid issue.

View in thread

Message 8 of 13 (2,428 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Same, trying and failing to launch ME3 on this piece of user unfriendly garbage they call Origin. Honestly EA please consider deleting this heap of trash and using Steam.

Message 2 of 13 (2,560 Views)

Community Manager

Hey all, if having an issue launching a game then please let us know as much info as possible in a polite and constructive manner.

I tested my ME3 there and am able to launch and play it without any issue. As such, it is most likely a case that you are seeing a system issue.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 13 (2,550 Views)

★★★★ Novice

A sample size of just yourself isnt a real great indicator that its not an origin issue.

Everything was working just fine until an origin update, which I agreed to let it update and not go into offline mode, now after this update whenever i click on mass effect 3 to play it origin closes down then restarts itself on the homepage. I try to go to click play again and origin shuts down then restarts itself on the homepage, on and on and on.

As you may be able to imagine this is infuriating.

Message 4 of 13 (2,527 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @SinfulGroove I was merely pointing out that this is most likely a system issue rather than an Origin on, I'm not seeing other reports of this and am unable to recreate it. This is good news as it means that basic troubleshooting should be enough to get the issue sorted. 

The first thing to do is to try repairing the game. Open your My Game Library and then find the game tile and right-click on it. From here select repair and Origin will check your installed files for any issues and should it find any fix them.

If that does not help then let's clear the Origin Cache.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origi

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 13 (2,514 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Just a quick bump, this is still an ongoing issue and I havent been able to launch my Mass Effect 3 for over a week now. Tried EVERYTHING in this post and multiple other posts to no avail.

Origin still refuses to launch my game.

Message 6 of 13 (2,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

So sorry to hear about that, SInfulGroove. Care to tell what specs your computer has BTW? Also, How about letting the Mass Effect Games before 3 be more easily available on Origin as well?

Message 7 of 13 (2,437 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

FIXED IT!

By sheer luck i stumbled on a reddit post in the Mass Effect reddit that complained of the game not launching, and another post on the ME3 section of EA forums that had the same sounding issue. Apparently the solution was to delete the EA licenses folder and have the game reacquire the license on startup again.

Quick steps:

• Make sure Origin and Steam are closed.
  • Press the Windows key and "R" at the same time.
  • Type or copy and paste "%ProgramData%\Electronic Arts\EA Services" (without the quotes) into the new Window > ENTER (this is a hidden folder so you may have to enable visibility in windows explorer to see it)
  • Move the "License" folder to your desktop, or delete it (games will reacquire the licenses automatically on startup IIRC)
  • Test.

There must be some conflict between the Steam copy and Origin copy license-wise making the game fail Origins license check on startup. Now I gotta start fixing my hair after tearing it out for the past week due to this stupid issue.
Message 8 of 13 (2,429 Views)

★ Apprentice

@SinfulGroove Thanks for posting this solution. I will give it a try and see if I can get back to doing what I love, gaming in my favorite game series Mass Effect. I will drop another note to tell you my results.

Message 9 of 13 (2,411 Views)

★ Apprentice

@SinfulGroove I am so happy that I feel like doing a back flip with a full twist and go directly into a handspring! Your solution worked. Thank you again for your help and being a fellow Mass Effect enthusiast. 

Message 10 of 13 (2,399 Views)