family sharing

by GreeyGreey

Original Post

Accepted Solution

family sharing

★ Apprentice

EA PLEASE DO FAMILY SHARING OMG!!

Who has a family amember that want to play the same games?! The most. What does the member need to do?

RIGHT<. HE NEED TO BUY THE SAME GAMES TWICE. 

OMG so pahtetic. EA Image is Money-Lover, I hope they change it one day! Like in Steam <3.

Message 1 of 36 (53,762 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: family sharing

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@ivrognard

Good explanation Standard smile

@GreeyGreey

We agree with you. So while it's not available yet currently, it's something that's high on our list to look at.

Kind regards,

View in thread

Message 6 of 36 (53,835 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

@GreeyGreey

Hi,

As you can read in the main thread on this topic:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Can-you-share-your-game-library-like-in-Steam-on-Origin...

We've received quite a few comments about this and understand the importance of having this feature. If more news becomes available we'll share it with our players.

Message 2 of 36 (53,655 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I don't understand it, how could this be so difficult I wont buy games anymore and of course not twice!

We wanted it about 3 Years wh is it so difficult! EA is just saying that they are worjing about that, but its just saying! IU don't think that they are working at that, money is for them to precious!!

Message 3 of 36 (53,652 Views)

[ Edited ]

@GreeyGreey let's see: it took to Steam only 10 years to add that feature (family sharing was added in 2013 and Steam launched in 2003). Origin, as a client was launched in 2011 and has a lot to catch-up. So, i am sorry to say it, but isn't that easy to implement new features. It takes a lot of time and work. For every new feature that you see in Steam, there is usually a great amount of work behind it. 

Origin, GOG Galaxy, uPlay are playing catch-up. They need to add features, but they also need to come up with some new ones, to make their client different . So, basically they are challenging a platform that had 15 years to mature. Except Steam, no other client has family sharing (for now).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 4 of 36 (53,612 Views)

★ Apprentice
Ok I hope it comes one day! It is just annoying that we have pay twice....
Message 5 of 36 (53,608 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@ivrognard

Good explanation Standard smile

@GreeyGreey

We agree with you. So while it's not available yet currently, it's something that's high on our list to look at.

Kind regards,

Message 6 of 36 (53,836 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@ivrognard wrote:

@GreeyGreey let's see: it took to Steam only 10 years to add that feature (family sharing was added in 2013 and Steam launched in 2003). Origin, as a client was launched in 2011 and has a lot to catch-up. So, i am sorry to say it, but isn't that easy to implement new features. It takes a lot of time and work. For every new feature that you see in Steam, there is usually a great amount of work behind it. 

Origin, GOG Galaxy, uPlay are playing catch-up. They need to add features, but they also need to come up with some new ones, to make their client different . So, basically they are challenging a platform that had 15 years to mature. Except Steam, no other client has family sharing (for now).

Bit disingenuous in all respects, really. About GOG Galaxy, because there's no DRM on their platform. They say you can install your games on as many computers as you like in your household, and whoever lives in your house can play them, and like Steam family sharing for multiplayer is dependent on the publisher's policies. Worse still - there's actually EA games on GOG and EA games on Steam that support family sharing. But buying them from Origin? No. No chance.

About Origin only being a "new" client. EA have had seven years to do this and they haven't done anything. Ubisoft may not care at all about DRM, but Microsoft Store launched in 2012. And guess what - they have advanced family sharing features. Better still - we can share Play Anywhere games not only across Microsoft accounts, but also across the same consoles and PCs. Meanwhile, XBL and PSN users can share games on the same console and across linked consoles and family accounts - and to make matters worse, you can share EA games and those games require the users to also have an EA account - the same one used for Origin. Before up to 2009, everything still worked on CD keys anyway, so family sharing wasn't a priority for Steam, and it was only then that they introduced their DRM. So Steam actually got their family sharing out in four years - and EA have had seven.

Prior to the release of the Xbox One and PS4, game sharing was a different proposition and it was difficult - with the Xbox 360 you had to mess around with content licenses, you could only play them on that console, etc. But now thanks to Origin DRM we can't even play them on the same machine. We've gone backwards - we've taken a significant step backwards.

What is Origin? A way for EA to not pay 30% to Valve? And a way for DRM to be enforced? These excuses don't fly. They're not adding features. EA don't care about family sharing on Origin. The money you'd spend on two or more copies of the same game, or two EA Access subscriptions, that doesn't go to improving and maintaining Origin. Billion dollar profits? We're having trouble implementing something we've already implemented on two consoles?

Don't make me laugh. There'll be no double purchases. Not from EA, not from Atvi, not from Ubisoft, not from Steam if they don't support family sharing. My wife and I share finances, we have the absolute right to share these purchases like we share Netflix or Spotify. Hell, there won't even be a single purchase. Denuvo and DRM are a failure. They don't protect EA's IP and they restrict customers unfairly. There's no value with being honest and buying from Origin. They undermine their own platform, so my cash can go elsewhere.

Message 7 of 36 (53,445 Views)

★★★ Guide

If/when they do implement family sharing I really hope they don't follow Steam's example which is terrible.

A family member playing one game from a library should not lock out all the other games in the library from being played while they are.

Message 8 of 36 (53,425 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Kenny32673

That's interesting feedback. Thank you for sharing Standard smile

Any other thoughts?

Message 9 of 36 (53,400 Views)

★★★★ Novice

hello, as a suggestion i think ea should also look into adding a family option to the premiere access. 

Message 10 of 36 (53,001 Views)