Re: is 120-150ms ping the best ping to play Apex?

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

is 120-150ms ping the best ping to play Apex?

★ Expert

Why does it feel like I don't get beamed as much when I play on servers where I have 120-150 ping but I still do "normal" damage to the enemies?
For this day I played a total of 6 games and won 4 of them where I ended with 2 digit kills and atleast 2k damage.
So if you're interested try looking for servers that have 120-150ms ping and maybe you'll see improvements(assuming the server doesn't have packet loss,choke,bad in and out)
I don't know maybe I'm just going crazy.

Message 1 of 8 (3,741 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Daze623 I haven't noticed this, to be honest I never really change server either!
Message 2 of 8 (3,738 Views)

★ Expert
@rockyboy1998 I usually play on SG server(50-80ms) but when I swap to tokyo I would have 120-150ms ping the only downside is that sometimes I would have connectivity issues like packet loss and/or choke.
Message 3 of 8 (3,729 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Daze623 I can’t... I just can’t. My whole life I lived a sheltered one with food, electronics and digital packages and speed in the proper configurations. As such speeds for me rarely go beyond 40ms (most often I get 10-25 in games) and thats a rare outlier.

When I first did 120+ (which was in apex playing with @DarthValtrex)... it felt awful. Bullets that should connect didn’t... being around a corner for a solid second and still getting hit as opposed to being behind cover for a 1/10th to 3/10ths of a second and getting shot... having to trace a target and aiming in front when they run perpendicular...

Screw that xD. Now I can do it better after having played more games but it just feels awful.

I know my fellow (west) europeans feel the same!
Message 4 of 8 (3,719 Views)

★ Expert
@Koochi-Q Oh yeah!
getting hit behind cover is one of the downsides too but I usually just don't let my health go down that much anymore + the shield regen is really amazing right now.
Message 5 of 8 (3,714 Views)

Champion
@Daze623 I switch between lower ping(20 to 45ms) and higher ping(110 to 165ms) because I play with someone in the UK most of the time. Whoever invites gets the better ping. I generally do better on the lower ping but still have a good experience on the higher ping. My normal teammate has the same experience.

This is why I laugh when people complain about ping being 60. It isnt ping at that level, it is quality and stability. Packet loss and in/out mean much more.
Message 6 of 8 (3,709 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Daze623 Haven’t played in a while. got all my dailies done... didn’t even think about that I could get daily packs done before all comics were published and then suddenly it ended and I was like “wth kind of weird cliffhanger is this till S8?!” and then I saw... oh still 2 more comics need to be released xD. So I’ve been mostly playing Outriders but finished that after a week and since there’s a game breaking bug, put that on hold and playing monster hunter rise xD.
Message 7 of 8 (3,707 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Daze623 When a server is further away, there are more possible routes, so more chances of avoiding congestion and getting a less spikey data rate. Also, if there's a big difference between your time zone and that of the data center's location and you play during peak hours, chances are for that data center to not be that busy as it's off peak. Then, data centers can differ in provider (for example GCE are google, some of the rest may be AWS / Azure), size or hardware age. Infrastructure around data centers may also be better in more developed and populated regions.
Message 8 of 8 (3,699 Views)