Re: is it fair to use config file remove muzzle flash?

by newname4504

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Silz616 wrote:

I was not.

In my reply, I meant "you" as in anybody who changes parameters outside of the game settings can be tagged a cheater and I agree.

You were fishing for an answer that had already been given. Don't change the config. You then argued against that, which provoked my response. You were sounding like you wanted to change things outside of the game settings (you called some of this absurd).

You seem to be tying yourself in knots. If you haven't changed anything great. If you do, you are cheating the system imo be that as, eliminating muzzle flash, recoil or adjusting your field of view or mouse sensitivity . You were looking for justification in changing them beyond what the game menu would allow. You had multiple answers here advising you should not alter configs but you persisted in challenging that. You then went off on one at Zeels answer.

You are clearly trying to push the narrative that I am cheating and at the same time saying you are not.

The sad thing is we pretty much agree on the muzzle flash, but you seem to lack knowledge about what the config file is and hence this argument. I have never heard of anyone reducing recoil in the config file I am pretty sure thats something you made up, i am pretty sure you can't increase fov beyond the limits and i am not sure why you would increase mouse sens beyond its limits.

And yes i find it absurd that I am not allowed to back up my config file for when i format my pc.

Message 31 of 67 (1,027 Views)

★★ Guide

@Aurabliss wrote:

@Pantleon  MY GOD..... I bet your the kind of person that walks into a supermarket and complains that the orange juice isn't made with real oranges and you keep harassing the employees who keep telling you its not real but you won't accept the answer.  

Why are there settings in the config file? Why is it in plain text? Why are most config files in my documents? Do you know if you can set fov beyond what the limits are in the game?

Can you answer any of these questions or are you gonna turn to ad hominem and carry out another personal attack?

Message 32 of 67 (1,025 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

In anything competitive, using any unfair advantage is considered cheating. It's simple and easy to buy an .exe that aims for you too. Getting no muzzle flash can only be achieved from a gold stabilizer, so having that all the time is definitely cheating. I know that a lot of players get convinced to do these things by dying several times, thinking someone must be cheating. Finally, they give in instead of practicing more. This muddies the waters.

I would say to anyone in that spot to be that odd one standing out. If you really like Apex, focus on improving with your friends and progress with it. Don't focus on using advantages over other players, because if you beat them in-game ... you never really did. And if someone beats you while you're all modded out that's also kinda embarrassing.

and I'm sincerely not accusing you whatsoever here, just throwing out my thoughts on this

Message 33 of 67 (1,019 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@Pantleon wrote:

@Silz616 wrote:

I was not.

In my reply, I meant "you" as in anybody who changes parameters outside of the game settings can be tagged a cheater and I agree.

You were fishing for an answer that had already been given. Don't change the config. You then argued against that, which provoked my response. You were sounding like you wanted to change things outside of the game settings (you called some of this absurd).

You seem to be tying yourself in knots. If you haven't changed anything great. If you do, you are cheating the system imo be that as, eliminating muzzle flash, recoil or adjusting your field of view or mouse sensitivity . You were looking for justification in changing them beyond what the game menu would allow. You had multiple answers here advising you should not alter configs but you persisted in challenging that. You then went off on one at Zeels answer.

You are clearly trying to push the narrative that I am cheating and at the same time saying you are not.

The sad thing is we pretty much agree on the muzzle flash but you seem to lack knowledge about what the config file is and hence this argument.

@Pantleon I'm sorry. I think I have taken your questions in this thread, to literally in the context of this thread and it's title and not from your standpoint. I have assumed your questions were to lever the argument to justify altering muzzle flash.

I think maybe your questions would have been better served in a separate thread, but I apologise regardless, as I think I've got the wrong end of the stick. I jumped on my soap box of exploiters and cheaters.

My apologies.

Message 34 of 67 (1,006 Views)

★★ Guide

"And yes i find it absurd that I am not allowed to back up my config file for when i format my pc."

I didn't read this before.

.......Ok now I'm accusing you. Large smile nah but hopefully you're aren't, because any exploiting has a nasty butterfly effect in-game with others. Both sides. An unfair victory is never earned and you'll improve at a slower rate.

Message 35 of 67 (987 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Pantleon wrote:

@DontSilenceMe wrote:

It's cheating...your modding game files...it's against every tos and coc ever put on a game

Are you sure? Its pretty common to change your mouse and fov settings in the cfg files or copying your config file over after you have formatted...

I mean you would litterly brand half the playerbase cheaters.

Suspicious how you are found on every single post about cheating, defending cheaters.

And yes, adding, subtracting ot modifying game files is cheating in literally every case.

Not one game in the world that won't bann you for doing that.

Message 36 of 67 (982 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Gidoru wrote:

I dont think its cheating simply because the amount of muzzle flash in this game is BEYOND STUPID. When you literally cant see the person you're shooting because of muzzle flash theres a problem.

What really needs to happen is the developers need to get off their * and address muzzle flash toning it down massively. They havent even acknowledge that its a issue at this point which is quite concerning. I dont care if theirs 'intention' to have muzzle flash like this, its a stupid and bad design decision. 

Mate... if you every shot real guns before you'd know that the muzzle flash in this game isn't that much after all.

Message 37 of 67 (979 Views)

[ Edited ]

Come on guys.
This is disappointing me a bit.

Don't mess with file and just use the in-game option menu.
It's the best way to not get banned, if you change anything you accept will accept the consequences.

No need to say oh he is cheating or being a snowflake.

We are here to get or give answers, not to to accuse someone.

Zeelmaekers

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 38 of 67 (979 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Silz616 wrote:

@Pantleon wrote:

@Zeelmaekers wrote:

Hey

I don't recommend changing anything in the cfg files.
If you want to change settings, please use the options menu.

This is also counts for mouse sensitivity.

Zeelmaekers

I am not looking for a recomendation, I just want a proper answer from someone with the authority to make one.

You have slapped down your answer as the official solution and at the same time pointed out you don't really have the authority to answer the question which makes no sense at all...

The mental gymnastics are real. You are altering a mechanic of the game with options that are not available in the game setting menu. Why not remove smoke and recoil while you're at it. That wouldn't be cheating either in your book?

Just play the game as is with the settings provided. Why oh why do people look for advantages at every turn and then try to justify it.

Just don't do it and you're safe... but hey, you might get beaten by other players then. Can't be having that.

Pantleon is found on literally every post about every kind of cheating defending cheaters.

I smell a Rat.

Message 39 of 67 (978 Views)

★★★ Guide

Mendo found a similar exploit that got rid of smoke effect. I'm pretty sure it got patched, so I can see this getting patched too.

Message 40 of 67 (978 Views)